• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Overlord
01-17-2011, 03:53 AM,
RE: Overlord
I started playing this against the AI several months ago. Really just playing when I needed something to do between turns from my opponents. Playing as the Allies, figuring the AI defends better than attacks.

Anyway, I'm around turn 16, the score is 3152, 769 Axis SP Losses to 444 Allied SP losses. The most important comment I have to make here is the visibility range throughout the length of the scenario is 18.... from the start of the "night" airborne drops everybody sees EVERYTHING. There is no real confusion or uncertainty during and after the drops.

Consequently the airborne have done way too much ahistoric work. The landings will start in two turns but the Airborne boys have already been calling in deadly accurate naval gunfire on the beach defenders. I fear some beach landings will be confronted by only minor disrupted resistance.

I know how to change visibility ranges in the file but when I started I didn't bother, just wanted to see how this beast played. I will say that for serious H2H play I think visibility needs to be 1-2 hexes for the first 14-15 turns, then gradually increased.

Just my .02
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2011, 05:29 AM,
I have not looked at this yet but has anyone looked at the OOB? How does it compare historically. If it is close I will continue looking at turning this into a campaign........I reckon that might just be the best way to handle the visibility problems etc.

If there is any interest I will pursue it further. A few adjustments to the map and OOB would probably be enough to get started. It will take a while tho before I can finalise it.

VE[/align]
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
01-17-2011, 06:55 AM,
This enormous scenario is a good example of the need for designer controlled day/night and visibility.
01-19-2011, 01:50 AM,
Once again, thanks for your responses. Pz.Korp, you brought up an important point about the night visibility thing which I forgot about inmy original post. This initially gives the Allies a huge advantage as the Paras arent scattered and dispersed like in the real battle.
I discussed with my opponent about calling a cease-fire in our battle and he agreed so I'm feeling kindof relieved at the moment.
01-19-2011, 04:39 AM,
A quick edit to this scenario would be changing the type to use the Night to day setting.

Which will have the scenario start at night and then change to daytime with a random die roll after turn 6.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
01-20-2011, 07:23 AM,
Why not make it more into game's scale and have a 50 turn (five hour) battle, while making some adjustments to victory conditions? :smoke:
Then you do not have to crack the files to change from day to night and night to day? :chin:

cheers

HSL
01-20-2011, 08:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2011, 08:04 AM by Jason Petho.)
(01-20-2011, 07:23 AM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: Why not make it more into game's scale and have a 50 turn (five hour) battle, while making some adjustments to victory conditions? :smoke:
Then you do not have to crack the files to change from day to night and night to day? :chin:

cheers

HSL

Good idea, if you aren't interested in keeping track of losses or strategies throughout the entire battle. A mistake in the second hour could affect the outcome of the later battle.

If there was an easy way to convert a BTE file to a SCN file (without opening the file in a text editor), there are many options available for those that like to "campaign".

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
01-20-2011, 08:20 PM,
(01-20-2011, 08:03 AM)Jason Petho Wrote: Good idea, if you aren't interested in keeping track of losses or strategies throughout the entire battle. A mistake in the second hour could affect the outcome of the later battle.

What does losses or strategies have to do in either a tactical game of 50 turns or 1200?
The game scale is not one to model strategic effort. There is OpC and TOAW for Grand Tactics or Strategy. CS is tactical. A day and a half of continuous combat just does not fit, IMO.
My issue is not in the size of the map or the amount of units on it. Mine is one of turn length and the manufacturing of artificial means to model "real time".
There would be nothing wrong if a designer tries to model an entire battle that fits onto a scenario map. One to eight hours of D-Day would still be intense? The victory conditions would be the key.

If I want to see losses I would click on the "strength" button in the drop down menu? :smoke:

(01-20-2011, 08:03 AM)Jason Petho Wrote: If there was an easy way to convert a BTE file to a SCN file (without opening the file in a text editor), there are many options available for those that like to "campaign".

I have no problem with those who want to "campaign" in CS or designers who want to run those campaigns. That is a separate issue from that dealing with a true scenario designed within the scale of the game?

(01-13-2011, 02:37 AM)falco Wrote: Anybody here ever played the Overlord scenario? <snip> I'm currently about 30 turns into this huge 1200 turn game and already my opponent has accumulated enough points for a major victory as Allies.

If the scenario is played as a scenario? :chin:
Jason, that was what my comment considered. What others want to do outside of game scale is up to them?

And, I did not even mention the horrible Variable Visibility option? ;)Whip

cheers

HSL
01-20-2011, 11:01 PM,
(01-20-2011, 07:23 AM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: Why not make it more into game's scale and have a 50 turn (five hour) battle, while making some adjustments to victory conditions? :smoke:

cheers

HSL

I don't think a five hour battle could cover this scenario. It is huge and five hours would maybe cover the airborne drop. I do agree with you tho Ed.......encouraging players to crack the file is something the Blitz should not really be supporting......again just my 2 pennies worth here.

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
01-21-2011, 02:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-21-2011, 02:21 AM by Jason Petho.)
(01-20-2011, 08:20 PM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: What does losses or strategies have to do in either a tactical game of 50 turns or 1200?

I was specifically referring to the suggestion of breaking a large scenario down into a series of scenarios.

When playing the smaller scenarios, a player is limited to the scope of the scenario based on the designers notion of the battle. When starting the second scenario of the series, it may have little to do with how the first battle in the series ended. There are no consequences for your actions in the first scenario when continuing on in the series, unless you're playing a von Earlmann style campaign or a Linked Campaign. Linked Campaigns aren't useful for PBEM, unfortunately.

On the other hand, playing a larger scenario (possibly covering the entire day with 155 -160 turns of daylight typically in France in June - add 6-10 turns if you use the night-day switch at the start of the scenario - no need to manually edit the file) that covers the majority of the battlefield and actions of the day offers the players involved flexibility in how they play and the consequences of those decisions throughout the scenario.

There are a number of scenarios that cover portions of D-Day by themselves. From the para landings and fighting to the mess at Omaha and so on. Alone, they are great scenarios that depict a particular action.

A well designed, larger scenario allows you to play all of those scenarios at once, in one game and see how they interact with each other.

Yes, 1200 turns is out of the scope of the game design, for now.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email