• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HBO: The Pacific
11-12-2010, 06:02 PM,
RE: HBO: The Pacific
I finished watching it... and I am impressed... it was a good series... better than BoB? Well, I wouldn't say that... It's different... and it had a much darker tone than BoB... but I found it extremely interesting...

It was well worth the cost on Blu-Ray... the panoramic battle scenes were awesome...

as a veteran I can definitely relate to many portions even if my experience was quite a bit less intense than these Marines faced... it did capture the mood of a combat zone pretty well... as well as the coming home disconnect...

This is one I want to watch again...

Jim
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2010, 04:52 PM,
Is this what your after ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tank-Battles-Wor...016&sr=8-1

(11-12-2010, 05:35 AM)Sgt K. Kat Wrote: Slightly off topic here... WWII The Lost Films by History channel, presenting footage in colour for the first time, made some noise when started showing here.

A much better held secret has been the Discovery Channel's The Greatest Tank Battles series. I've managed to have missed most of them, unfortunately.

I did manage to catch the battle of Arracourt yesterday, presenting the battle the 4th Armored fought against the very well equipped Panzer grenadiers and Panzer regiments with Panthers - and beating the living **** out of them in man-vs-man battles. Putting the myth of superior German tactical skills to bed.

I also managed to catch the latter parts of two-part series on Bulge and on Kursk. Missed the Canadian break-out from Normandy I really wanted to see.

Are these available on DVD yet at your part of world (I have a region free DVD player)?

Tried to google for these for a while with not much luck... Maybe it is not out yet on DVDs?

http://www.yourdiscovery.com/video/great...inal-push/
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
11-13-2010, 06:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2010, 06:31 PM by Crossroads.)
Thanks Antoni, actually: not. I am after the Discovery Channel's what I now assume must be a new series of episodes on battles mostly from WW II. Some Iraqi scenes included in at least one or two episodes as well.

They've done a good job at having some actual footage, CGI "footage" (a'la Combat mission, I guess, but with tanks and arty alone), and then having veterans from both sides reminescing (sp) events of that time, something at times on a larger scale of company or battalion operations, but mostly on a personal level.

There's been some excellent CGI re-enactments of various events the GIs faced in the normandy, also on the Kursk episode the followed a Stug commander's story (he was telling the story himself), that at some point included getting stuck while there were several T-34s approaching. Wheew...

Some pretty good stuff, and done a bit differently from what I've seen before...
Visit us at CSLegion.com
11-14-2010, 04:07 AM,
(11-13-2010, 06:29 PM)Sgt K. Kat Wrote: Thanks Antoni, actually: not. I am after the Discovery Channel's what I now assume must be a new series of episodes on battles mostly from WW II. Some Iraqi scenes included in at least one or two episodes as well.

They've done a good job at having some actual footage, CGI "footage" (a'la Combat mission, I guess, but with tanks and arty alone), and then having veterans from both sides reminescing (sp) events of that time, something at times on a larger scale of company or battalion operations, but mostly on a personal level.

There's been some excellent CGI re-enactments of various events the GIs faced in the normandy, also on the Kursk episode the followed a Stug commander's story (he was telling the story himself), that at some point included getting stuck while there were several T-34s approaching. Wheew...

Some pretty good stuff, and done a bit differently from what I've seen before...

Sounds like your talking about Greatest Tank Battles. It's a Canadian series narrated by Robin Ward (Canadian TV personality). History Channel (Canada) has been running it since late last year (in reruns now). Good series but not without it's flaws: in one Battle of The Bulge episode a Jagdpanzer IV is identified as a Jagdtiger.:rolleyes: The Gulf War & Mid East episodes were good though. I don't think that it's been released on DVD/Blu-Ray yet. Could be wrong though.

BTW I picked up The Pacific on the day that it was released. Saved $15 because my friend had given me a gift card.Big Grin
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
11-14-2010, 07:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-14-2010, 07:19 PM by Crossroads.)
(11-14-2010, 04:07 AM)Gasbag Wrote: Sounds like your talking about Greatest Tank Battles. It's a Canadian series narrated by Robin Ward (Canadian TV personality). History Channel (Canada) has been running it since late last year (in reruns now). Good series but not without it's flaws: in one Battle of The Bulge episode a Jagdpanzer IV is identified as a Jagdtiger.:rolleyes: The Gulf War & Mid East episodes were good though. I don't think that it's been released on DVD/Blu-Ray yet. Could be wrong though.

Yes, that's the one. So it is made by Canadian Discovery Channel, good stuff, as it portrays some of the forgotten battles fought by the Canadians. I guess they were learning as the went along.

Some of the series have been a bit of a letdown, ie. I finally was able to catch the episode where Canadians break out from Juno beach. D-Day to Falaise pocket in one episode, did not work out too well. Mostly interviewed Canadians as well, they had one German from 2nd SS but all he was given was to describe the Panther in two sentences.

