• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New CS?
10-17-2010, 11:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-17-2010, 11:37 PM by Crossroads.)
RE: New CS?
I had a look at the Squad Battles and Panzer Campaigns websites. I was assuming they would all be 2D games, but it seems the SB comes with a 3D view as well. although the graphics can't be compared to Campaign Series eye candy. See for yourself: http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/SB...y/RV-1.jpg

What I was assuming until that point was that the new Panzer Battles would come out as a 2D game, in the spirit of the original PB / PL card board games.

Why? First, it would be a huge task to get all the 3D graphics completed. Just look at the incredible amount of unit graphics this game has! It would take years to start from a scratch, wouldn't it?

Secondly, 2D is where the current JTCS is lacking as the NATO counters do not provide the level of information (on armoured units) necessary to play the game. (See http://gregpanzerblitz.com/Germans/2ndPanzerDec44.pdf)

If they should come out using the PB/PL type of counters, it would therefore provide the gaming market with something that was not there earlier, a nice 2D engine for those more accustomed for operational level interfaces.

As for the JTCS 1.05, I am definitively with Matrix guys in getting the Modern Wars out first. There are some glitches in 1.04, but they seem to be quite small ones, aren't they, no show stoppers there.

After that, say, in JTCS 2.0 it would be nice to see a more combined JTCS experience, with a single *.exe and combined OOBs, new tweaks to engine from MW etc... I would not mind if that game would have a price tag on it, hopefully with a discount for those owning a JTCS 1.x already.

So yes, interested to see if the new John Tiller title will recreate the Panzerblitz days, as such it would be a fun game to own. At the same time, JTCS has such a strong legacy, community, and an open interface for user mods I do not see it disappering any time soon?

What I would really really like to see would be to have the said PB/PL unit counter GUIs on top of JTCS 2D view. Could that be done as a user mod? As a community effort it could be possible, yes?

That would require of course that the copyrights would have expired for the old PB and PL card board games, if it would be part of the official JTCS experience. Nothing should stop us scanning those units ourselves, as a non-profit community mod? Jason, what you think?

I mean, there's a lot of stuff out there: e.g. http://gregpanzerblitz.com/

cheers
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2010, 12:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2010, 12:27 AM by keif149.)
(10-17-2010, 03:28 PM)Jason Petho Wrote:
(10-17-2010, 11:30 AM)keif149 Wrote: ...Assuming it does get completed though...

Which it won't anytime soon.

Since John Tiller is keen on making a new version, that looks like it will replace the Campaign Series, there is no sense for me to spend the many months required to pull a new platoon coding system all together.

That being said, we'll continue to UPDATE the Matrix series, as I described above, and focus on the additional compilations.

Jason Petho

That's good to know. One of the best things I like about Matrix CS is the huge scenario database. If it would never get further updates, it's good enough for me right now. Except maybe put the Jap oob back together ;-)
I should add, that I plan on buying Modern Wars. Mainly for Vietnam. Even it costs $100 also :-)
Send this user an email
10-18-2010, 01:01 AM,
Thanks for clarifying things Jason
10-18-2010, 02:57 AM,
There are a lot of talented people here and when they work together, anything is really possible.

Regarding the 2D enhancements (I agree, they could use some improvements for the units), there are a few things that need to be considered.

1. What information are you looking for on the counter that isn't immediately identifiable from the Unit Display when a unit is selected (U on the keyboard).

2. Due to the space limitations on the counters, can those values be minimized? One or two values? Opening up any of the icons2D.bmp will show you the limited space there is around any of the particular units.

3. Based on those limitations, would an alternate system be functional? Series of different coloured pixels to present a value?

4. Scanning and using the PB/PL counters within the game would be OK if used locally (assuming a seamless integration, which I don't think it is) but not sure what copyright rules are regarding the distribution.

One could edit the icons2D.bmp and add a number of different 2D level graphics for different tanks, trucks, infantry, etc so there are more unique units. An enhanced coding system could be incorporated around those unique units to display a limited amount of information about the unit.

Having the identical information as found on the PB/PL counters would require a new 2D level.
Send this user an email
10-18-2010, 03:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2010, 03:29 AM by Crossroads.)
Thanks Jason,

I will try to answer the questions one through five here:

- I guess what I am looking for is for the unit counters to be informative as they are. In other words, to be able to view the map as a whole and to get a good understanding from it alone.

- As almost everyone plays with Fog of War on, I assume the unit strength would be the other information, the other one could be a flag for disrupted / fatigued units (I'm not sure fatigue is visible with FoW).

- Having looked at the icons2D.bmp it seems that this would not really work at the end of the day... There's just not enough pixels available for PB / PL type of counters ...

- As you mention, this would require a completely new 2D zoom level. Speaking of which, as I have a modern HD screen, the current 2Ds don't really work for my old eyes anymore. The graphics are just way too small.

