• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PzC/MC Planning maps posted at SDC
09-07-2010, 08:01 AM,
RE: PzC/MC Planning maps posted at SDC
(09-07-2010, 06:19 AM)Volcano Man Wrote:
(09-06-2010, 06:51 PM)trauth116 Wrote:
(09-06-2010, 10:54 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: Speaking of planning maps, and not to hijack the thread, but has anyone notice that there are planning maps included in the install of F14? They are all included in the default install, in the START button folder for the game under (appropriately enough) "Planning Maps". :)

Thanks for these planning maps, I love 'em -- very useful! Having done them myself for F14, I know how much work it is to make them. cheers

I only posted the thread since someone here had made a request when I had posted something about the Civil War Battles series' maps a few months back -but in truth, it was actually your maps that inspired me, Ed... although I have to admit that I have never figured out how to get a pdf file as small as either a jpg or a gif -and I am fairly sure some of the maps I have done would have to be of similar (usually smaller I think) than the ones you did for F '14.

Actually, I am sort of torn on whether or not the approach I did with the PDF is "good" or not, or if I should have left them as a large .jpg or .gif art file. The good thing about the PDF is that it is small in size, but when you zoom in it is generally poor quality, although you can still see everything and read the map labels though. I guess that is the trade off between having it as 30+ Mb image or a 5 Mb PDF file. :conf:

I do have all the F14 maps in "better" quality if anyone wants them... hmm, maybe you can put them on SDC site with the others? Send me an email if you want them and I will convert them from .psp to .gif.

I'd love them for the site... email sent. Trade offs are really the thing, aren't they? I had some of my first Civil War ones come back at over 100 mb apiece; which I had to scale down -if for no other reason, than my ISP has bandwidth limits here.

One thing -which I am not sure that I mentioned, is that for MC/PzC -I think eventually I will go with separate pages for each game title. I do really want to show some of the mod work on a full map too. I probably will do the smaller ones to start with (say the ones from Salerno and Market-Garden); as I am sort of juggling projects at the moment as well. So those ones will get an earlier MapMod treatment.

I do want to take a second to thank 'Grumpy Old Man' for sending through some big maps last night.
Bydand
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2010, 08:06 AM,
(09-07-2010, 08:01 AM)trauth116 Wrote: I do want to take a second to thank 'Grumpy Old Man' for sending through some big maps last night.

The only Grumpy old man i know is Hadge (Chris) ! cheers
09-07-2010, 05:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2010, 09:25 AM by -72-.)
(09-07-2010, 08:06 AM)Foul. Wrote:
(09-07-2010, 08:01 AM)trauth116 Wrote: I do want to take a second to thank 'Grumpy Old Man' for sending through some big maps last night.

The only Grumpy old man i know is Hadge (Chris) ! cheers

That would be correct :)

Edited to add: VM's maps are now available on SDC as well.
http://hist-sdc.com/bookshelf/fwwc_planning_maps.html

You know near the top of the list is getting a better functioning main page (but I won't probably get to it until I knock over an unrelated project) -so a few weeks down the track -but I am aware of it. I do hope to get out Hadge's 2 other maps before my COB today if possible.
Bydand
Send this user an email
09-12-2010, 04:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2010, 04:30 AM by Liebchen.)
Thanks for all your excellent work. I especially like the images such as the F '40 map, where the major rivers are really easily distinguishable. I've done that to all of my personal maps, too.

Need to point out, though, that the Minsk map on your page doesn't seem to be an actual link, just an image.
09-13-2010, 08:46 PM,
(09-12-2010, 04:18 AM)Liebchen Wrote: Thanks for all your excellent work. I especially like the images such as the F '40 map, where the major rivers are really easily distinguishable. I've done that to all of my personal maps, too.

Need to point out, though, that the Minsk map on your page doesn't seem to be an actual link, just an image.

Thx for the feedback Liebchen - you were right, I managed to forget the link - fixed that now.

I was using the stock graphics for something else, although in practice I probably use a set of graphics similar to what Hadge's maps show -especially the rivers, and creeks, as well as the road/trail networks. The F40, and M44 maps were both provided by Hadge -so I do owe him a big thank you -for those, as well as for the Danube 85 map.
Bydand
Send this user an email
09-13-2010, 11:36 PM,
This is an excellent work!! Thanks!!