• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Counter Art
11-07-2010, 10:34 AM,
RE: Counter Art
Thanks for the follow up Jim. Hopefully next week I'll have a new system with 1920x1080 on a 24 inch monitor.

What size and kind (even model #) are you running to get 1200 pixel high.

I know there are some and my new video card will support 1200, but not many monitors will.

Glenn
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2010, 01:19 PM,
Glenn Im not running 1200 high in fact my resolution isnt even all that high its 1366X768....so far from being really high end and I am only on a laptop. My only point was that moving from the 800X600 from where I started PZC to these higher resolutions means I have adjusted from 2D zoom in to 3D zoom in and I havent minded the switch. Before with 800X600 u didnt see much of the map in 3D. But now I can see much more using the 3D counters and I have grown to like the 3D better than the 2D. However the 2D looks more like the old board games we all learned on and if u all are like me....still love...but just harder to set up and play.
11-07-2010, 01:52 PM,
OK Jim - thanks

I have bought my first laptop for Tillercon I and it had 1600 pixel wide on a 15inch screen which is very nice but yes, the 2D icons are small.
Looking forward to 1920x1080 for sure.
Send this user an email
11-26-2010, 04:01 AM,
Although it is slightly annoying to use sometimes, you can use the built in Magnifier in Windows 7. I have two monitors, so it allows me to blow the game up on the second monitor, so I can read the fine lettering on the unit info box.
11-26-2010, 05:41 AM,
I already put forward a suggestion over at thewargamer site.

HPSSIMS already have a larger 2D hex in the Squad Battles games.
Maybe this could be ported over to the PZC/MC series.

Might be a easy quick solution but then again things are never that easy, theory and practice I had more than my share in engineering.

Anyhow trauth116 did mention he would have a little tinker with the game. But when you alter the hex size everything else needs tweaked.
11-26-2010, 07:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2010, 05:55 PM by -72-.)
I should elaborate here (I'd forgotten I wrote that to be honest). What I meant was to have a look at the files and have a brainstorming session as to what could be done.

What you have in Squad Battles is not a zoom in level but rather, they are larger hexsizes. At the time I wrote on Wargamer.com I was under the impression that the dimensions of the .bmp file were larger than the ones used in the other series.

It turns out they are exactly the same as PzC, (I'm talking about the rectangular file with all of the other images on them); as far as the hexes go SB uses half the amount of hexes (a horizontal row shows 6 hexes in SB while in PzC and others they are showing 12 hexes).

In order to see if it is workable, however, in my opinion all one has to do is start with a hex grid file; while you probably don't have to change any other files (mainly because if the program is calling on specific hex dimensions then it is all a moot point - it isn't going to work), but you could either rename all of your files that are showing x100.bmp aside from the one hexgrid file or just move them to another folder where the program won't find them when they call them... sure you'll get an error that the program can't find all sorts of files - but that is ok- since that is a result of moving them out of the way (if you leave them as is I suspect all that will happen is that you'll get some odd images).

Since you may well get some odd images if the game program has defined where to find the hex (by height, width, and x and y axes), then it is all going to look fairly odd anyways.

Now considering that I have had occasions in the past which if you were just a little bit out of alignment with a hex, that it would show up on hexes where I wasn't wanting them to. Actually aside from knowing that something wasn't what I was looking to have happen (and then trying to track it down and correct it -or just not worrying about it...) I hadn't bothered considering how exactly it would work.

I haven't had time to actually do any of these -but that is what I was considering. To prevent anyone from reading between the lines, in doing this I was only intending on playing around with the .bmp files (which is all I ever do). :)

___

Edited later:

As a follow up - the hex sizes -with regards to the size of the portion of the bmp files seem to be set in the programming (which makes sense based upon prior "glitches" I'd encountered. I did just for the heck of it, stick a 2dnormal100.bmp file in to Budapest 45 from Dien Bien Phu just to verify this -and -not surprisingly the program did draw something- however it the hex sizes are defined in the programming (and if you can add and remove countour lines there isn't any other way it is happening ... then -well, I only play around with the images; that is always going to be the extent of any tinkering I do.
Bydand
Send this user an email
11-27-2010, 08:23 AM,
(11-26-2010, 05:41 AM)Lowlander Wrote: Might be a easy quick solution but then again things are never that easy, theory and practice I had more than my share in engineering.

The easy solution if 2D Normal is too small is 3D Normal with COUNTERS which contain values even.

Also - the new Keyboard I have has an option for zooming the screen in further.

Glenn
Send this user an email