I guess as a conclusion I can continue to play the game as it is, and pick up the PL card board game for those trips into memory lane...

Thanks cheers
Visit us at CSLegion.com
10-18-2010, 03:58 AM,
(10-18-2010, 03:26 AM)Sgt K. Kat Wrote: - I guess what I am looking for is for the unit counters to be informative as they are. In other words, to be able to view the map as a whole and to get a good understanding from it alone.

Can you expand upon this? What in particular are you interested in seeing?

(10-18-2010, 03:26 AM)Sgt K. Kat Wrote: - As almost everyone plays with Fog of War on, I assume the unit strength would be the other information, the other one could be a flag for disrupted / fatigued units (I'm not sure fatigue is visible with FoW).

Presently, I don't think these additions are possible in the 2D mode on the map. This would require coding, I believe.

(10-18-2010, 03:26 AM)Sgt K. Kat Wrote: - Having looked at the icons2D.bmp it seems that this would not really work at the end of the day... There's just not enough pixels available for PB / PL type of counters ...

No, unfortunately there isn't with the present bmp's.

(10-18-2010, 03:26 AM)Sgt K. Kat Wrote: - As you mention, this would require a completely new 2D zoom level. Speaking of which, as I have a modern HD screen, the current 2Ds don't really work for my old eyes anymore. The graphics are just way too small.

Yes. But as the basic level is too small, one could spend the time to replace the 2D level as a modification. Replacing level 5 with something larger, possibly. Of course, one would have to replace all level 5 related graphics.

Alternatively, adjusting your screen resolution to something else would increase the 2D icon sizes. But that doesn't resolve the issue of not having all the information on the counters you seek.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
10-18-2010, 04:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2010, 04:10 AM by Crossroads.)
Jason

- What I would like to see is some sort of a PB/PL type of a counter, where I can spot a difference between my Pz III vs Pz IV, or on my Sherman 75mm vs Firefly.

- I understand this would require a lot of work, so I am not getting my hopes high. With the modern screens, I would agree that level 5 has become obsolete, and could thus be replaced with a close-up 2D. I am aware I can change my screen resolution, but I do not wish to do that for several reasons. 3D works nicely as-is.

- If that close-up 2D would appear, then the PB/PL type of counters that actually could describe the tank would be available, albeit with a lot of work.

Again, to conclude, without looking at the details I assumed this (ie. PB unit counters) could be a user mod, given some effort. But as it is not possible, I am quite happy with the current version.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
10-18-2010, 04:22 AM,
(10-18-2010, 04:10 AM)Sgt K. Kat Wrote: Jason

- What I would like to see is some sort of a PB/PL type of a counter, where I can spot a difference between my Pz III vs Pz IV, or on my Sherman 75mm vs Firefly.

The icons are intended to provide a quick reference as to what the vehicle type is. In theory, one can distinguish between a Tiger and a Panzer II. The Shermans are more difficult, of course.

But, what about a system on those counter that would help identify them at a glance?

For German tanks, the existing siloette with a number of pixel points to determine which Panzer it is.

silhouette <-- Panzer I

silhouette <-- Panzer III

For Shermans something similar could be done: a pixel code, or trying to squeeze in a letter (F for Firefly).

I would be happy to tackle this, but just don't have the time at the moment based on what I mentioned above. But if someone else out there is so inclined, I would love to see what the result would be.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
10-18-2010, 02:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2010, 02:34 PM by Panzer VI.)
Thanks for the clarification Jason,

There are questions to be answered about this new Panzer Battles games. Will cover an entire front like JTCS, or will it be more Campaign Based?(like a game focusing on Normandy Actions) If covering an entire front, will we get Map editors?(The editing capability of JTCS is going to be what's keeping the Matrix version strong) 2D only? 3D only? Both?

These questions is whats going to make me decided whether to switch or not. Also, by JT calling "Panzer" Battles it's safe to assume the Pacific theatre will be left out, further influencing my decision...we'll see...
10-18-2010, 08:45 PM,
(10-17-2010, 03:28 PM)Jason Petho Wrote:
(10-17-2010, 11:30 AM)keif149 Wrote: ...Assuming it does get completed though...

Which it won't anytime soon.

Since John Tiller is keen on making a new version, that looks like it will replace the Campaign Series, there is no sense for me to spend the many months required to pull a new platoon coding system all together.

That being said, we'll continue to UPDATE the Matrix series, as I described above, and focus on the additional compilations.

Jason Petho

Hi Jason,

Since we got your attention :) I will continue on the topic:

How feasible do you see it for the Campaign Series to be ported to run on a single engine, combining the RS EF and WF engines into the latest Modern Wars engine?

I assume it would be a lot of work, but on the positive side the maintenance of the product would become so much easier?

As for the platoon coding system. I assume you would be able to create an automatic conversion tool for changing all the scenarios. As it would be next to impossible to modify the plethora of scenarios we have manually.
Visit us at CSLegion.com