• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

SB tips needed
06-11-2010, 05:09 AM,
RE: SB tips needed
(06-11-2010, 04:21 AM)Nikb Wrote: Excellent post Riley.

I didn't realise you could change your grenade launcher ammo. It is an aspect that I really like about playing this scale. You get to choose which squad weapon to fire and even which type of ammo to use. The combination of which can win or lose you games.

On the face of it the game is simple to play. But the depth in the game is significant - which is what appeals to me.

There was a post a couple of months ago from a bloke who was struggling to win games initially. I was thinking about this the other day when for the first time ever I managed to just push my way past the 50% win mark - that milestone took over one hundred and forty games reach. Phew.

Obviously I was rubbish at the start but have slowly progressed. This has been through game play (for cricket lovers this equates to time at the crease), watching the play of my opponents, getting tips/help from other players, reading articles on sites like TF4, playing the AI, and getting little gems from forum posts (like the grenade launcher tip above).

Good fun.

I can attest that Nik is a pretty good player, in all the beatings I've gotten over the past few years.

The grenade launcher is a huge, huge weapon at close range. The cannister (CAN) rounds are devastating, much like using a big shotgun. There are a few weapons that use the CAN rounds, one I'm using right now, the AK-74/GP25 to try to keep Mike Cox's mujaheddin from overrunning my positions on SAW's The Sharp End #2 ...
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2010, 11:36 AM,
My main point of reference is from Viet Nam and ToD. The M79 I believe. It is exactly what you said it was at close range w/cannister: a really nasty, big, deadly shotgun. 20-40 meters it would literally vaporize a man. Although probably not as bad as a well placed claymore or two.

Which brings up another point...make sure you know how to use "alternate" weaps like claymores, satchel charges, molotovs, mines, etc. Some require you be adjacent to detonate. Some won't clear wire but some will, etc. Use smoke wisely and remember not to deploy it too early. A well layed in barrage can often get you "to that treeline"...again...one or two hexes matters in this game.
06-11-2010, 04:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2010, 04:16 PM by jomni.)
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate how this thread is evolving.

My problem lately calling-in accurate fire support.

When support is available for targetting, do I need line of sight? (I suspect it helps)
Who's the spotting unit? Is it the one who made the call? (Sounds obvious)
How do I remember who made the call? (I don't see it in the game)
Send this user an email
06-11-2010, 06:34 PM,
(06-11-2010, 04:14 PM)jomni Wrote: Thanks for the replies. I appreciate how this thread is evolving.

My problem lately calling-in accurate fire support.

When support is available for targetting, do I need line of sight? (I suspect it helps)
Who's the spotting unit? Is it the one who made the call? (Sounds obvious)
How do I remember who made the call? (I don't see it in the game)

LOS with target helps. Spotter's (leader) quality too. A high quality setup spotter with LOS is the best.
It doesnt matter who made the call. You can select any spotter when the rounds are available.
Try to over shoot the target to avoid friendly casualties if the enemy is near. I mean overshoot with 2-3 hexes.
06-11-2010, 06:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2010, 06:42 PM by jomni.)
Thanks. Let me get this right...

So when the arty is available for targetting:
1. I select a spotter that has the target in view.
2. Select ammo type
3. Select target hex.

So the spotter should be any leader with access to a radio right? Just like the caller.
Send this user an email
06-11-2010, 09:47 PM,
(06-11-2010, 06:40 PM)jomni Wrote: Thanks. Let me get this right...

2. Select ammo type
3. Select target hex.

So the spotter should be any leader with access to a radio right? Just like the caller.

That is right.
06-11-2010, 11:04 PM,
(06-11-2010, 06:40 PM)jomni Wrote: Thanks. Let me get this right...

2. Select ammo type
3. Select target hex.

I'd also keep in mind, especially on the larger rounds, that the shells can be lethal to more than just the hex they 'hit'.

The earlier conversation about 'danger close' really comes in play here. I will typically only call off-board rounds at positions well away from my men. 10-15+ hexes. Anything closer than that, you are gambling with hitting your own guys.
06-12-2010, 03:44 AM,
IMHO the two most critical features of the game that must be utlized for effect:

1. Weapons effectiveness
2. Weapon type

Weapon effectiveness: put your weapons on hold until you are within a good range to inflict maximum damage. How to determine a good range depends on various factors such as terrain, LOS, enemy composition, leadership and your objectives. (etc) You don't want the AI firing your weapons willy-nilly at anything that moves. Not only does it give away your position, but it reduces weapon effectiveness which can hurt you when it is crucial to inflict damage.

Weapon type: already discussed in thread. Best to make sure you use your weapons in a manner they were designed for. You don't want to be shooting your bazookas at enemy troops only to find an AFV advancing on your position. Now the effectiveness of your bazooka has been lessened doing the job your LMG and rifles can do.

In the end though, the most important thing is to be flexible. Be quick and ready to adapt to the circumstances.
06-12-2010, 04:13 AM,
(06-12-2010, 03:44 AM)kolc Wrote: In the end though, the most important thing is to be flexible. Be quick and ready to adapt to the circumstances.

Roger that. The best laid plans go out the door the second the bullets start to fly.