• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Modern War - Start Scenario hardest ever?
12-31-2010, 08:29 AM,
RE: Modern War - Start Scenario hardest ever?
(12-30-2010, 10:28 PM)spelk Wrote: I've started an AAR on this tutorial scenario, first couple of turns are up. I'm presenting it more or less move by move, so any Vets please chip in with comments and thoughts as it progresses. I'm definitely a novice at SB so be gentle. :)

Squad Battles: Modern War - The First Battle AAR - Part 1
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=1129

Hi Spelk,

I hope I didn't steal your thunder by also posting an AAR on that scenario. You are using sound tactics for your approach so far (which is something I decided to foresake somewhat in the interest of helping people through the real crux of the scenario). You might consider the advice I provided in regards to taking the first Objective hex; but other than that I think your AAR will be the more useful in the long run since you used better tactics from the getgo, whereas I sort of cheated through the first three turns. I'll be interested to see how you do.

Good luck!
Rabbit
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2010, 08:52 AM,
@Rabbit, no worries on the stealing thunder issue, its really good to be able to see someone execute manoeuvres to win the scenario, and your AAR should probably be tacked onto the Getting Started manual.

I'll still continue to dribble out my AAR, when I have the time, so I can use it as an example of how NOT to tackle the scenario :)
Send this user an email
12-31-2010, 09:10 PM,
Next part up
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=1133
Send this user an email
01-01-2011, 07:41 AM,
(12-31-2010, 09:10 PM)spelk Wrote: Next part up
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=1133

FWIW, and someone correct me if I am wrong, I think the best tank round to shoot at the bunker is at the vehicle only type round, not the HE one that you seem to be shooting at it. Actually I think the scenario begins with the HE round selected by default. I think with bunkers you are looking for a round with the best penetration instead of the round with the highest lethality, but I a could be wrong about that. :eek1:
Send this user an email
01-01-2011, 10:16 AM,
(01-01-2011, 07:41 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: FWIW, and someone correct me if I am wrong, I think the best tank round to shoot at the bunker is at the vehicle only type round, not the HE one that you seem to be shooting at it. Actually I think the scenario begins with the HE round selected by default. I think with bunkers you are looking for a round with the best penetration instead of the round with the highest lethality, but I a could be wrong about that. :eek1:

I do believe you are correct, but I played around with this a bit on this scenario with varying degrees of success regardless of the round you use.

I could be that I simply suck as well!
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
01-01-2011, 10:10 PM,
Part 3 up, Happy New Year folks!
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=1184
Send this user an email
01-02-2011, 06:23 AM,
This has been a pretty good discussion. Enjoyed it. When was the last time that a scenario dragged in so much talk - plus a couple of AARs to boot.

Might be hard but by the look of it the scenario has got the juices flowing.
01-02-2011, 10:09 AM,
Feel free to try a different scenario as well if the Getting Started one is giving you a hard time. 007.Nasiryah and 003.Tigris are both big, fun scenarios with a lot of toys (Tigris has fun toys for the Iraqis as well) that are more forgiving than the first scenario.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

01-02-2011, 12:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2011, 12:02 PM by BluntF.)
You know what other one is hard is that darned KAMDESH scenario. Holy crap!
Send this user an email
01-02-2011, 03:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2011, 03:46 PM by cazart!.)
(01-01-2011, 07:41 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: FWIW, and someone correct me if I am wrong, I think the best tank round to shoot at the bunker is at the vehicle only type round, not the HE one that you seem to be shooting at it.

Just to confirm Ed is correct.