• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sniper teams worthless?
06-01-2011, 12:28 PM,
RE: Sniper teams worthless?
I guess it would make sense if the regular rifle is fired too,assuming the target is in effective range. Please correct me if i'm wrong,this also means the sniper team will be easily spotted,no?Perhaps i'm thinking to much in CM1 terms,but i was expecting for the sniper to fire a well placed round while remaining as undetected as possible.This doesn't happen in cmbn.There are no stealth bonuses for the sniper teams,as far as i could tell.
The sniper team,as it seems to be modeled right now,are just two regular grunts,one of whom is carrying a rifle with a scope on top.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2011, 05:07 PM,
I should clarify, my test had a platoon of infantry running 1 Kilometer at the sniper team. They netted kills throughout, but had an increase around 300 meters.

Since the accompanying man wields an SMG he shouldn't open up unless the enemy is very close (100M or less).

There is no +2 to stealth type bonus in CM:BN that I know of, most of the advantages of a sniper team lie in its small size (2 men are much harder to spot than 9) and the fact that usually only the rifle should be firing. The slow rate of fire makes it very hard for the enemy to pinpoint your location.
06-01-2011, 06:08 PM,
I didn't meant by 'stealth bonus' an actual +/- 2 bonus like it was implemented back in days of CM1.For all i know,there is not something that you can find in cmbn.
I was just expecting for the sniper team to be harder to spot than a regular 2 men team-a tank hunter team,let's say.After all,when you think at a sniper you think at someone who's more able to stay undetected than the regular grunt.Or,this doesn't seem to happen in cmbn.
Send this user an email
06-02-2011, 07:37 AM,
(06-01-2011, 01:41 AM)enigma6584 Wrote: One other thing before I forget. When one wanted to control even more what sniper teams did in CMSF, the player would split the team down into two parts, the sniper and the support team. That way he was assured of only the sniper shooting.
I do this also in CM:SF but BFC has made the Sniper a two man, one team in CM:BN, thus you cannot split it, Maybe they will change this down the road (Especially when the Eastern Front game comes out, snipers in Stalingrad, ohhh the thought with this engine). In using Snipers in CM:BN I have noticed at longer ranges >400m ?? that only the sniper will engage and the team member will not... once inside 250m it a potential that both fire, giving away their position... Cover and conceilment is of utmost importance with a sniper team.

The designers can control this by making the sniper 50% reduced in force thus leaving one man 'The Sniper' left in the unit.. I am doing this in a second scenario I am designing.

***** Fredrocker's Combat Mission Site *****"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care." - Theodore Roosevelt
Send this user an email