• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

John Tiller Software is born--Digital Download
12-04-2010, 09:54 AM,
RE: John Tiller Software is born--Digital Download
I dont mind DD though I know where Rabbit coming from in that postal anticipation joy
However personally considering we are just a niche market if isnt going to be like a matrix licence then I can certainly can see it stunting the gaming community as it will turn some gamers off the product
244 games with legend that is Richie61
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2010, 01:49 PM,
I thought I would save some time and re-post in this forum what i just posted in the HPS OPC forum.

:soap:

Strange about the need to have the game installed in several PC's. If one needs portability, just install it on a laptop. Take the laptop to the office and play the game on your lunch hour. Mail the turn during lunch, if you finish it, mail it off right from the local restaurant you frequent on other lunch hours. I am sure they would let you if you are a "regular" customer. I have done this before.

Business trip? Well that one has to be a little more tricky, since many employer's IT departments take a dim view to mixing one's personal software with the corporate image on the company equipment. However, I do think that the remote desktop option works in this case. It might be wise to couple that strategy with a simple VPN program so you can use the hotel network without compromising the machine at home.

Not technical enough to pull it off on your own? Well there is a whole community here at the blitz. Really guys? Want some cheese with your whine? For all the creative talent I have seen over the years in blitz members overcoming tough situations on the digital battlefield, creating interesting and challenging mods, art work, etc. some of you are cowering the corner crying about a little limitation like the new delivery by JTS? I thought members here at the blitz relished a good challenge. Give back some small measure to those who have given us a whole hell of a lot more over the last ten years.

With the combined creativity and skills of this community, someone will do it with their home machine / road warrior machine and they will be able to have bragging rights (sticky thread) and 100 ladder points from me for posting a detailed thread here at the blitz HPS OPC forum on "How To...". Points will be awarded when the post is clear and concise enough that even I and Foul can make it work. Big GrinBig Grin
That means you have to write the "How To" at least as good as the many that Foul has done here to help the community with the transition to the new blitz, PBEM gaming etc. I will even bet Foul would be willing to test out the instructions before you post them here for all to see. Glenn probably would to.

I suppose some who have posted in this thread will think I am being harsh. Well, I find it a little ridiculous to complain to the car company that there was a snow storm last night and it is up to the car company to get me to work cause I just moved here and never drove their product on snowy roads.

Or I can just man up and learn how to make the best of it, cause it will be worth while to learn. The digital world is changing and in a great amount of flux right now. We can complain or we can innovate for ourselves while not waiting around for the "game company" to solve it by giving up a small measure of protection for their hard work.

Each can make their choice and be judged by your peers, right here, right now.

I look forward to seeing those posts in the coming weeks as many hidden, talented members of the blitz step forward to give back to the community they are a proud member of. Step forward and be recognized.

(Leaves the gauntlet on the floor where he threw it down.) Sgt

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-05-2010, 05:33 AM,
Like I said in the HPS OPC forum: I'm sorry to see the games going to DD only. I can understand the reason(s) behind this decision but with my slow internet connection it'll prevent me from buying any new JTS titles...
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
12-05-2010, 06:03 PM,
Since the change was made by JTS to allow two PC install the issue is moot, IMHO. I was trying to address the road warrior issue. That is as Glenn said, solved.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
12-06-2010, 02:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2010, 03:10 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
I will gladly admit that I was completely and utterly incorrect that JTS wouldn't shift on the fly like this. I think we're seeing the dawning of a new day in the Tiller world, and it's great to see. The DD concept should be good not only for consumers ex-US, but for the company in general. No longer need to have a costly physical inventory, which should improve the bottom line will hopefully allow him to make improvements throughout his platforms.

That said, I am happy to be wrong on this one.

(12-04-2010, 01:49 PM)Dog Soldier Wrote: I suppose some who have posted in this thread will think I am being harsh. Well, I find it a little ridiculous to complain to the car company that there was a snow storm last night and it is up to the car company to get me to work cause I just moved here and never drove their product on snowy roads.

