• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

John Tiller Software is born--Digital Download
12-04-2010, 03:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 04:59 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
John Tiller Software is born--Digital Download
Gents,

It was announced today that John Tiller Software would now be distributing all of JT's new games going forward, and that HPS would still be supporting all of the previous titles published there.

A new Pazner Campaigns game was also released today.

With this new change came the emergence of something many of us have been hoping for: digital downloads of all of the new titles. This comes, however, with a price. You will only be able to download and use one version of each game, meaning if you play with a desktop and laptop, you will have to buy the game twice, if I'm understanding everything correctly.

Discuss.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2010, 04:52 AM,
RE: John Tiller Software is born--Digital Download
Instead of buying two copies, I will be buying none.. I do use a desktop and a laptop..
12-04-2010, 05:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 05:20 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
Let me frame things in a slightly different way, since it seems that on other boards the natives are getting restless about this situation.

How many folks who play SB or anything that might come from JTS only have and use one computer to play their games?

I have two somewhat dated computers, a desktop and laptop. I tend to use my laptop more when I do a lot of playtesting because I can do it at work on my lunch-hour. I use my desktop infrequently, but I'd still prefer to have copies on both so I have the flexibility to do what I need to do.

I'm not looking to start a 'I can't believe he's doing this' type of thread, but one that will give Tiller and his company some information to use to potentially make some decisions going forward. If it turns out that 95% of the people only use one computer, and it won't matter, and that's good to know as well....
12-04-2010, 05:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 05:34 AM by Compass Rose.)
As a huge supporter and current owner of 42 HPS Simulations games, with four more currently in the mail, my first response was "You have got to be kidding me!"

First, I am disappointed in JT getting away from HPS. From my view point, it was a very successful marriage, and the "big guns" that HPS and John have working for them (Rich, Glen, Oz,) are excellent to deal with. I have a lot of respect for Rich, as he is the sole reason why I own so many HPS games. About 1.5 years ago, he took the time to help introduce me to a thing called PBEM! :rolleyes:

Secondly, I am not a fan of Digital Downloads. I am a strong believer of buying hard copies of games however, I can easily see that if I didn't live in the US, DD would be a very popular option. It would allow someone to get a game right now, instead of having to wait for it to arrive in the mail plus paying for all of the extra shipping, duties, etc.

Third, I am very disappointed to see that future game owners will be forced to purchase the DD version at a cost of $39.99 . I had a hard enough time begging my wife, and pretty much selling my soul to the devil, to be able purchase "older" HPS games at reasonable price of $29.99. There is no way my wife is ever going to go for the idea of buying games that sell for $39.99! Also with the way the economy is, $39.99 seems pretty steep.

BTW, where is the JT Software Introductory Price? HPS offered it!

Fourth, I have no problem with the serial number idea. If it helps control illegal coping, I'm all for it.

Fifth, I am very disappointed in the "only one computer at a time idea". I constantly hop between my notebook and my desktop, while at home. The idea of being forced to uninstall a game, reload it, re-apply the game patch, and then reload all of the 3rd party art mods and scenarios, every time I need to switch computers, is not an acceptable or realistic option for me. In-addition to this, there is no way I'd even think about buying two copies of the same game!!

A much better solution to this "idea" would have been to have an option for game owners to be able to un-license the game, thus allowing them to be able to leave the game loaded on that computer's hard drive.

A an example of this is Out of the Park Developments, (the company that designs Out of The Park, a baseball game text simulation series). They were the 1st and only game company where I experienced anything like this before. At least they allow game owners to have the game loaded on two computers, at the same time. If you want it loaded on third computer, you had to un-license the game from one of the currently loaded computers, not un-install the whole entire game, and all of the 3rd party mods and logos.

To sum up everything, I am happy for fans of the PzC series as they have a new game however, that is where my happiness ends. I do not agree with the new games only being released in DD form, and I do not like the new playing restrictions and headaches associated with the newly released game and future games with the "one computer only" restriction.

