• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A modern war mod
02-08-2011, 09:51 AM,
RE: A modern war mod
(02-05-2011, 04:26 PM)Ironwulf Wrote: Its kinda odd but when i go hiking or walking ill imagine a 40m hex around me (Yes, I am that much of a wargaming geek)...

Funny, I do the same thing too.....

I have a file called hexthingy.exe which lets you superimpose a hex grid on Google earth.

http://members.shaw.ca/da_clark/hexthing...ngy1v1.zip
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2011, 01:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2011, 01:23 PM by Wolfgang.)
I just got that hexthingy the other night. Definitely helps.

i have just a few other components to knock out and then my humble lil mod here will be in a suitable state for download.

Its been a learning experience. The hard part is I actually like to play the game so sometimes there is a struggle between just working on parts of this project and really getting into a good pbem match.

And then its real easy to get bogged down in design choices and experimentation...

I'd like to dig into some scenario design after this.
Send this user an email
02-10-2011, 04:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2011, 04:41 PM by Wolfgang.)
Looks like this mod is nearing completion here in a few days hopefully.
Here's a snapshot of Industrial buildings and hard surfaces.
By the way im still using one of ironx's bitmaps (information counters I use for real play) - keep forgetting to swap it out for the screenshots but figured id let ya know that.

[Image: f6a0284113WulfsModCityHexes.jpg]
Send this user an email
02-11-2011, 01:34 AM,
(02-08-2011, 09:51 AM)cazart! Wrote:
(02-05-2011, 04:26 PM)Ironwulf Wrote: Its kinda odd but when i go hiking or walking ill imagine a 40m hex around me (Yes, I am that much of a wargaming geek)...

Funny, I do the same thing too.....

I have a file called hexthingy.exe which lets you superimpose a hex grid on Google earth.

http://members.shaw.ca/da_clark/hexthing...ngy1v1.zip

I typically think about military situations related to the weather where I live. It was -10 this AM and I try to imagine fighting in that type of cold, much like Winter War. When it's blazing hot in the summer I think about what it would be like to have to fight in that type of climate as well. Vietnam, Middle East, Pacific Islands...
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
02-11-2011, 03:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011, 03:24 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
The book A Rumor of War was about Phil Caputo's experience as a platoon commander very early in the Vietnam war had a similar notion as to what you guys are talking on.

He said after taking the advanced infantry class he began seeing his surroundings not as landscape but as terrain, losing the beauty of his surroundings and trying to find places for cover and concealment, approaches to potential movement and the like...

Great book, one of the best on the VN war, in my opinion.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
02-11-2011, 04:26 AM,
Ironwulf - Have you ever tried rotating the buildings to make them fit on the map better? The buildings all run N-S or E-W. However, because we have hexes, roads run N-S, NW-SE, SW-NE. I have tinkered with that at home, but my attempts are pretty amateurish with a lot of artifacts. However, the look is much more natural.
02-11-2011, 01:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2011, 01:29 AM by Wolfgang.)
First off - sorry to my pbem opponents! I've been focused like a laser on moving this mod forward and haven't sent any turns back... will do this evening.

Here's a update:
[Image: c7b68e06cdWulfsMWMod.jpg]
Send this user an email