• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Budapest patch released
12-09-2010, 06:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2010, 06:33 AM by Philippe.)
RE: Budapest patch released
(12-09-2010, 04:46 AM)Gasbag Wrote:
(12-09-2010, 03:59 AM)Glenn Saunders Wrote:
Quote:I just tried this but it didn't work.:( I also noticed that the .pdf Help file created & installed to a new HPS folder instead of installing to the default Program Files destination...

P.S. The game was installed (I've temporarily removed it til I get this sorted out) on my old XP home (SP3) computer.

Sound to me like you have ID'ed the issue - the Game is installed in one place and the patch another - they need to be the same.

Originally the HPS Games were installed in

C:\Program files\HPS ect ect

But with VISTA came MS issues regarding security - specially security in that folder. So now the games are installed in C:\HPS ect ect NOT \Program Files.

If you fix it up but putting the patch over the Game, whereever you have it - you should be OK - but avoid installing games in \Programs Files if the PC is new and has Vista or Windows7

Glenn

The machine that I'm running it on has XP Home (with SP3). The 1.02 exe file goes to to the default C:\Program Files\... destination (at least I think that it does) when you open it. It's the .pdf Help file that goes to the new C:\HPS... location when it's opened.

How do you do a manual install? I've been patching these games by double left clicking on the installers.

I too am running Windows XP (SP3), so anything I describe in here should eventually make sense to you.

There are two things you should try, one very easy, one slightly more involved. Either one will empower you.

According to Rich over at the Wargamer, a new version of the patch has been posted on the HPS website. I don't know how it differs from the early one (and suspect it does not), but just in case it does, down load it anyway.

You're downloading two extractor files. Put them somewhere safe and memorable and in their own folder. Give it an amusing name.

First Method (the easy way because it isn't a manual install):

Click on one of the files. You'll basically get a pop-up prompting you to do something. Choose run. Now you'll get an extractor menu.

This is the important part.

Regardless of whether you pick the game patch or the pdf patch, you'll get another pop-up with a little window with the text 'unzip to folder' written into it.

Next to that is a Browse button.

Hit the Browse button and navigate in the little window to wherever you actually keep the game installed (e.g. C:\Program Files\HPS Simulations\Budapest '45).

Now click on the 'unzip' button.

The patch has been pointed to will go to the right place and should work. Use the same procedure for the PDF files.

Second Method (manual stick shift and clutch):

Download files as before to safe place with a funny name (I could make a few suggestions but my gastro-enterologist tells me that animus isn't good for my heartburn).

Inside the safe folder with the distinctive name, make a second folder with an even funnier and more distinctive name. The names need to be very different and easy to remember in case you get lost or forgetful while navigating (happens to me all the time).

As before, run the files that Windows can't recognize the provenance of. Do it one at a time. This time, however, when you get to the extractor browse menu, click on it and look for the hilariously named folder that you created in the previous step. Dump the patch in there.

Then do the same with the pdf extractor.

You now have a hilariously named folder with the entire contents of the unzipped patch in it. Modders do this all the time so they can see exactly what the patch is changing, by the way.

To do the manual install, simply go inside the hilariously named folder, then click on 'edit' at the top of your screen (second item from the left), and scroll down to the next-to-the-last item named 'select all'. If you click on 'select all' everything in the folder will be highlighted. Then right-click with your mouse in the middle of the screen, select copy from the menu, and minimize the file. When you right-click and copy, be careful and make sure that your mouse is over an empty space and not a file.

Now go to where you have Budapest '45 installed and actually open the folder and go inside. Right click again on an empy space and you'll get another menu. Click on paste. Make sure your mouse is positioned over an empty space and not a file or, especially, a folder.

Things will get scrambled around a bit and you'll get prompted about overwriting things (say 'yes to all'), but you will have just done your first manual install of a patch.

