• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A Close Run Thing
06-01-2011, 11:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2011, 11:37 PM by Scud.)
RE: A Close Run Thing
Nope, this was a von Earlmann scenario (https://www.theblitz.club/scenarios/Camp...0&ladder=2) and thus the problem. (oops, sorry Huib, I misread your post, you're right, The Long Shot is a scenario by Von Niemack. Sorry about that).

If we can get some web help the plan is to remove his files, but players will still be able to put in requests through an email link and Earl will email out the files on his terms, which IMO is an OK work-around.

Troll, I should add this has been discussed before. Purely a logical and courteous thing to do, contacting the original designer first.

At some point I'll make a sticky to our forum reminding members that scenarios should be considered "copyrighted" by Blitz members. That should help going forward, and since there's not much we can do about what's past, let this drop.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2011, 11:31 PM,
(06-01-2011, 09:55 PM)Huib Versloot Wrote: ... if the battle is particularly interesting there is always the possibility to make your own version of the battle and make map, org and scn from scratch. It is the most rewarding way too....

Agreed.

Jason Petho

Send this user an email
06-02-2011, 12:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2011, 03:30 AM by Kool Kat.)
It is the courteous and proper action to ALWAYS contact the scenario designer prior to "modifying" current scenarios. This also holds true for persons who wish to utilize any of the player developed or "stock" map boards in their own scenarios.

There have been previous lengthy threads on the Blitz about this subject - especially focused on the naming and posting of scenario "variants" in the database.

Hopefully, all impacted parties can reach an understanding... apologize... share a "virtual" handshake... and move on from this unfortunate incident?

On a positive note... we'll get a clarification and written (not unwritten) rule / guideline on the "proper" way to seek permission to "modify" players' scenarios. :cool2:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
06-02-2011, 02:11 PM,
Let's chalk this up to an honest mistake and not get too overheated about it.

I received the files and being that the file names didn't change I wouldn't recommend they go anywhere because it would destroy the original scenario. I think it is a form of flattery that Joe wanted to tinker with Earl's work. I have to admit that I considered tweaking it; however, I never had the time. And after some discussion with Earl when I played this, I think he created a great scenario that gets a lot of things right for playability purposes.

To quote Rodney King: Can't we just all get along. :)
06-02-2011, 11:36 PM,
Earl has reconsidered and has graciously consented to keep his custom scenarios available for all members to download and enjoy.

Thanks, Earl! cheers

So, all's well.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
06-02-2011, 11:55 PM,
Thanks Von Earlman!

cheers

Hawk
06-03-2011, 12:41 AM,
It was a "close run thing" in the end? :chin:

Many thanks Earl for continuing to allow access and downloads of your scenarios! cheers
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
06-03-2011, 04:20 AM,
Thanks Earl. :smoke:

You da man! :thumbs_up:

cheers

HSL
06-03-2011, 01:04 PM,
Earl,

A great decision... thanks for all that you have done over the years...

Jim
06-03-2011, 03:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2011, 03:46 PM by John Given.)
A few questions;

Quote:I'll make a sticky to our forum reminding members that scenarios should be considered "copyrighted" by Blitz members.

1. What about scenarios that are stock, or were made by folks no longer on the boards?

In such a situation, if we were to

a. Use different file names, and

b. Make sure to use a version moniker (i.e., A New Threat, ver. 1.1)

...would this be acceptable?

2. Is there any way, perhaps in the 1.05 update, to create / code in 'password protected' files for the Map, OOB, and SCN files in the future? This way, if a designer didn't want anyone messing with his work, he could 'lock' his files, meaning that he would choose a password for each of the design files (MAP, OOB, SCN), so anyone wanting to change his scenario would be forced to start from scratch, at best looking off of the original files, which would be a LOT of extra work, thereby discouraging unauthorized tinkering.

On the other hand, if a designer didn't mind others changing his work, he could simply leave the editor files without a password / unlocked.

Is this possible? Since we already have password protected .bte files, I assume it could be done.

Sound off gents. Big Grin

P.S. Earl, thank you for keeping your scenarios available for the club to enjoy. I know I'll get around to playing them all...eventually.
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu