• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Flashing Sword of Retribution and brandy
09-12-2010, 06:27 AM,
RE: Flashing Sword of Retribution and brandy
The new graphics seem to be working fine, I've just installed them. I am now taking a long time to take my turn, as the game certainly makes you think! Excellent work.
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2010, 09:52 AM,
(09-12-2010, 04:23 AM)Foul. Wrote:
(09-12-2010, 03:55 AM)herr_oberst Wrote: Actually, I renamed some graphics and it is working. Maybe I should have contacted Marquo, but being only a little problem I fixed it myself and sent the files to my rival Ivan. If he confirms that they work I can send them to Marquo so he can verify them.
In any case, I don´t mean to touch his work without his permission, I did it only to better enjoy the game.
Thank you, don't worry i am 100% sure Marquo will thank you for making him aware of this small issue. ;)

Yes - I wanted this to continually improve by players' input. I have not played this for a few years - I got so emotionally drained playing it that I had to take a break - it is very nerve wracking. What distinguishes this campaign from most other PzC CGs is that there are not enought units to establish safe lines across the entire map...your flanks are often exposed as you press on and there is no telling what is going happen. It is like ships floating around in the fog.

Please keep us updated. In the early stages Gallop has begun and Popov has his eye on the Dnepr :rolleyes: ... a fight will start for Slavyansk...Izyum will eventually fall...and then Star will begin. The Axis will withdraw towards Kharkov...Belgorod will fall...and in due time the ss corps will release...and all hell will break loose on the frozen steppes...

He who wields the mightier flashing sword will ultimately have retribution. I am getting psyched...:whis:

Marquo
09-12-2010, 10:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2010, 10:06 AM by herr_oberst.)
It is turn 4 in my battle with Ivan and I already had to think a lot.
The german line seems too fragile and I had to shorten the HKL to avoid the encirclement of my front troops and seek for the provisional shelter of the river.
This campaign promises to be nerve wracking indeed, and Marquo´s comment makes me more nervous...
09-12-2010, 12:35 PM,
(09-12-2010, 10:06 AM)herr_oberst Wrote: It is turn 4 in my battle with Ivan and I already had to think a lot.
The german line seems too fragile and I had to shorten the HKL to avoid the encirclement of my front troops and seek for the provisional shelter of the river.
This campaign promises to be nerve wracking indeed, and Marquo´s comment makes me more nervous...

Run like hell, flee, sacrifice the rear guard - every man you save now lives to fight another day... :eek1: BTW, if you are using the weather file I provided, the large rivers will eventually freeze, so they may save you now, but there are limits.

Both players need to pay strict attention to the protected hexes as reinforcements arrive for both sides in synch with results of the offensive going on to the north and south...avoid being encircled or broken by being too close.

Marquo :smoke:
09-12-2010, 11:46 PM,
Have managed to surround some pockets of resistence already. I can't decide whether to attack south and try and capture Gorlovka given what you said about staying away from the map edges or just keep heading to the west. THe Germans are putting up a brave fight given the overwhelming superiority of the Russians at this stage. Kharkov seems a million miles away though. Lovin it. :)
09-13-2010, 12:01 AM,
(09-12-2010, 11:46 PM)Ivan Wrote: Have managed to surround some pockets of resistence already. I can't decide whether to attack south and try and capture Gorlovka given what you said about staying away from the map edges or just keep heading to the west. THe Germans are putting up a brave fight given the overwhelming superiority of the Russians at this stage. Kharkov seems a million miles away though. Lovin it. :)

Concerning the real campaign those surrounded pockets kept on moving west because the Russians did not allocate enough men to reduce them - the goal was the Dnepr bridge heads Whip. I would love a setting in PzC which always allows one hex movement even into an empty hex in a ZOC so units can infiltrate between enemy units - even if OOS and broken. As it is, any 2 units with a zoc - no matter how small or inconsequential, can pin 1,600 men.

As for where to go...good luck with that one. Yes, Kharkov is far off - hint: look at the VP values of the cities and decide which ones are worth dying for...and remember that the game is 421 turns long. Eek
09-13-2010, 12:20 AM,
Remember Marquo, there is a setting for that, just look at Tobruk, I believe. Just have to set a movement cost for it in the PDT, outside of Tobruk I think all are set to be impossible, but Tobruk allows movement as you would like.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-13-2010, 12:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-13-2010, 12:40 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
(09-13-2010, 12:20 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Remember Marquo, there is a setting for that, just look at Tobruk, I believe. Just have to set a movement cost for it in the PDT, outside of Tobruk I think all are set to be impossible, but Tobruk allows movement as you would like.

Rick

Indeed, if the ZOC Movement Multiplier is set to zero then no movement is possible, but as you can see in T41 it is set to 8 and so allows at least one hex movement between enemy ZOC and further if a unit has a very high movement allowance ....
[Image: fd3d225de9PDT.JPG]

....of course the downside is that this means every unit could take advantage of this not just the ones in the pockets. ;)
09-14-2010, 07:09 AM,
I am continuing my game with (adequately named) Ivan, and suffering my first night at the front.
In this phase of the battle, the soviet tanks infiltrating, the tank panic in the rearguard and the few panzers acting as fire brigades depict brillantly what I have read about the winter war in 1943.
Nevertheless, the historical correctness does not make it less depressing for the german player...
I just can´t wait for the release of the SS Panzer Korps!