• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Are there any plans to update the graphics?
06-25-2011, 06:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-26-2011, 05:52 AM by jonnymacbrown.)
Are there any plans to update the graphics?
The jump map is pretty horrible. The 2D map is too. I'd a thunk that after all these years of HPS development something better could have emerged. jonny :conf:

I'd like to add that I certainly won't buy another title in this series.:(
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2011, 09:19 AM,
RE: Are there any plans to update the graphics?
Sorry to hear that the 3D graphics are great and I've seen a peak at the (shhhh) new 3D graphics that will be in the next title. I think you'd like them. ;-)
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
06-26-2011, 09:50 AM,
(06-26-2011, 09:19 AM)Al Amos Wrote: Sorry to hear that the 3D graphics are great and I've seen a peak at the (shhhh) new 3D graphics that will be in the next title. I think you'd like them. ;-)

Well I hope so because they way things are now I'm really reluctant to even open up the game to take a look at it. I'm used to PzC where the jump maps are excellent and really, let's face it, the jump map as well as all the 2D graphics are really hard to look at and use. The 3D is better but the observation window is so small it is difficult to gauge the situation with any kind of accuracy (I have a big screen) and turning to the jump map is no help at all. It pains me to look at it. :mad::eek1::(:hissy:
06-27-2011, 05:34 PM,
I'd had a look at the 2d, and the file structures used appear to be similar enough (not identical) to Tiller's use - in other words, the programs are calling on bmp files with the pertinent hex info.

At some point I might give it a try, but there are a lot of things on the burner at the moment; however too - well, there isn't anything stopping anyone from giving it a shot as far as I'm aware. All it is, is image editing. :)

Bydand
Send this user an email
06-27-2011, 05:53 PM,
(06-27-2011, 05:34 PM)trauth116 Wrote: I'd had a look at the 2d, and the file structures used appear to be similar enough (not identical) to Tiller's use - in other words, the programs are calling on bmp files with the pertinent hex info.

At some point I might give it a try, but there are a lot of things on the burner at the moment; however too - well, there isn't anything stopping anyone from giving it a shot as far as I'm aware. All it is, is image editing. :)

I could forget about the 2D and the jump map if there were a 3D zoom out. It's just too darn difficult to figure out what is going on. :conf::rolleyes:
06-27-2011, 08:57 PM,
Maybe so, although I can't say that I have taken the time to learn the game properly yet. I am going to have to site down with the rules and devote some time to learn the system.

The thing is that the zoom in levels of the 2d are basically using 3d graphics on a 2d hex scheme (or as near as I can tell by looking atthe Graphics folder. )

Anyways, that is getting away from modding, and getting into the actual design aspects, asking for another 3d level, and I was only intending to limit my comments to modding.
Bydand
Send this user an email
07-01-2011, 11:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2011, 11:50 AM by jonnymacbrown.)
(06-27-2011, 08:57 PM)trauth116 Wrote: Anyways, that is getting away from modding, and getting into the actual design aspects, asking for another 3d level, and I was only intending to limit my comments to modding.

There are two 3d levels in PzC. The thing I notice is that every game seems to be a poor cousin to PzC; and it doesn't matter which one, ACW, AW, Napoleonic, you name it. You should take a look at the unit icons in the Napoleonic series: They wonder why the games don't sell? Overall, the graphics are poorer, the jump map is poorer, everything is poorer, sorry to say. The game system in AW might be great but who wants to play? Not me. What could be more depressing than going to Budapest in 1945? East Prussia maybe but at least it's playable and clean to view. jonny :conf:
07-01-2011, 05:42 PM,
(07-01-2011, 11:27 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote:
(06-27-2011, 08:57 PM)trauth116 Wrote: Anyways, that is getting away from modding, and getting into the actual design aspects, asking for another 3d level, and I was only intending to limit my comments to modding.

There are two 3d levels in PzC...

What I wasn't aware of was that AW only had a single 3D level, I think that I probably am aware of what PzC has.

As for the rest, suit yourself. ;)

Bydand
Send this user an email
07-01-2011, 09:19 PM,
DIfferent designers, and PZC has been modded to death. I wonder if you like the graphics that come straight from the CD?
Al Amos
Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. - Proverbs 1:7 The Message
07-02-2011, 01:59 AM,
(07-01-2011, 09:19 PM)Al Amos Wrote: DIfferent designers, and PZC has been modded to death. I wonder if you like the graphics that come straight from the CD?

I like the 3D graphics in AW but because it's impossible to take a larger view it is very difficult (for me) to play because I can't see the larger picture except for the jump map and zoom out 2D which are eyesores. I guess I am spoiled by PzC and I can't understand why the innovations and executions (like in art) can be easily attainable in other games, or at least recognized. Obviously I am interested in this game (I bought it) but very disappointed and I don't believe I am the only one who feels this way. But what do you mean about "graphics that come straight from the CD?" Are there alternatives? jonny :conf: