• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Is it worth?
11-12-2010, 10:47 PM,
Is it worth?
Playing vs the AI in a big campaign?

Bulge44 for ex... can i expect some cohesive behavior from the AI?
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2010, 12:17 AM,
RE: Is it worth?
(11-12-2010, 10:47 PM)ileonu Wrote: Playing vs the AI in a big campaign?

Bulge44 for ex... can i expect some cohesive behavior from the AI?
Personally I would say no, but it would depend on how good your standard of play is also and the level of competency you expect from the AI.

Ever since I played my first ever game of PzC Sicily against the AI when I slowly surrounded the whole HG div while they sat and watched me, I have not bothered with the AI although I understand that there have been improvements to the AI since that title was released.

The general rule of thumb seems to be that the larger the scenario the worse the AI performs.
11-13-2010, 04:30 PM,
it is really up to you and your own opinion on the value of this. Asking the crew in a PBEM club if playing the AI is worthwhile is like asking the United Autoworkers if the Imported cars are better than those built in the USA.

Here is a comment from one fo rthe guys who has been testing PzC for several titles - he is playing a 49 turn scn and says:

"My kudos for the AI (John Rushing?) in carrying out the significant couterattack against my center. I'm impressed. It threw me off balance and forced some reallocation of troops. AI also firmly beat off my attempted bluff move against his far right. I had to pull back.

The only surprise AI "weakness" is his total abandonment of his two far-left victory hexes. I sent significant mobile forces there to take that city and then found no one home. In a sense, it was clever on AI's part because I effectively "wasted" my forces there. Now they're scurrying back toward my center to help the situation there.

This is challenging. "

FWIW Dr John Rushing is the guy who has been helping us improve the AI since Minsk 44.

Glenn
Send this user an email
11-14-2010, 04:05 AM,
Thanks for the info... ill try a big campaign...=)
11-14-2010, 07:06 AM,
(11-14-2010, 04:05 AM)ileonu Wrote: Thanks for the info... ill try a big campaign...=)

I've been casually playing the scenario from France '40, while it isn't quite the big campaign - it is the one featuring the advance through the Ardennes until the crossings at Dinant and Sedan - and it has been doing a pretty decent job- better than I had expected to be sure. While I've more or less been able to keep to the historical timetable (it is 12 May and I am in a position to start trying to cross the Meuse in strength on 13 May), I haven't had time to actually fight what is supposed to be the climax of this particular scenario yet (time constraints)... and most of the scenario is movement to contact - it has provided an entertaining match.

I'll have to try some others as time permits.
Bydand
Send this user an email
11-14-2010, 07:54 AM,
One thing you can always consider too is playing it solitaire, against yourself. It might sound terrible, but actually it can be quite fun (just pick hotseat mode and play both sides). Anyway, it is just one more way to play these games that doesn't get much consideration...
Send this user an email
11-14-2010, 08:07 AM,
Speaking of AI behavior, has anyone ever received an air strike on their troops from the AI in the AI's turn? Ever?

I noticed this a long time ago, and played a few scenarios against the AI, mostly just advancing into contact then advancing the turns. Even in scenarios where the AI is defending and has air strike assets I never received anything other than the occasional interdiction on the travel mode troops.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
11-14-2010, 09:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-14-2010, 09:11 AM by Philippe.)
I was up kind of late playing Kursk last night, but I'm pretty sure the Russian AI tried to launch a couple of airstrikes. One was either intercepted by fighters or shot up by my Flak, but I think one actually went through with the attack.

Not sure if it did any damage though -- I was too busy trying to figure out if my new damage symbol makes sense on ruptured anti-tank ditches as well as knocked out bridges and torn up railroad tracks.

(It does, and all my East Front mods have now been updated to use it.)

So the bottom line is I'm pretty sure the Russian AI launches airstrikes in Kursk, but I'm not completely sure they do any damage.

You've touched on something else I've been wondering about. The AI can launch interdiction attacks (though I can't say I've ever seen one). If I identify a choke point and want to order a squadron of Stuka's or Sturmovik's to camp out on top of it, how do I go about doing that? I want to set up my own interdiction strikes.
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
11-14-2010, 11:20 AM,
(11-14-2010, 07:54 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: One thing you can always consider too is playing it solitaire, against yourself. It might sound terrible, but actually it can be quite fun (just pick hotseat mode and play both sides). Anyway, it is just one more way to play these games that doesn't get much consideration...

You just described my playtest routine for Ren :)
Bydand
Send this user an email
11-14-2010, 01:55 PM,
(11-14-2010, 08:07 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: Speaking of AI behavior, has anyone ever received an air strike on their troops from the AI in the AI's turn? Ever?

I noticed this a long time ago, and played a few scenarios against the AI, mostly just advancing into contact then advancing the turns. Even in scenarios where the AI is defending and has air strike assets I never received anything other than the occasional interdiction on the travel mode troops.

Dog Soldier
I have to say that I am testing a scenario against the AI right now, and the AI has lost a plane, so there are definitely some air strikes being called in. Same code in all the games so presumably the air gets called in all cases, maybe just infrequently.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]