Some of the episodes, like the episode describing the battle for Hochwald forest in Feb-March 1945 have been really good. In those episodes, they've given a lot of minutes to veterans and then created a CGI to model these stories. On that particular episode a Tpr from 2nd Armoured tells his story for some 15 minutes. You can tell by at looking how he travelled back in time to describe how six of the 19 tanks survived the attack, what it looks like to watch down a barrel of an 88 from the wrong end, claiming you can actually see the APCR heading your way. "You knew they were going to die, they knew they were going to die, they fought on regardless. You just had to kill them." A great and touching story.

On the episode describing the battle of Arracourt, a decisive German defeat, a lot of airtime was given to a Pvt from one of the Panzergrenadier regiments invoveld. He described how terrible and confusing the situation was, and how terrible it was too see friendly forces taking terrible losses by the Allier air superiority, for example how he witnessed several tanks being hit by napalm bombs and how the men were burned alive.

The WW II veterans will not be with us for much longer. I appreciate the effort this series has done in giving us a chance to really appreciate what these men went through.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
11-15-2010, 06:15 AM,
(11-14-2010, 07:17 PM)Sgt K. Kat Wrote:
(11-14-2010, 04:07 AM)Gasbag Wrote: Sounds like your talking about Greatest Tank Battles. It's a Canadian series narrated by Robin Ward (Canadian TV personality). History Channel (Canada) has been running it since late last year (in reruns now). Good series but not without it's flaws: in one Battle of The Bulge episode a Jagdpanzer IV is identified as a Jagdtiger.:rolleyes: The Gulf War & Mid East episodes were good though. I don't think that it's been released on DVD/Blu-Ray yet. Could be wrong though.

Yes, that's the one. So it is made by Canadian Discovery Channel, good stuff, as it portrays some of the forgotten battles fought by the Canadians. I guess they were learning as the went along.

Some of the series have been a bit of a letdown, ie. I finally was able to catch the episode where Canadians break out from Juno beach. D-Day to Falaise pocket in one episode, did not work out too well. Mostly interviewed Canadians as well, they had one German from 2nd SS but all he was given was to describe the Panther in two sentences.

Some of the episodes, like the episode describing the battle for Hochwald forest in Feb-March 1945 have been really good. In those episodes, they've given a lot of minutes to veterans and then created a CGI to model these stories. On that particular episode a Tpr from 2nd Armoured tells his story for some 15 minutes. You can tell by at looking how he travelled back in time to describe how six of the 19 tanks survived the attack, what it looks like to watch down a barrel of an 88 from the wrong end, claiming you can actually see the APCR heading your way. "You knew they were going to die, they knew they were going to die, they fought on regardless. You just had to kill them." A great and touching story.

On the episode describing the battle of Arracourt, a decisive German defeat, a lot of airtime was given to a Pvt from one of the Panzergrenadier regiments invoveld. He described how terrible and confusing the situation was, and how terrible it was too see friendly forces taking terrible losses by the Allier air superiority, for example how he witnessed several tanks being hit by napalm bombs and how the men were burned alive.

The WW II veterans will not be with us for much longer. I appreciate the effort this series has done in giving us a chance to really appreciate what these men went through.

No I'm certain that it's not a Discovery Channel series. It's shown on History Television here in Canada & it's a Canadian produced program. You can probably find the History Television website by doing a search on Google. Specify Canada in your search settings. They might have the series available to purchase. I doubt it though because they're still running it.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
11-15-2010, 07:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-15-2010, 07:58 PM by Crossroads.)
History Television. Gotcha (finally)! :)

That's right, here's the site: http://www.history.ca/ontv/titledetails....eid=248527

If you find out these are available on DVDs in Canada or US I would be interested to purchase them. I guess they would be available via Amazon, for an example.

The videos are not available to me: http://www.history.ca/video/default.aspx (select Greatest Tank Battles from the menu).

Are they available to viewers in US?

For an example, the Battle for the Hochwald Gap, one of the better episodes, seems to be available for a complete view under the Days Of Remembrance menu. However, it does not allow play for me.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
11-16-2010, 01:07 AM,
(11-15-2010, 07:53 PM)Sgt K. Kat Wrote: History Television. Gotcha (finally)! :)

That's right, here's the site: http://www.history.ca/ontv/titledetails....eid=248527

If you find out these are available on DVDs in Canada or US I would be interested to purchase them. I guess they would be available via Amazon, for an example.

The videos are not available to me: http://www.history.ca/video/default.aspx (select Greatest Tank Battles from the menu).

Are they available to viewers in US?

For an example, the Battle for the Hochwald Gap, one of the better episodes, seems to be available for a complete view under the Days Of Remembrance menu. However, it does not allow play for me.

Hi Kat:

If I see them available here in Canada I'll be sure to let you know. I don't know if they're available to US viewers. Our History Television & the US History Channel are completely separate entities. History Television (HT) runs US made series like "Dogfights" & "Battle 360" but I don't know if History Channel (HC) runs any of our series. Probably not, unless the program subject is American.

Like I said before if I come across them here I'll give you a shout (PM). Okay...:)