• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A new skill learnt, should PzC go the same way?
09-05-2010, 02:54 AM,
RE: A new skill learnt, should PzC go the same way?
High fatigue and recovery rates in and of themselves should curtail a lot of nocturnal activity, and are a good thing. I can't say that I've played enough or watched the issue closely enough (in Panzer Campaigns) to have an informed opinion as to whether the levels are too low or not.

One thing that I miss from Combat Mission is the relative uncertainty about when a scenario is going to end. Tacking a few two hours turns on to the end of something isn't the same as adding five to ten minutes to a half hour scenario, but the precision that comes from knowing exactly when things will end is annoying. I try to justify it to myself by muttering something about over-all timetables and logistics scheduling. I don't like the way it gets handled in Squad Battles -- too little extra time and too predictable.
History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2010, 04:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2010, 04:30 AM by Lien Leposh.)
I remember a game Operation Crusader
http://www.mobygames.com/game/operation-crusader

Aside from the different types of attack available, the New Zealand Division had a speciality of being more able to attack at night because they had trained for it.
Not sure if that was true IRL but it made the game interesting.
Can anyone remember this? Not sure it brings much to the discussion except that selected units even in WWII were good at it (or turning it on its head, the least worst?) *assuming they did train for night attacks in reality...*
09-05-2010, 04:49 AM,
(09-05-2010, 04:28 AM)Lien Leposh Wrote: I remember a game Operation Crusader

Aside from the different types of attack available, the New Zealand Division had a speciality of being more able to attack at night because they had trained for it.
Can anyone remember this? Not sure it brings much to the discussion except that selected units even in WWII were good at it (or turning it on its head, the least worst?) *assuming they did train for night attacks in reality...*

I think that they already have thougt about the night combat trained units...
09-05-2010, 11:00 AM,
(09-05-2010, 04:28 AM)Lien Leposh Wrote: I remember a game Operation Crusader
Can anyone remember this?...

Yes, I remember this title. It is still on our "classic ladder" here at the blitz. I put in many enjoyable hours with that game and the series. The W@W DOS series by Atomic & AH had a lot of innovative ideas for operational war games. Some worked well, some did not.

As noted by Glenn, the idea of my proposal to HPS was to create a trade off in effectiveness for troops pushed 24/7 in a scenario of PzC. This just was not done in WW2.

In times when an attack might have continued after darkness, sometimes another regiment, division etc. would take over and "pass through" the exhausted organization that had been fighting in that section of the line all day. This usually happened in the dusk or daylight, even dark, but very slowly. Friendly fire could really ruin your night turn. For those fans of the BOB HBO shows, think about the "night of the bayonet" for a microcosm. Night can be a scary time in WW2. Add some light snow, no moon, or some rain, and movement of units with cohesion can be down right stupid or at least desperate to succeed without penalties.

On defense, the defenders would re-organize, somewhat, or bring up reserves. We want these actions to take place, but at a cost in effectiveness for future turns.

You, the player, as overall commander have to make choices, none of which is perfect and cost free. That is the intent of the new rule being tested. Sometimes you will be wildly successful. Other times you will be moaning. And everything in between. Like the real commanders, if you take risks there will be rewards. The rewards may not come though, since a risk by definition means your plans / troops may fail in execution. And if you gamble....

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
09-05-2010, 08:47 PM,
....and the great thing is that you can judge the gamble based on the quality of your troops!

A poorly trained force (D or E quality i would imagine) will almost certainly have to stop for night moves (unless you want that gamble) and i feel that is realistic.