• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Are there any plans to update the graphics?
07-02-2011, 09:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-02-2011, 09:14 AM by Al Amos.)
RE: Are there any plans to update the graphics?
I agree the game can use another 3d zoom level. I'd love that, and have trouble following the game as well. John Tiller makes PzC, Paul Bueffel makes AW. HPS sells both. They both have thier own style and hire thier own artist. There is no crossover. HPS sells both, that's all.

PzC was not John's first game series, and that series has enjoyed a VERY loyal fan base that has modded the heck out of the artwork to make it much prettier. I was wondering if you liked the artwork that came on the PzC CDs, the unmodded stuff you actually buy. ;-)

Paul's Ancient Wars series is his VERY first, and a great first attempt it is! It has a lot of room to grow, and Paul has learned alot since releasing Punic Wars. He has a full-time job on top of developing AW. He's done a fantastic job on a very thin shoestring budget. He has been listening very intently to what his customer's want, and has implemented many of thier ideas. I wouldn't be surprised he agrees with your desire for an additional zoom level, but I'm not promising anything, or speaking for him.

If, I had the time and ability to mod some of the 2D artwork, I would to spice it up, but his 3D work is very appealing to me. Now I have noticed as I've migrated to larger and larger screens over the years, I've seen more and more of the battle area in 3D. If you have a big screen TV that you can plug into your CPU, you may want to try that to see what you see. :-)

Artwork is very expensive, and PzC has enjoyed volunteer FREE artwork from its fan base to bring its eye-candy appeal to acceptable levels. Perhaps some willing soul would extend this charity to Paul to upgrade the 2d artwork for his series. Just a thought.
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2011, 09:48 AM,
(07-02-2011, 09:12 AM)Al Amos Wrote: Artwork is very expensive, and PzC has enjoyed volunteer FREE artwork from its fan base to bring its eye-candy appeal to acceptable levels. Perhaps some willing soul would extend this charity to Paul to upgrade the 2d artwork for his series. Just a thought.

That would work. As for PzC I'm playing F 14 now with the CD map and unit graphics, so for me, it's nice stuff. I think I'd be playing AW if there were a 3D zoom out. ;)
07-04-2011, 04:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-04-2011, 05:06 PM by Wolfgang.)
Hey there - well... actually I've been thinking the 2D terrain graphics could use a bit of an update and so have been kinda tinkering with that. I may just go ahead and drive that lil project home.

Also thinking of alternatives to the standard UN symbology too. Something more... 'ancient'.

And there could be a way to mod the current 3D graphics to give a 3D zoom-out view (but the units wouldn't appear to change their facing - I'd have to use the current 2D Zoom- symbols that indicate that). Basically instead of the stock 2D zoom in, you'd see the same lil guys instead of counters. But wow - there are a million units to mod in this game!! Its pretty daunting.
One thing is: the 3D view is at a different perspective than the overhead 2D view so the units may look kinda... funky but its worth a try.

If I can figure out a method that works - then I can relay that to others who may wanna pitch in.

Maybe we can get volunteers? - i'm sure there is some boilerplate method that can be found to mod them consistently.
Send this user an email
07-25-2011, 09:59 PM,
Basically the graphics are good enough. Nevertheless, I think a zoom in 3D (at least two levels) is neccesary. Because of this I prefer to play large battles in 2D.
07-26-2011, 07:13 PM,
I did start some work on the counters - been uber busy lately though - but will probably have some 2D terrain files out soon.

Will post updates to my blog here on the ancient wars page as the mission progresses:
http://grognardgamer.blogspot.com/p/ancient-wars.html

[Image: AWcounterMod.png]
Send this user an email
07-26-2011, 08:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-26-2011, 08:56 PM by Pepe Botijo.)
Thanks for your work Ironwulf. It´s easier to distinguish both sides.
07-27-2011, 01:17 PM,
(07-26-2011, 07:13 PM)Ironwulf Wrote: I did start some work on the counters - been uber busy lately though - but will probably have some 2D terrain files out soon.

Will post updates to my blog here on the ancient wars page as the mission progresses:
http://grognardgamer.blogspot.com/p/ancient-wars.html

[Image: AWcounterMod.png]

Thanks Wulfmann, this is good!!! Big Grin