It was more as if you bought a car and found out, after you got it home, that only you could drive it. Fine if you're single, but if you've got a family, not such a good situation.

I read this after posting. It's an interesting 'shot' thrown out by HPS announcing that Tiller won't be publishing games with them...

Quote:HPS has several new games scheduled for release in the next few months, including titles from Jim, Paul, Jeff and Scott.

All of our games will continue to be available on physical disk (both through direct purchase and through distributors); gradually we will make existing games available by Digital Download too. The DD process is already set up – it is straightforward, easy, and devoid of registration hassles.

The HPS “No Nonsense” end user license agreement (EULA), also remains unchanged – whether the game is purchased by digital download or disk. Customers can install the software on all computers they own, and install the software on an “opponent’s” computer for the purposes of playing the game – as long as the program is removed from the non-owner's computer once the game is finished.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-06-2010, 04:05 AM,
DD is definitely the way to go.

I must say though the one (now two?) computer install was an issue with me who plays on the laptop and desktop.

I can also see myself forgetting to uninstall the game when changing/upgrading my computer. I've done this quite a few times with Itunes - luckily they have five (?) I think registrations as at least two or three of them have been used up with old computers.
12-06-2010, 02:15 PM,
(12-06-2010, 02:50 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:
(12-04-2010, 01:49 PM)Dog Soldier Wrote: I suppose some who have posted in this thread will think I am being harsh. Well, I find it a little ridiculous to complain to the car company that there was a snow storm last night and it is up to the car company to get me to work cause I just moved here and never drove their product on snowy roads.

It was more as if you bought a car and found out, after you got it home, that only you could drive it. Fine if you're single, but if you've got a family, not such a good situation.

No, I do not think that is so. Only like there are two cars now and you can drive them both at the same time. We can challenge the wife to sit down to have play a game against each other, one on each of the two PC's you both own in the house.

Like that will ever happen. But it could now with two activations allowed per purchase. Where else do you get a two for one deal like this?

All I was trying to point out was that the digital world is changing rapidly. JTS like any other company has to change and adapt. Just like when you wake up and find the weather has changed suddenly over night. So do we.

If you are a fan of the products JT has made over the years, but really put off by DD or DRM, then just sit back for six months and watch. If Kharkov 43 is a success you will see lot so people playing it, posting game results, AAR's, mods for it, tournaments all like the CD games. Six months from now you may still want it. Or not.

I will be willing to bet this game will stand out as another great title in the PzC collection. Having play tested a fair share of it, I can say it is well thought out, provides a number of new features the community has wanted to see and some more that add realism and a unique feel for this campaign.

People always have concerns about new products or processes. Time will see if this is as good as I think it is.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
12-06-2010, 03:28 PM,
(12-06-2010, 02:50 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: I will gladly admit that I was completely and utterly incorrect that JTS wouldn't shift on the fly like this.

Its good to see that JT has acted quickly on what I consider legimate concerns of gamers that pay for his product. I think being able to load onto 2 PCs will certainly keep most people now happy.
Certainly there are other problems but any change always has pro and cons. For me living in Australia, DD is certainly something that I look forward to and its definate pro
244 games with legend that is Richie61
12-06-2010, 08:08 PM,
(12-06-2010, 03:28 PM)Laza Wrote: Certainly there are other problems but any change always has pro and cons. For me living in Australia, DD is certainly something that I look forward to and its definate pro

Ditto for us Kiwis.
12-07-2010, 05:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-07-2010, 05:05 PM by jomni.)
I like the DD idea.

Latest announcement in JT page is that they will now allow for two activations.

I travel a lot. The game is installed in my PC. I cannot install on my laptop (no rights) but I copied the stuff over to a portable drive. Looks like copying won't be doable once I buy though digital download.

Ok what will happen to modding? The base games of the current mods are not protected so we're fine. But what if someone wants to mod newer game? Will copying the whole game folder and playing with the files still work?
Send this user an email