• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Still have email problemsw
10-12-2010, 10:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-12-2010, 10:51 PM by Crossroads.)
RE: Still have email problemsw
(10-12-2010, 04:42 AM)Kampfpanzer Wrote: And this only happens with the file from one player, files from the other player I'm battling right now open normally - err, I mean, so far... I've browsed the net for solutions without results. Any help, even if only a hint, would be much appreciated, thanks a lot!

Just a thought:

So what you are saying you have pinpointed the source of the problem to be the files sent by a certain player.

Are you sure you are the one with the problem? Would it be possible to check how those files you received work on another computer? If they do work there, then it is your set up.

However, if they do not work there either, then the problem is on the sending side, not with you.

I have had occasional issues with zipped files I've send. They do not open on the receiving party's PC. However, the problem is on my side, not theirs...
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2010, 03:29 AM,
Gents,

Thanks all for your time. Now, "by numbers":

SCUD - I did reinstall the updates, not yet the full game, I guess I'll try that as a last resort. My OS is Windows XP Pro v5.1 SP3. Following your suggestion, I've just openned a thread at the Matrix forum, under "Unnoficial Tech Support - pbem file won't open". Any results will be posted on this thread.

WOLFMAN - I'm sorry, I don't get it.

SGT. K. KAT - Yeah, that's good thinking. Still, my opponent is an experienced player and hasn't reported any such issues with other players, so I thought it must be me. I guess I'll be able to try the file on another PC tomorrow, I'll post any results.

Again, thanks & best regards
Kampfpanzer

Boldly they rode and well; / Into the jaws of Death,
(Tennyson, 1855)
10-16-2010, 02:17 AM,
Gents,

I tried on another machine (Win XP as well) but it also won't open. On the Matrix forum Jason Petho has offered to help, so I sent him the last game file, let's look forward to his comments.

Best
Kampfpanzer

(Tennyson, 1855)
10-16-2010, 02:38 AM,
Thanks Armando, keep us apprised.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
10-18-2010, 08:50 PM,
Gents,

Good news, and bad...

Jason Petho was kind enough to fix my problem, in his own words, there was something wrong with my password. So, I got a new password and everything was fine, back in battle! Alas, again I spoke too soon...

Right after sending that game file, I went for the other game I'm playing and now it's this one that won't open. After playing 6 or 7 turns without any problems. Can you believe it? This feels soooo stupid!

The funniest thing is that this happened to me years ago (96/97 I guess), on another PC, another OS, another game version (the original WF, german version). I couldn't find a way to fix it then, so I gave up pbem, until now.

Anyway, one fixed, one screwed, I guess you might call it a draw... :conf:
I trust I'll be back soon with further developments. Many thanks to Jason
Petho. sorry for the mess. :bow:

Best
Kampfpanzer

(Tennyson, 1855)
10-19-2010, 03:58 AM,
Certainly need to apologize, any time you figure out a solution to a bug, even when it's self-created, and post the solution for others, it's a good thing.

The second file that won't open, though, is it the same thing that happened to the first file (the one Jason fixed)? If so, maybe something's going on that's corrupting the password? Or... your cap lock key is on? :)

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
10-19-2010, 08:07 AM,
(10-19-2010, 03:58 AM)Scud Wrote: Or... your cap lock key is on? :)

Dave, Gents,

Nice try Dave, nice try... Big Grin

It looks exactly the same as with the first file (fixed by Jason with a new password), only... I was NOT using a password on this one! So, yes, maybe there's something else corrupting something, and yes, a reinstall might be required. Let's wait and hear from Jason, he's working on it (again!).

I trust we'll get to the bottom of it soon enough, and I hope the solutions will be of help to others as well.

Cheers!
Kampfpanzer

(Tennyson, 1855)
10-20-2010, 09:30 AM,
Gents,

Much ado about (almost) nothing...

All fixed & back in battle! In brief:

1st problem was a password issue.

2nd problem was a common issue, sending the file without ending the turn. Of course, I might (should) have checked that with my opponent before starting to cry for help...

I'm glad it's over (at least for the time being...), thanks a lot Jason, thank you all for your time.

Best
Kampfpanzer

(Tennyson, 1855)