• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Some problem with snapshot...
05-10-2011, 04:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011, 04:38 AM by Ricky B.)
RE: Some problem with snapshot...
(05-10-2011, 03:56 AM)SASHA1956 Wrote:
(05-09-2011, 11:32 PM)Ricky B Wrote: He asked that it be emailed - Glenn will probably see it soon but Rich is not here as often, so please email to [email protected], thanks!

Rick

I have written previously to support of JTS.

Ciao
Sounds great, if you provided the info then. Rahamy is the one who handles those emails, so if he already has your info he must be looking for the others with the problem, find out the common element, I think.

Thx
Rick
(05-10-2011, 12:48 AM)Philippe Wrote: Not having any of the JTSoftware games apart from the Mius demo I'm a bit at sea on this one. Is there a separate command for taking snapshots, or is something just interfering with the print screen function?

My PrintScreen button has always worked pretty well on other games, and, at first blush, developing a whole routine for taking screenshots would seem like a reduplication of a feature that is already inherent in most if not all computers. Or at least, on all Windows XP computers. Why waste time and effort writing a program for something that isn't needed because it already exists?

Could someone enlighten me on exactly what is going on here? Is this another reason not to let them replace my XP machine with a later model? I'm already terrified that the units on the 2D screen will vanish into microdots when I buy a new monitor.
No worries on the function - I believe print screen works also - but JT has had the snapshot function in most or all of his games over the years - can't say why outside of in the early days it could be a bit more challenging to print screen and paste the screenshot, from what I recall, but that is going back a long time.

So there are alternatives, but I think John wants to fix his function, that there are very possibly things the snapshot does that is harder with print screen.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2011, 05:16 AM,
Thanks for clarifying, Rick.

What's the command for the snapshot and/or where is it located?
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
05-10-2011, 05:36 AM,
Go to File in the top menu bar, it is there - it will auto save what is in the map area to a BMP file, which is what I see as the big advantage if that is all you want - no need to cut it down.

I also wrote Rich, for those of us with the "black image" problem, I have a fair idea of what is going on - the snapshot image is shifting further than the map when scrolled from the top left corner of the map, so that the map image shifts off the view to the top left - using Mius I took three shots, one from the top left, one around the center of the map, and one in the bottom right. The top left map view was perfect, the centered view had the map shifted to up and left, thus curring off the top and left parts of the map while putting a black border below and to the right, and the bottom right view had only a very small part of the bottom right portion of the map showing in the top left part of the snapshot.

I hope that helps the issue be found. Thanks guys.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
05-10-2011, 11:58 AM,
Print screen works fine... and while I see the point Philippe is trying to get at - it is redundant. It also has been in a lot of titles for a lot of years, so the programming question that actually comes into play is one of removing programming instead of adding it.

Rick is right, as Snapshot is actually easier if you just want what is on your screen -as you hit the command line, and it asks you what you want to name your bmp file and where you want to save it - without the need to open up another program like MS Paint.

However, since the Snapshot function isn't in all of the games, I got used to doing it all the manual 'Print Screen' button -then "MS Paint" then 'save as' (bmp) mode -so when this first came up, it didn't strike me as an issue until I tried the command.

It should be stated, that this situation is found in patches for titles published by HPS as well (the ones that have come out since Dec 2010) -so it seems tied to the engine changes.

----

Emailed Rich on it, per his request, although haven't gotten around to trying it out on my laptop running XP.
Bydand
Send this user an email
08-20-2011, 03:15 AM,
Did the problem with taking a screenshot ever get figured out?

I can't get a good one on Bulge '44 anymore but Minsk '44 seems okay. I am runing Windows 7 with the latest updates for both the OS and the games.

Tanker Mike
08-20-2011, 11:03 AM,
@ Tanker Mike:

It seems as if the updates made between December 2010 prior to the latest round of PzC updates (of which Kharkov '42) was the first of this new series, is what broke the 'snapshot' functionality.

Bulge '44 was in that prior group of updates, so its, as well as the others updated during that period, would have the broken 'snapshot'.

However, that has been addressed starting with the round of updates that is now occuring. These being updated, are ones that had gone awhile without being updated, and as such their 'snapshot' command was never broken -which is the reason that it is working.

I have tested the Smolensk update, as well as just now - the Kharkov '42 update and both of those (as well as the one they will be releasing shortly, I think), are all working for me.

So I think the actual answer to your question, is that it is getting sorted out. However, as to when it will get fixed in those titles updated earlier in the year is going to be something that Glenn will have to address.
Bydand
Send this user an email