• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PzC Kharkov '43 Just Released
12-04-2010, 02:40 AM,
RE: PzC Kharkov '43 Just Released
Hey Glen,

Will future patches for "older" HPS Tiller games have restrictions added such as being able to load the game on one computer only, as Kharkov '43 currently has?

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2010, 02:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 02:59 AM by Ricky B.)
(12-04-2010, 02:40 AM)Checkmate King 2 Wrote: Hey Glen,

Will future patches for "older" HPS Tiller games have restrictions added such as being able to load the game on one computer only, as Kharkov '43 currently has?

Thanks
I believe I can speak for Glenn on this one, based on his previous answer. As long as the games are sold on CD, those will not have a restriction - that is strictly a DD implementation. So any game that you bought on CD will stay that way - at least for a long time.

Now if the CDs sell out and someone buys a game as a DD, assuming that is done, then it will have the limitation on it.

I am almost positive of the first part above, I am sure Glenn will correct things is he knows I am wrong on that.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
12-04-2010, 02:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 04:44 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
(12-04-2010, 02:37 AM)cmurphy625 Wrote: Why not send two or three serial numbers to each purchaser... I'm all for you protecting your investment from people sharing files on 'bad' sites.. but seriously, I think this will impact your sales big time.. and some of the sales the you do make and the people don't realize ahead of time about the 1 PC rule.. you may have some pretty pissed of customers..

Also, if a Harddrive crashes (so you couldn't do an uninstall), how does the user reinstall?

We considered more than one license file but decided that products sold through the John Tiller Software Store require activation. This requires a valid Serial Number, issued at the time of purchase, and an Internet connection.

Once activated, the Serial Number and Internet connection are not required to run the program until an update is applied or the product is moved to another computer.

This is just the approach we took.

If your HD crashes - contact support from the link on the site where you bought the game. We'll reset the activation surever for your license and you'll be up and running in no time.

Glenn
(12-04-2010, 02:58 AM)Ricky B Wrote: I am almost positive of the first part above, I am sure Glenn will correct things is he knows I am wrong on that.

We'll figure out exactly what we will do on older games when the HPS Stockpile get to the point that something needs to be done to address it.

At this point there are a few options oppen but we are not at teh point of making a final decision on this - we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

For now rest assure the series is alive and well and older titles will be supported as they have in the were previously. Updates will be made available on an as needed bases title by title, usually with input form you guys playing the games.

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-04-2010, 03:03 AM,
ok.. then why not a lil program that activates/deactivates the one key.. a pain, but doable (still would make me think twice about any purchases)...

as far as the 'friend' thing, I think you will lose a lot more sales than you would if a few people did that with their friend, as opposed to the loss due to people not buying at all because of this DRM
12-04-2010, 03:12 AM,
(12-04-2010, 02:59 AM)Glenn Saunders Wrote: If your HD crashes - contact support from the link on the site where you bought the game. We'll reset the activation surever for your license and you'll be up and running in no time.

Glenn

I am sorry but we are being punished for a crime we have not committed. I own 29 HPS games all bought legitimately. The problem with this new approach is not the digital downloads but the activation scheme. It is just plain draconian to have customers uninstall from a desktop prior to installing to a laptop just because they may be going on a trip or simply to play in another room in their house. And then to have to contact customer service in case of a hard drive crash is just too much. I appreciate everyone's hard work in the development of these games but with this new approach I'm out: no more John Tiller games for me. Take care and God bless.
12-04-2010, 03:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 03:16 AM by Nitram Draw.)
(12-04-2010, 02:28 AM)Glenn Saunders Wrote:
(12-04-2010, 01:31 AM)cmurphy625 Wrote: This DRM would prevent me from purchasing any more Tiller games.. or will it still be available on CD..

We're sorry you feel that way and certainly were prepared for this reaction for some people. While we regret you decision we understand your POV but just don't see a better way to do it which will be fair to you as well as the developers\publisher.

There is no plans for mixed schemes for the games at this point.

- New games will be JTS digital downloads
- Older titles will still be supported and updated as they always have been by HPS.
- Old titles will be available on CD until the CDs run out and then a decision will be made where\how they will be distributed.

Glenn

Ignore. Answered above.
12-04-2010, 03:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 03:42 AM by Jazman.)
(12-04-2010, 03:12 AM)Assault Wrote: I am sorry but we are being punished for a crime we have not committed.

Some sectors of the Software Industry take this approach: "You are guilty, and there is simply no way to prove innocence." Whip

Interesting that HPS went the completely opposite way. And Matrix has a pretty nice approach, too. I know who is getting my money (hint: War in the East :bow: ). For the record, count me as a known lost sale on Kharkov '43.

Merry Christmas to all.
12-04-2010, 03:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 06:30 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Also I have run multiple instances of PzC on the same computer because of different mods. You all have a loyal customer base who understands that you need to be compensated for your work, its a stupid business decision to p**s them off over a draconian DRM policy. Also it constitutes a 35% price increase over NWS
12-04-2010, 03:49 AM,
Will the new features in Kharkov '43 be back-ported into the old titles, as has been customary?
12-04-2010, 03:56 AM,
During testing, I made a copy of the game before installing an update. I was able to run the copy along with the main, as long as I didn't uninstall the main copy. So unless something changed since then, you will be able to run variations on the same PC without a problem.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]