• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Plotted Artillery Fire in F'14
08-31-2010, 04:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-31-2010, 04:37 AM by Volcano Man.)
RE: Plotted Artillery Fire in F'14
(08-31-2010, 03:40 AM)tquinn Wrote:
(08-30-2010, 12:26 AM)tquinn Wrote: I notice that in the game I'm currently playing by Email, when I replay my opponent's move, I see my own plotted artillery fire intermittently. I mean . . . some turns I see a replay of it and some turns - I don't. I'm pretty sure the results are ocurring but I would like to see it play out anyway. Anyone else notice the same thing? I'm play the 158-turn HBTLF scenario.

I see all the fire, with a few exceptions. I'm talking about one turn, I see all plotted fire and another turn, I don't see any. There is definitely a bug. Please tell me I'm getting my hits, even when I can't see the fire. Namur is taking a long time to fall.

I need more information. When you say you "don't see any" - does that mean you don't even see or hear the artillery fire execution, as in, it skips it entirely? Or do you hear the artillery fire but see only a white screen while it executes? Or you see the artillery firing but the target unit is off map and and cannot see the effect?
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2010, 05:18 AM,
Ah, good point on the white screen Ed. I had forgotten that can happen on the plotted arty resolution, similar to AI defensive fire at times - when that happens to me in F'14 I just re-open the turn as it usually works the second time around.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-10-2010, 05:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-10-2010, 05:49 AM by The Bishop.)
(08-30-2010, 06:42 PM)The Bishop Wrote:
(08-30-2010, 06:30 PM)Lowlander Wrote:
(08-30-2010, 01:04 PM)Volcano Man Wrote: Yes, try what DS mentioned, that might improve things (good idea). We are looking into the issue though to change it so that the screen positions on the target unit instead of the firing unit since, obviously the target unit is more important so you can see the effect. ;)

When I install a new game I always tick " Scroll to View Enemy Action " futhermore when plotting indirect artillery fire I again always select a target hex which is in LOS in this game more often than not in the frontline.

Have a very heavy schedule this week but will forward the file ASAP.

I've seen this too. But the one thing nobody has mentioned is that my plots remain set on the turns that I don't see the fire. This has only happened to me once over a 3 turn period starting with a night turn and running over the night.

I found my problem! I entitle it "Bishop's lazy arse".

What I thought was my plotted fire not happening was in fact this:

The plotted fire happened.
I play my turn.
Sometimes, I run activate AI firing for a general all out fire at the end of my turn. Not always.
Activating AI firing also sets plotted fire
I got to set plotted fire, see that it's already plotted, draw wrong conclusion.

Basically, I had no idea that activating AI firing would set plotted fire, but it makes sense. So at least my reported issue of it not firing is just me not paying attention. :rolleyes:

That's not to say original reported issue is closed. Just my report of same thing happening to me
09-10-2010, 05:49 AM,
(08-31-2010, 04:37 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: Or you see the artillery firing but the target unit is off map and and cannot see the effect?

I have seen this a number of times. It happens on the longer ranged guns where cursor goes to the guns but the target is not on screen. The guns fire but you don't see the results.
09-10-2010, 06:17 AM,
(09-10-2010, 05:49 AM)Nitram Draw Wrote: I have seen this a number of times. It happens on the longer ranged guns where cursor goes to the guns but the target is not on screen. The guns fire but you don't see the results.
At least one file showing this exact issue has been sent to VM, so i would hope that JT would be able to provide a fix in a future patch, HPS's track record on fixing issues is second to none...:)
09-10-2010, 06:19 AM,
(09-10-2010, 06:17 AM)Foul. Wrote:
(09-10-2010, 05:49 AM)Nitram Draw Wrote: I have seen this a number of times. It happens on the longer ranged guns where cursor goes to the guns but the target is not on screen. The guns fire but you don't see the results.
At least one file showing this exact issue has been sent to VM, so i would hope that JT would be able to provide a fix in a future patch, HPS's track record on fixing issues is second to none...:)

You mean they can fix my small monitor? :)
09-10-2010, 08:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-10-2010, 08:45 AM by Volcano Man.)
An update:

So far we are still gathering information. For some there actually isn't a problem per se, it is instead user error (this is to be expected in the first game of the series as everyone gets to know it better, where the plotted fire resolution may not yet be completely understood by everyone). No worries about that, but it takes time to piece together the issues.

So far however, the guns firing at units off map has been noted and hopefully we will fix that by having the screen center on the target unit in the future. This is a minor problem since it doesn't happen a lot, but still it is something that need to be (and will be) addressed. Thanks for all the feedback. :)
Send this user an email