At this point, I do not plan on buying any new JT games until more reasonable options are available.
12-04-2010, 05:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 05:20 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
(12-04-2010, 05:15 AM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote: A an example of this is Out of the Park Developments, (the company that designs Out of The Park, a baseball game text simulation series) does this. They were the 1st and only game company where I experienced anything like this before. At least they allow game owners to have the game loaded on two computers, at the same time. If you want it loaded on third computer, you had to un-license the game from one of the currently loaded computers, not un-install the whole entire game, and all of the 3rd party mods and logos

Good to see that there's someone else out there who plays OOTP. I gave up on them a while back mainly because I got tired of a new version coming out every year.....

But their way of handling the DD license was superb, unless you decommission a computer before un-licensing it! I screwed myself on that one!
12-04-2010, 07:02 AM,
Notwithstanding the copy protection, I bought the product to support the production of more HPS style games by Mr. Tiller. Obviously the DD will increase the bottom line revenues and allow the development of more titles.

I would, though, rather see a matrix games style license rather than the current DRM plan being offered. I do only play on a desktop, but I have kicked aroud buying a laptop for when travelling. Guess that is not happening anytime soon:)

Based on 'fan' input, I would not be surprised if JT games quickly goes to a two CPU activation.
12-04-2010, 07:28 AM,
(12-04-2010, 07:02 AM)tallin Wrote: Based on 'fan' input, I would not be surprised if JT games quickly goes to a two CPU activation.

I mean no disrespect to the development team, seeing that I playtest for SB and know many of them, but it took them a long time to go to the DD. I don't see them making an adjustment on the system that quickly based on some folks griping on the forums. If it cuts into the bottom line, then perhaps.

I guess I'm a touch disappointed that some type of discourse or focus group wasn't done about the impact of only being able to have one active game working, given that I'm sure a fair number of gamers have two computers. I'd have told him that the single use license was a bad idea and explained, as a two computer user, specifically why. At some point they may have determined that the loss of some folks could be off-set by the increased revenue by doing the games themselves rather than going through another publisher. Either that or they figured that the hard core guys were going to buy the games regardless.

The other thing about OOTP that would be an interesting twist for a future DD thing with JTS would be to be able to download a demo that could be converted over to a functioning game by simply paying for it. It would give buyers a chance to sample a game/series to see if they really liked it. The new Panzer Battles series that's on his site seems interesting, but I don't think I'd pay $40 to try something I may or may not like when it comes out.
12-04-2010, 07:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 07:54 AM by tallin.)
"I don't see them making an adjustment on the system that quickly based on some folks griping on the forums. If it cuts into the bottom line, then perhaps."

I made my comments, on the two CPU activation, based on Rich Hamiltons response to your Game Squad blog comment. Seems like they are open to that possibility.
"I don't see them making an adjustment on the system that quickly based on some folks griping on the forums. If it cuts into the bottom line, then perhaps."

I made my comments, on the two CPU activation, based on Rich Hamiltons response to your Game Squad blog comment. Seems like they are open to that possibility.
12-04-2010, 09:21 AM,
I personally prefer physical media over DD. To me, the main point in DD's favor is the immediacy of being able to get the game right away; however I find the anticipation of waiting for it to get shipped somehow heightens the experience in some strange way, so I'd still rather get the physical media. I might prefer DD if it was at least $5 cheaper, but I'm definitely in the "I want to be able to have it installed legally on two computers" camp. As an SB addict, I'll still keep buying regardless. Just my $0.02 (or $5.02 for a hardcopy plus S&H).
12-04-2010, 09:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 09:55 AM by cazart!.)
I do play on 2 (sometimes 3) computers myself. (I also personally prefer a physical copy myself. I also haven't bought a Kindle yet either...)

The good news (I think) is that JTS has 1 honcho - John himself no longer does a consensus have to be reached.. It may allow him to be tactically more flexible as far as pricing, DD, DRM, etc etc. Then again, we are less than 24 hours into a new venture. I'll be drinking the Kool-Aid later tonight!;)