• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Gary Grigsby's War in the East
12-15-2010, 07:45 AM,
RE: Gary Grigsby's War in the East
Thanks for the review, very informative.:)
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2010, 08:24 AM,
Yes, thank you...I found it informative as well. I am definately close to getting this one myself. Will have to wait though for my new rig.
12-15-2010, 08:28 AM,
Also waiting on new rig and first update.
12-15-2010, 09:11 AM,
DaveK,

A great summary and mirrors my experience also. I have been playing the game from both sides and it is a fantastic challenge anyway you look at it.

I was a little surprised how few scenarios there were, but in fairness they aren't trivial. Some of the short scenarios such as Minsk are great. I expect there will be community additions if not officially supported updates.

For someone who has spent the last 18 months creating Kharkov '43 its been nice to just sit down and play a game rather than worry about game balance, historicity and deadlines! Big Grin

David
12-16-2010, 12:01 AM,
I have been afraid to just jump in-Im reading the manual now and am about 1/2 way thru it. I did do the tutorial and that seemed fine. One word-you need at least 2gigs of ram to run this and dont even think about any processor below 1.4 with those 2 gigs of ram...
Graphics are amazing. It looks like a legit board game, like your screen is the table and you have counters and the map resting on your screen. I like that a lot. I have played around with it some...
Moving units is easy but one thing that is not amusing, is that you cannot rotate units to the top of stacks. You are stuck with the one on top no matter what. When you move a single unit on top of a stack, you will auto select the two you just moved on top of (only 3 units in a stack) and unless you want to move the other 2, you have to deselect them. So one has to be wary of moving more that one unit if you dont mean to.
I love the support unit system. You can farm out your bn's and brigades to corps and during battles, the AI will parcel them out to whatever divisions are attacking or being attacked. You can set divisional support level priorities for your combat units-set them high if you want your corps to give certain units help, set it low if you want no support for that unit. Stuff like flame tanks (my cheesey favs, 88s, pios, stug bns, whatever...all that good stuff can be grouped at corps and parceled out through the divisions by the AI, during your entire turn or during your opponents turn when he attacks you. You have good leaders, your leader checks will give you that support, hell you can get each time you are attacked. You have bad leaders and they fail their checks, your support is not coming....You can also fine tune that support and just attach them directly to your divisions. Each Div can take a max of 3 support units. Then those are auto included in whatever you do and will not aid any of the other divs in the chain. You be assured of getting them when you fight. I like the way the support works
12-16-2010, 12:10 AM,
(12-16-2010, 12:01 AM)raizer Wrote: I have been afraid to just jump in-Im reading the manual now and am about 1/2 way thru it. I did do the tutorial and that seemed fine. One word-you need at least 2gigs of ram to run this and dont even think about any processor below 1.4 with those 2 gigs of ram...

The specs have me worried. I have an older computer. I have 2 gigs of RAM but my video card is the minimum. I REALLY want this game but it's pretty pricy to take a flyer on. I'm not one who has to have a Demo but I sure would like one in this case!
12-16-2010, 12:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2010, 12:32 AM by raizer.)
vid card is not that important. Its just like hps games-only counters and a map. There is no 3d graphics, no fights scenes, no real animation. Just an awesome map and counters that look like paper-vid is no issue. Its memory, you need 2 IMHO and processor-over 1.5.
12-16-2010, 01:57 AM,
(12-16-2010, 12:31 AM)raizer Wrote: vid card is not that important. Its just like hps games-only counters and a map. There is no 3d graphics, no fights scenes, no real animation. Just an awesome map and counters that look like paper-vid is no issue. Its memory, you need 2 IMHO and processor-over 1.5.

I'm pretty sure my processor is well over 1.5.
All heck i'm gonna get it, if it doesn't work I'll give it to someone. After all it's the season of giving!:)
12-16-2010, 03:49 AM,
Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop screen, then left click properties at the bottom of the popout. It will open a little window with your processor and ram numbers.
12-16-2010, 05:08 AM,
Thanks will do it when I get home from work!