• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

John Tiller Software is born--Digital Download
12-08-2010, 03:46 AM,
RE: John Tiller Software is born--Digital Download
(12-06-2010, 02:15 PM)Dog Soldier Wrote: No, I do not think that is so. Only like there are two cars now and you can drive them both at the same time. We can challenge the wife to sit down to have play a game against each other, one on each of the two PC's you both own in the house.

Like that will ever happen. But it could now with two activations allowed per purchase. Where else do you get a two for one deal like this?

In pretty much any game you can buy with a disc, or a variety of DD games I've seen, and a few I've used. The ability to have one game on more than one computer isn't exactly a novel concept, and it surprised me that this was the initial way JT opted to roll this out. To his credit, he realized quickly the waves it was creating and adjusted on the fly. Kudos to him and his team for a very sound decision.

The PzC game doesn't impact me, I only play SB, but future releases from the SB realm will have the same DRM technology. As long as the 2 computer per game continues I think that most folks will be happy. I've seen some fairly irrational postings over the past few days, ones that just make me shake my head. You'll never please everyone with a major change like this, but I think that there is a very small segment of the community that has some strange fear of the the DRM. I've been burned before by it, namely a whole lot of music I bought from Sony Connect that I still need to burn onto a disc and re-import to lose the DRM, but some folks really have gone off the deep end.

For me, his change to distributing DD on his own was a smart business decision. He no longer has to share the profits with anyone, he completely eliminates the cost of production and purchsase of the discs, artwork, jewel cases and the like. All he's got now is server space somewhere, which probably isn't free, but he's eliminated pretty much all of his cost for having to maintain an inventory and pay for shipping. Sound business model to improve the profit margin.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2010, 04:17 AM,
Add to that that all entrepreneurs, at least the many I have known, like to have as much control as possible over their ventures, which are dear to them as children. Natural IMHO, considering the effort it takes to birth and raise an new venture. Protecting the nest is a top priority.

As for your experience with Sony....
Consumers buy Sony because their hardware is generally first rate. Their reputation for after sale support of any product they pedal is abysmal.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-08-2010, 08:14 AM,
Quote:Ok what will happen to modding? The base games of the current mods are not protected so we're fine. But what if someone wants to mod newer game? Will copying the whole game folder and playing with the files still work?
Based on what is written in the OpsCampaign section, you can make a copy of the folder and do all the modding there.

If you have to uninstall so you can use it on a 3rd computer (since you get 2 - one for a laptop and one for your main) it will uninstall the vanilla install and leave your mod folder alone.
12-08-2010, 11:35 AM,
(12-08-2010, 08:14 AM)cazart! Wrote: Based on what is written in the OpsCampaign section, you can make a copy of the folder and do all the modding there.

If you have to uninstall so you can use it on a 3rd computer (since you get 2 - one for a laptop and one for your main) it will uninstall the vanilla install and leave your mod folder alone.

The mod will count as 2nd activation?
Send this user an email
12-09-2010, 03:04 AM,
No. Games are 'activated' on your computer. You can have several mod copies on your computer.

When you uninstall the main program, your mods are unaffected - other than they won't play.

When you need to activate this computer (after uninstalling on computer #3) you can install again on the original computer. Your mod folder games will all work again.
12-09-2010, 04:49 AM,
Nobody is talking about this? Next up a new SB.

Before this endeavor started last Friday, we had no idea what to expect. I had established a sales goal for the end of the month that I felt would represent undisputable success. I am delighted to report that because of your enthusiastic response, our first month sales goal was achieved Tuesday.

Our second game, a Squad Battles game, is finished and ready for release in the near future. And we have a very aggressive publishing schedule established for the first half of 2011 to populate the store with a variety of games from many different areas.

Thank you for ensuring that my team and I will be able to continue our efforts well into the future.

John Tiller
08 Dec 2010
12-09-2010, 05:14 AM,
I just saw JT's post this morning. Usually he's been pretty tight-lipped about impending releases. Looks like going out on his own has changed a few things!
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-09-2010, 06:07 AM,
(12-09-2010, 04:49 AM)junk2drive Wrote: Nobody is talking about this? Next up a new SB.

Yes, and I'm partially to blame for it. :conf:

I'll give a Rahamy style hint. It has got guns.
12-09-2010, 08:29 AM,
I'm pumped!
12-09-2010, 10:49 AM,
Junk2drive,

...are the guns used in a war perhaps? (just trying to narrow things down).