• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A Close Run Thing
06-03-2011, 06:12 PM,
RE: A Close Run Thing
If this is any help, a while back I had the idea to update some of the old stock WF scens, with the view to incorporate some of the important changes this great old game has seen since the early days, particularly but not only the great change in transport ratios.
I obtained agreement from the hierarchy whilst advertising my intentions on the board. These were agreed. I concentrated on the .scn file, making alterations mostly to the SPs both to change the transport numbers, and alter the SPs of combat elements to push the scenario (most of these old WF scens favour one side or the other quite markedly) back to the middle.
There was no opposition expressed, nor indeed much interest, apart from a wise head or two suggesting I was wasting my time. They were right. I did a few, dropped the idea and found other fish to fry. The changed scens (different file names) remain in the DB, along with the originals.

Huib is right. Find a battle that suits you, do the research, start from scratch. Getting the map right is half the battle. OOB...you will find many interpretations of who had what, especially if you move out of the comfort zone of Germany/US/Commonwealth. Take which authority you trust, or split the difference between two different sources. The Scenario Editor....well IMO the toughest aspect to get right is the victory conditions. Good Luck.
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2011, 09:39 PM,
Maybe I over reacted and maybe not.......let me expalin it this way..........I don't care if someone uses my map file or OOB file feel free......if you make major changes just save them with a different name........as for my scenarios.......should you want to change them please write your own version..changing an existing scenario is like changing someones painting,poem,book etc.......no one will complain if you make your own....permanently changing an original is something else all together.

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
06-04-2011, 12:20 AM,
In the songwriting biz, the unwritten rule is you can't copy more than 8 bars of music (not lyrics). Anything after that is considered a possible infringement. I don't see much harm in employing the same philosophy, use someone else's work as a template or jumping off point, but then make it your own. In the end if it resembles the original too much, rewrite. Absolutely change the name.

As for John's idea of password protection, that would be perfect, provided Jason Petho and the Matrix Boys (they should start a band) could pull it off.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
06-04-2011, 01:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-04-2011, 01:25 AM by Jason Petho.)
(06-04-2011, 12:20 AM)Scud Wrote: ... (they should start a band)...

.jpg   The-Imperial-March.jpg (Size: 169.12 KB / Downloads: 16)
Send this user an email
06-04-2011, 04:23 AM,
(06-03-2011, 09:39 PM)Von Earlmann Wrote: Maybe I over reacted and maybe not.......let me expalin it this way..........I don't care if someone uses my map file or OOB file feel free......if you make major changes just save them with a different name........as for my scenarios.......should you want to change them please write your own version..changing an existing scenario is like changing someones painting,poem,book etc.......no one will complain if you make your own....permanently changing an original is something else all together.

VE

Earl,

You did not overreact.
In fact I thought everyone put out multiple reasons for not messing with an active, existing designer's scenarios, in a calm and reasonable manner.

Any mention of "heat" or overreaction is a heated overreaction to a simple set of standards that were expressed? Seems that some have a different perception? :smoke:

No one here is a Rembrandt or Picasso? But, there are mighty fine custom scenarios that should be excluded from "tampering", as I would not paint a mustache on the Mona Lisa. :chin:
I've modded some scenarios. I've used maps from existing scenarios, mostly to cover battlegrounds from early or later periods in a "flip" effect, ie. a 1941 battle had the field portrayed in a 1943 battle.
In each I have changed the name of the map file or made a change in the scenario name (but, without uploading to the dBASE if it is a simple mod of an existing scenario).

I think you make great points here. :thumbs_up:

cheers

HSL