• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A new skill learnt, should PzC go the same way?
09-03-2010, 11:12 PM,
Thumbs_Up  A new skill learnt, should PzC go the same way?
Unlike PzC were you can just about fight 24/7 with only the minor irritation of extra fatigue, F14 has introduced a whole new way of planning your next few moves. Action is now a series of blocks divided up by the need to stop for two turns because of the night disruption rule, it took some time but now i rarely get caught out by the approach of night moving my units to road/rail lines if i want to be able to move them during the night period and planning my attacks to occur before night.

I am now more convinced than ever that PzC titles really do require some greater night turn restrictions, i am not suggesting going as far as the night disruption rule, but maybe a % chance that units might become disrupted if they move off road at night and a % chance that any assault at night will disrupt some or all of the successful attacking units? :chin:
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2010, 11:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2010, 12:01 AM by Outlaw Josey Wales.)
RE: A new skill learnt, should PzC go the same way?
When you think about it, remember all the books you have read, even during ww2, night seemed to cool a lot of jets as far as major combat activities, special forces units being the exception. It's more since then up to present day that, at least the US Army started doing a lot of things at night. I was in 78-82 and 91-95 and we did a lot of things at night the first time and even more the second time around. Around 90% at least the second time, our activities were at night. Of course it was easier for Light Infantry the second time than Mech the first time, especially when it came to noise and light discipline. So, yes, it does make since to have more penalties for night turns for most units. But, if that happens, I think most scenarios will have to be looked at as far as amount of turns if there will be night turns during the scenario. Some will likely have to be longer. If you are getting ridiculous results in some because of the 24/7 attacks, night penalties could make those more realistic and challenging where others may have to have more turns added to achieve the same thing.

My 2 cents.
09-04-2010, 12:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2010, 12:31 AM by bdtj1815.)
From this thread:https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=42379 in Feb 2006
"Night Time is the right time for sleep? Are you kidding??"

One idea I had was that there should be a % chance of disrupting when moving at night not in T-mode on a road, variable on the rating of the unit (A class maybe 5%, E 85% for instance) to represent the better abilities of well trained units. Don't know if it is even possible to do or maybe someone could think of something better or if it is something worth considering.
09-04-2010, 01:00 AM,
(09-03-2010, 11:12 PM)Foul. Wrote: I am now more convinced than ever that PzC titles really do require some greater night turn restrictions, i am not suggesting going as far as the night disruption rule, but maybe a % chance that units might become disrupted if they move off road at night and a % chance that any assault at night will disrupt some or all of the successful attacking units? :chin:

Good thing too - because that is what you are going to see.

It turns out completely independant of the F14 Night Fatigue development, we requested something similar in a PzC Test game (Actually - it was Dog Soldier who came up with it)

What John built for us in PzC was similar to F14 but we didn't like it exactly as we got it and it was not what we had asked for because F14 already had something,

Anyway - to make a long story short - we have something now.

It is NOT 100% like F14,
It is a percentage and the percentage is modifier by QUALITY
And units in T mode or Rail mod moving along a road or a RR are not impacted.

The idea is that it will keep people from pushing their units too hard through the night but not prohibit Night movement

Glenn
Send this user an email
09-04-2010, 01:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2010, 01:05 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Mark,
You make a good point, but i was not suggesting anything too radical, just a % chance but enough to make players in the longer scenarios (where time is often not as pressing) think about resting at night. :chin:

Brian,
Looks like we are thinking along the same lines, taking quality into consideration is a great idea. ;)

*Glenn just beat me to the post button!*

Glenn,
Great news, love the idea (well done Brian), cant wait to see it implemented !

Another excellent change from the PzC development crew. :bow:
09-04-2010, 01:16 AM,
I think this is another great idea implemented by the HPS team. Along with the "Delayed Disruption Reporting" optional rule the realism and challenge of the series just continues to improve.
09-04-2010, 02:47 AM,
Indeed, HPS's track record on this is second to none, how many other PC games are still being improved after 10+ years??

Well done to John, HPS, Glenn, Blackie and all the guys who test for HPS, as long as we keep buying the games i think they will keep producing them! :bow:
09-04-2010, 03:16 AM,
We are still making them - two very interesting titles in the works right now and both well under way - how is that for a way to start a humor.

That said - both games still have a bunch more testing before they are produced and there is roughly a 6 week delay from when I say DONE to when HPS announces a new title.

Glenn
Send this user an email
09-04-2010, 03:25 AM,
(09-04-2010, 03:16 AM)Glenn Saunders Wrote: how is that for a way to start a humor.
Well rumour or humour (UK spelling), either way i am laughing at that news :grin2:
09-04-2010, 04:49 AM,
(09-04-2010, 01:00 AM)Glenn Saunders Wrote:
(09-03-2010, 11:12 PM)Foul. Wrote: I am now more convinced than ever that PzC titles really do require some greater night turn restrictions, i am not suggesting going as far as the night disruption rule, but maybe a % chance that units might become disrupted if they move off road at night and a % chance that any assault at night will disrupt some or all of the successful attacking units? :chin:

Good thing too - because that is what you are going to see.

It turns out completely independant of the F14 Night Fatigue development, we requested something similar in a PzC Test game (Actually - it was Dog Soldier who came up with it)

What John built for us in PzC was similar to F14 but we didn't like it exactly as we got it and it was not what we had asked for because F14 already had something,

Anyway - to make a long story short - we have something now.

It is NOT 100% like F14,
It is a percentage and the percentage is modifier by QUALITY
And units in T mode or Rail mod moving along a road or a RR are not impacted.

The idea is that it will keep people from pushing their units too hard through the night but not prohibit Night movement

Glenn

And is that rule going to be applied to MC titles also? will it be definable in the .pdt file?

I think that the penalty should not be the same in a 1967 scenario than in a 80s one...