I know you don't really need all of this spelled out for you, but people who play wargames tend to be longer in the tooth than fourteen-year-olds and are often unfamiliar with how to do things like this. So I've spelled it all out in case it clarifies something for someone who was too afraid of being mocked in public to ask.
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2010, 06:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2010, 06:29 AM by enigma6584.)
I get the same problem and I did install it manually in my proper folder on my D drive. The game will not run now.

Downloaded the second patch. That worked and now the game runs fine. Thank you.
12-09-2010, 06:37 AM,
Maybe I had this wrong, but being a long time Volcano Man mod user, it is common knowledge that if you use his mods, then you need to apply his files over the top of anything else -if you want those images on his mod to be showing up. (Or of course pick and choose at will).

VM's own readme file states that quite clearly.

However I'm reliably assured that anything used by the developers in their official patches *are* actually sourced from the public domain or original work.
Bydand
Send this user an email
12-09-2010, 06:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2010, 07:04 AM by Philippe.)
The instructions for installing my mods state that clearly as well. I'd be very surprised if anyone in here didn't know how to use a Volcano Man mod. This was a bit more like a stealth miniature graphics update and took me by surprise. I'm calling it to people's attention so they don't get taken by surprise and find out about it six months later.

As for the original work thing, that's precisely the problem. The figure in that update looks like it was drawn by someone whose only professional art training was auditing a course at a mid-Western community college. A symbol would have looked a lot better and would have been much easier to draw. For the sake of full disclosure, my significant other, a professional artist trained at one of the oldest art schools in the country, just happens to teach drawing at a local community college. I've seen her student's work and they draw a lot better than that.
12-09-2010, 07:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2010, 07:06 AM by Gasbag.)
(12-09-2010, 06:44 AM)Philippe Wrote: The instructions for installing my mods state that clearly as well. I'd be very surprised if anyone in here didn't know how to use a Volcano Man mod. This was a bit more like a stealth miniature graphics update and took me by surprise. I'm calling it to people's attention so they don't get taken by surprise and find out about it six months later.

As for the original work thing, that's precisely the problem. The figure in that update looks like it was drawn by someone whose only professional art training was auditing a course at a mid-Western community college. A symbol would have looked a lot better and would have been much easier to draw.

Before this develops into a verbal fistfight I want to nip it in the bud. Thanks Philippe (and others) for your help. I downloaded the patches again (with Firefox) about an hour or so ago & browsed to my B45 install. Applied the new updates and the game starts & runs fine now. I believe that I got a bad download yesterday (:curse: AOL) and that's what was causing the problem.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
12-09-2010, 07:05 AM,
Happiest day of my life was when I tore AOL out of my computer ten years ago.
12-09-2010, 07:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2010, 07:19 AM by Gasbag.)
(12-09-2010, 07:05 AM)Philippe Wrote: Happiest day of my life was when I tore AOL out of my computer ten years ago.

I've only kept it this long because of the price: 20 bucks a month for unlimited time. For Christmas I'm looking at giving myself an HDTV. I'll need a HD digital cable box so I'll be calling my cable company to order one & I'll see how much the internet bundles are. If they're within my budget it'll be :censored: off AOL!!!
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
12-09-2010, 07:40 AM,
(12-09-2010, 07:13 AM)Gasbag Wrote: For Christmas I'm looking at giving myself an HDTV. I'll need a HD digital cable box so ....

You going to love HDTV, and make sure you get a Box with a Digtal Video recorder - you need never miss another show!
Send this user an email
12-09-2010, 07:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2010, 07:55 AM by -72-.)
No kidding you include those instructions in mods that you post- which was why it was very curious that you'd bother to have complained about something which you knew about.

I mean, seriously, fair is fair - and taking a shot at a company for "overlaying any mod" in an official patch... it goes with the territory -and you knew that.

And as for the aesthetics - well, isn't that why you mod yourself?
Bydand
Send this user an email
12-09-2010, 08:23 AM,
Steve, just send me an e-mail. Our differences don't need to be aired on this forum.