• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HBO: The Pacific
11-01-2010, 12:46 AM,
HBO: The Pacific
This series releases on DVD/Blu-Ray on 2 November... I look forward to finally watching it...

If you want to live, get off the beach...

Jim
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2010, 02:52 AM,
RE: HBO: The Pacific
So did anyone find out why the tanks trucks etc were painted with that particular shade of green?
Visit us at CSLegion.com
11-01-2010, 08:09 AM,
It has been on TV down our way. I thought it was great. Much more graphic than Band of Brothers in the sordid details of war.
11-01-2010, 08:43 AM,
I saw the advertisment on tv it looks good

Gary
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
11-01-2010, 10:23 AM,
It was a great series, my Dad and I on the last episode got a little dust in our eyes, found memories of his childhood were brought back.

He thought (as I do) comparing it to band of brothers wasn't fair, 2 different series, apples and oranges.

BoB followed a singular group of men from D-Day to VE day, 2 years really.

the Pacific follows (tries to really) 3 main characters, through the entire Pacific campaign, Guadalcanal to Okinawa and the A-bomb.

It's definitely worth a rent (seeing it in anything other than HD won't do it justice).

-mark
11-02-2010, 06:06 AM,
Gents: :smoke:

For those interested in learning more about this series... here is the official Web site HBO: The Pacific
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
11-02-2010, 05:22 PM,
I just bought the set via Amazon... almost 50% off what was paid for X-mas present of BoB years ago... My birthday present to self... LOL...

Plus my pre-order Smolensk book is on the way...

Good stuff...
11-06-2010, 09:36 AM,
I enjoyed it. My father-in-law served in that theater. He never speaks of it and I felt like I finally got a brief glimpse of what his experience might have been like.
11-07-2010, 03:18 AM,
Received it in the mail... Been through Part 1 through 4... It is good so far... loved the confused battle scenes on the Canal... Running through the jungle in the night with the belts of MG ammo straight into the enemy for some hand to hand... Running around in the dark with guys with loaded weapons is a bit hairy... I thought it captured that effect real well...

Also when they were getting shelled... but for the grace of God go I, as they look down on the destroyed bunker...

A lot of internal reflection...

Good stuff so far...

Jim
11-12-2010, 05:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-12-2010, 05:37 AM by Crossroads.)
Slightly off topic here... WWII The Lost Films by History channel, presenting footage in colour for the first time, made some noise when started showing here.

A much better held secret has been the Discovery Channel's The Greatest Tank Battles series. I've managed to have missed most of them, unfortunately.

I did manage to catch the battle of Arracourt yesterday, presenting the battle the 4th Armored fought against the very well equipped Panzer grenadiers and Panzer regiments with Panthers - and beating the living **** out of them in man-vs-man battles. Putting the myth of superior German tactical skills to bed.

I also managed to catch the latter parts of two-part series on Bulge and on Kursk. Missed the Canadian break-out from Normandy I really wanted to see.

Are these available on DVD yet at your part of world (I have a region free DVD player)?

Tried to google for these for a while with not much luck... Maybe it is not out yet on DVDs?

http://www.yourdiscovery.com/video/great...inal-push/
Visit us at CSLegion.com