• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PzC Kharkov '43 Just Released
12-04-2010, 04:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 04:46 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
RE: PzC Kharkov '43 Just Released
(12-04-2010, 03:12 AM)Assault Wrote: I am sorry but we are being punished for a crime we have not committed. I own 29 HPS games all bought legitimately.

Nobody is being punished - your 29 HPS titles will work as they always have been and they will continue to be supported.

I own more then on PC too and I have a license of Windows on each one.

This was the approach we felt would work best and I am not sure what more I can add to that.

Quote:... but with this new approach I'm out: no more John Tiller games for me.

Sorry you feel that way but we certainly understand and respect your POV.

Glenn
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2010, 05:52 AM,
The following was originally posted over in the SB section however, I feel it should be added to this PzC area for those of you who may not play and/or visit that forum section.

As a huge supporter and current owner of 42 HPS Simulations games, with four more currently in the mail, my first response was "You have got to be kidding me!"

First, I am disappointed in JT getting away from HPS. From my view point, it was a very successful marriage, and the "big guns" that HPS and John have working for them (Rich, Glen, Oz,) are excellent to deal with. I have a lot of respect for Rich, as he is the sole reason why I own so many HPS games. About 1.5 years ago, he took the time to help introduce me to a thing called PBEM! Rolleyes

Secondly, I am not a fan of Digital Downloads. I am a strong believer of buying hard copies of games however, I can easily see that if I didn't live in the US, DD would be a very popular option. It would allow someone to get a game right now, instead of having to wait for it to arrive in the mail plus paying for all of the extra shipping, duties, etc.

Third, I am very disappointed to see that future game owners will be forced to purchase the DD version at a cost of $39.99 . I had a hard enough time begging my wife, and pretty much selling my soul to the devil, to be able purchase "older" HPS games at reasonable price of $29.99. There is no way my wife is ever going to go for the idea of buying games that sell for $39.99! Also with the way the economy is, $39.99 seems pretty steep.

BTW, where is the JT Software Introductory Price? HPS offered it!

Fourth, I have no problem with the serial number idea. If it helps control illegal coping, I'm all for it.

Fifth, I am very disappointed in the "only one computer at a time idea". I constantly hop between my notebook and my desktop, while at home. The idea of being forced to uninstall a game, reload it, re-apply the game patch, and then reload all of the 3rd party art mods and scenarios, every time I need to switch computers, is not an acceptable or realistic option for me. In-addition to this, there is no way I'd even think about buying two copies of the same game!!

A much better solution to this "idea" would have been to have an option for game owners to be able to un-license the game, thus allowing them to be able to leave the game loaded on that computer's hard drive.

A an example of this is Out of the Park Developments, (the company that designs Out of The Park, a baseball game text simulation series). They were the 1st and only game company where I experienced anything like this before. At least they allow game owners to have the game loaded on two computers, at the same time. If you want it loaded on third computer, you had to un-license the game from one of the currently loaded computers, not un-install the whole entire game, and all of the 3rd party mods and logos.

To sum up everything, I am happy for fans of the PzC series as they have a new game however, that is where my happiness ends. I do not agree with the new games only being released in DD form, and I do not like the new playing restrictions and headaches associated with the newly released game and future games with the "one computer only" restriction.

At this point, I do not plan on buying any new JT games until more reasonable options are available.
12-04-2010, 06:01 AM,
(12-04-2010, 05:52 AM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote: ...
First, I am disappointed in JT getting away from HPS. From my view point, it was a very successful marriage, and the "big guns" that HPS and John have working for them (Rich, Glen, Oz,) are excellent to deal with. I have a lot of respect for Rich, as he is the sole reason why I own so many HPS games. About 1.5 years ago, he took the time to help introduce me to a thing called PBEM! Rolleyes...

Small note, it's my understanding that all those will still be working with JT. There's no change there, as you can see by Glen still being around.
12-04-2010, 06:05 AM,
Personally I don't mind only 1 computer at a time as long as there is a way to re-load it if your PC goes up but I do understand the complaints.
It would be nice if there was a simple way to un-register it on one computer and use it on another, lots of software works like that.
12-04-2010, 06:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 06:46 AM by Sch.)
(12-04-2010, 05:52 AM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote: [i]

I had a hard enough time begging my wife, and pretty much selling my soul to the devil, to be able purchase "older" HPS games at reasonable price of $29.99. There is no way my wife is ever going to go for the idea of buying games that sell for $39.99! Also with the way the economy is, $39.99 seems pretty steep.
I now its not a casual forum and such expressions shouldnt be used here, but i cant help saying LOL. Big Grin

Whos wearing the pants in this marriege?

A new game costs 50 bucks.
This one is sold for 40.
Even I can afford it. And i live in Eastern Europe in a post communist state..

Whats 40 dollars for an american? Nothing i suppose.
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"
12-04-2010, 06:55 AM,
You need to respect other POV's, but you do not have to like it - slow down with the attack dude.
12-04-2010, 07:10 AM,
(12-04-2010, 06:05 AM)Nitram Draw Wrote: Personally I don't mind only 1 computer at a time as long as there is a way to re-load it if your PC goes up but I do understand the complaints.
It would be nice if there was a simple way to un-register it on one computer and use it on another, lots of software works like that.

Exactly how does the DRM function, and can you have two copies of the game and easily toggle activation between the two?

Anyone? Glenn?
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-04-2010, 07:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 07:16 AM by Ricky B.)
I don't think Sch meant it as an attack, at least I hope not, I took it more as a partially tongue in cheek comment along with putting the cost into his perspective. As long as there isn't any fisticuffs starting, or actual insults, please continue your comments gents, anybody gets out of line then Foul and I reserve the right to wade in with guns blazing, or alternatively lock things down.

Thanks all for your cooperation and generally polite discussion on this issue that I know from other games has the potential to escalate, let's keep it that way.

Rick
(12-04-2010, 07:10 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:
(12-04-2010, 06:05 AM)Nitram Draw Wrote: Personally I don't mind only 1 computer at a time as long as there is a way to re-load it if your PC goes up but I do understand the complaints.

Exactly how does the DRM function, and can you have two copies of the game and easily toggle activation between the two?

Anyone? Glenn?
As of yesterday, in testing it, you could not have the game installed on more than one machine, requiring an uninstall before it could be downloaded and installed again. However, I believe the install files can be saved for easier reinstallation but that isn't something I was really looking at when I tested that stuff.

I did make a suggestion to Glenn today regarding a simple activation/deactivation without uninstalling, as when I tested things I copied the entire game folder to a backup before uninstalling, was able to run the game from either copy, then uninstalled the master copy and the backup would no longer run but it did ask for the serial number and if it wasn't installed elsewhere I could reinstate it as the running copy without reinstalling.

As yesterday was the first time I tested switching between machines, I wasn't aware of the details until then, but that is how it is working now.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
12-04-2010, 07:40 AM,
My questions are these

If you copy the game to disk, can you later reinstall it from the disk on the same computer?

If your computer implodes, frying the HD (yes it has happened to me) and you want to install the game on your new computer, how could you do that?
12-04-2010, 07:50 AM,
A copy would work, it just requires that the game be uninstalled from its last active location first. So if you had it installed and the HD failed, you need to contact support, as Glenn noted, and request the serial # be reset, as you won't be able to uninstall it any longer.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]