• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Is it worth?
11-17-2010, 08:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2010, 08:18 AM by Philippe.)
RE: Is it worth?
(11-17-2010, 06:48 AM)Glenn Saunders Wrote:
(11-17-2010, 04:13 AM)Philippe Wrote: What I'm having trouble thinking of is any instance of an interdiction strike against my units by the AI while I was moving (and yes, I know I can't order my own).

If it is YOUR TURN and your units are interdicted - than it is NOT YOUR Aricraft - it is the other side - FOR SURE.

Quote:I'm hoping that this is more of an issue for games with older patches.

If you are NOT using the latest patch of the game then upgrade - you info is not valid.

That said the issue might still occur - but talkign about the AI in S41 v1.0 and complaining about how it used to be is pointless

Glenn

Perhaps you read my post a wee bit too quickly.

If you're familiar with any of my writing you'll remember that I do the 'get the latest patch' litany complete with link to the HPS website better than you do. I have to. I don't want my mods getting messed up by someone layering HPS graphics on top of them.

I just reread my post and am at a loss to see why you think I was talking about Smolensk 1.0. With one exception (France 1914) I make it a point verging on fetishism never to own 1.0 of anything. Perhaps the fault should be chalked up to the fact that English is not my first language and there's some subtlety in the language that's going over my head.

The latest patch for Smolensk came out in January 2008. I'd have to take my socks off to work out how many months that comes to, but I think we're talking about a few weeks shy of three years. Seven of the other Panzer Campaigns games have been patched during that time. Under the circumstances I think it's reasonable to wonder out loud if one of those seven has a slightly more advanced engine than Smolensk (especially since I've been encountering issues with files that I'm finding or not finding in that Jan '08 patch).

When I made the comment about an interdiction strike against my units by the AI while I was moving, it didn't occur to me that including the phrase 'by the AI' would confuse you. I was simply trying to convey that I couldn't recall ever seeing an interdiction strike against my own units, and I phrased it that way for emphasis and to suggest that I considered interdiction strikes by the AI against one's units during one's own turn to be a subset of AI strikes against one's units in general, regardless of whose turn it was. The reason that I mentioned being aware that I couldn't order my own interdiction strikes was that in a previous post I had complained about not being able to do precisely that, a [accent grave] la Total War in Europe. It would appear, based on other comments, that I simply play the side with air superiority far too often.
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2010, 12:07 PM,
In that case Philippe disregard my comments completely.

INTERDICTION happens and it happens only under AI control. The amount of interdiction or the freqency is set by the designer in the PDT so not all games will have as much as others.

I am just surprised that a fan like you who has bought so many John Tiller games would have not seen Interdiction in effect somewhere along the way.

Oh Well - sorry for the misunderstanding.

Glenn
Send this user an email
11-21-2010, 12:14 AM,
My feelings on playin against the AI in a campaign are that it depends what you like. I played solo pretty deep into the Moscow 41 campaign. I had a blast playin the Germans. For me to imagine that I was in command of the various armies and corps was the fun part of it, because when planning operations I started at Army level and decided what the objectives would be for that Army then I would assign to each corps their objectives and who and where they would attack and following that I would assign for each corps the objectives of the various Divisions and so forth on down. Then I would execute in the opposite direction from batallion regiment up. To me the fun part was giving the orders and keeping everyone in command and in supply. Granted the AI didnt give me much of a fight and I had the SS inside Moscow by turn 40 I think. I coould have had them there much sooner knowing the AI wasnt very aggressive but It was just fun to play for me. If your objective is to get good competent opposition well the AI in my opinion just cant match a human opponent, and you want stiff competition then you will be sorely disappointed in how the grand campaign plays out in my opinion for most of these games. That doesnt mean you cant have fun on entirely different levels and for different reasons, though. Just my two cents worth.
11-22-2010, 12:12 PM,
Great point Jim - I guess it comes down to taste, Like you I enjoy playing the AI and don'[t really have the time to get into PBEM very much.Really enjoyed a few games against Ricky in the lead up to and during the last Tillercon and won't ever forget my first PBEM game agsisnt a guy in BBG Gettysburg - knowing there was a human controling the other side.

But for me a scn against the AI offers me fun and challenge - which speaks volumes for my skill as a player. :)

Glenn
Send this user an email