• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Is it worth?
11-14-2010, 06:27 PM,
RE: Is it worth?
One thing that i noticed about the AI is that it plays way better on the offensive than in defense. For example i've never seen the AI blowing bridges or planting mines to delay the enemy...
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2010, 03:21 AM,
(11-14-2010, 06:27 PM)P.Ako Wrote: One thing that i noticed about the AI is that it plays way better on the offensive than in defense. For example i've never seen the AI blowing bridges or planting mines to delay the enemy...

I don't think the AI will evenplant a mine butthere is a special function in the editor to build and\or damage a bridge - so it will do it if the scn has been scripted for it - but not on its own.

AND on the part of my previous post about the issue the tester had with the Objective being abandoned - we have corrected that already.

Glenn
Send this user an email
11-15-2010, 05:42 AM,
My own experience is the same as P.Akos. The AI does a reasonable job when attacking, as long as it has a clear numerical superiority. When defending (and being numerically inferior) the AI has a tendency to simple "stand fast, damn the cost", which is of course death in these kind of games, where "Isolation" is such a powerful tool.

Regarding mines:
-In the MC series, the AI will fire artillery delivered minelets. It will often not do so very intelligently, but it will fire them.

-In order to coax the AI engineers into laying mines, a canny scenario designer can set up the engineer unit in the editor to start the game in "Laying Mines" status. This can be a useful tool if one wishes to introduce an element of chance in to the scenario (ie. there might/might not be a minefield laid in this hex at some point).
Send this user an email
11-15-2010, 05:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-15-2010, 05:45 PM by P.Ako.)
(11-15-2010, 05:42 AM)JDR Dragoon Wrote: Regarding mines:
-In the MC series, the AI will fire artillery delivered minelets. It will often not do so very intelligently, but it will fire them.

He! i've never seen that!, neither the use of tactical nukes

And BTW yes, the AI attacking only plays weel with having numerical superiority. In Middle East '67 i've seen the much better trained IDF units beeing overruned by the much worse trained but beeing numericaly superior Arabs, which in the six days days war scenario is a bit... unhistorical :conf:
11-16-2010, 01:29 AM,
(11-15-2010, 05:36 PM)P.Ako Wrote:
(11-15-2010, 05:42 AM)JDR Dragoon Wrote: Regarding mines:

He! i've never seen that!, neither the use of tactical nukes

And BTW yes, the AI attacking only plays weel with having numerical superiority. In Middle East '67 i've seen the much better trained IDF units beeing overruned by the much worse trained but beeing numericaly superior Arabs, which in the six days days war scenario is a bit... unhistorical :conf:

I've seen the AI use chemical weapons in MC. And it definately uses air too!
11-17-2010, 03:58 AM,
I've seen the AI fly recon missions over my front line units - the ones right across from the AI's units. Complete waste. Have also seen it repeat a recon flight in the same spot in the same turn.

The AI also has a problem with allowing its units to get surrounded, even when it can avoid this.
11-17-2010, 04:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2010, 04:18 AM by Philippe.)
What I'm having trouble thinking of is any instance of an interdiction strike against my units by the AI while I was moving (and yes, I know I can't order my own).

I was testing Smolensk the other evening to see how some new Russian images looked when I finally saw the Panzer Campaigns AI do something really boneheaded. It organized a counter-attack (that in itself is impressive), but used a Corps headquarters to lead it. That's the kind of game behavior that's gotten me to pretty much abandon playing the ACW and Napoleonic titles solitaire.

I wonder how hard it would be to add an instruction to the AI code to the effect that the AI should only move hq's after everything else, should avoid moving them next to known enemy units, and should never let hq's stage cavalry charges.

I'm hoping that this is more of an issue for games with older patches.
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
11-17-2010, 04:29 AM,
(11-17-2010, 04:13 AM)Philippe Wrote: What I'm having trouble thinking of is any instance of an interdiction strike against my units by the AI while I was moving (and yes, I know I can't order my own).

Play Danube, better yet play the Bolt out of the blue mod. I've lost 300+ vehicles to interdiction in 2 turns!
11-17-2010, 06:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2010, 06:08 AM by -72-.)
Try playing Normandy as the Germans.

The Italians in VM's Compass do as well (which I don't think is something that he changed)... those are just off the top of my head).
Bydand
Send this user an email
11-17-2010, 06:48 AM,
(11-17-2010, 04:13 AM)Philippe Wrote: What I'm having trouble thinking of is any instance of an interdiction strike against my units by the AI while I was moving (and yes, I know I can't order my own).

If it is YOUR TURN and your units are interdicted - than it is NOT YOUR Aricraft - it is the other side - FOR SURE.

Quote:I'm hoping that this is more of an issue for games with older patches.

If you are NOT using the latest patch of the game then upgrade - you info is not valid.

That said the issue might still occur - but talkign about the AI in S41 v1.0 and complaining about how it used to be is pointless

Glenn
Send this user an email