• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MapMod for First World War Campaigns
06-01-2010, 04:57 PM,
RE: MapMod for First World War Campaigns
Fantastic work. I can't wait to play France 14.
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2010, 10:43 PM,
(06-01-2010, 04:57 PM)Ivan Wrote: Fantastic work. I can't wait to play France 14.
It is available for pre-order, so if you are desperate get your order in now and get at the front of the queue! Big Grin
06-02-2010, 12:36 AM,
And FYI, there were a number of games of it played at TC III - Al and I played 3 and the designer VM-Ed and I played one.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
06-02-2010, 01:14 AM,
(06-01-2010, 02:39 AM)Sch Wrote: Looks really good.

As an owner of a dozen HPS games I always wonder how come that they can produce excellent war games but they are unable to find a proper graphics designer.

As for the Panzer Campaigns series, these games without Volcano's art are outright ugly. I dont know the other titles, but iam sure they posses the same visual quality (or the lack of it)

The "turn based war game -> no grapichs, but great historical depth" statement may have been acceptable in the mid 80s but cmon ppl it is 2010 now.

I truly respect all the effort of HPS but I would really like to see better looking games from them. Especially that I pay 50 bucks for each title....
For this money I could buy any newly released game.

Dont misunderstand me, Iam a fanatical wargamer, love history and have nearly all the pzc titles, but at the dawn of the 21st century I would expect more, even from such games.

I would like to second that.
06-02-2010, 01:48 AM,
(06-02-2010, 01:14 AM)Deturk Wrote:

As an owner of a dozen HPS games I always wonder how come that they can produce excellent war games but they are unable to find a proper graphics designer.

As for the Panzer Campaigns series, these games without Volcano's art are outright ugly. I dont know the other titles, but iam sure they posses the same visual quality (or the lack of it)

The "turn based war game -> no grapichs, but great historical depth" statement may have been acceptable in the mid 80s but cmon ppl it is 2010 now.

I truly respect all the effort of HPS but I would really like to see better looking games from them. Especially that I pay 50 bucks for each title....

Dont misunderstand me, Iam a fanatical wargamer, love history and have nearly all the pzc titles, but at the dawn of the 21st century I would expect more, even from such games.

I don't. I prefer some standard "ugly" graphics but having the option to replace them with any graphic mod out there. For example i prefer the volcanoman artwork over the mapmod guy, i prefer the BOOTB map graphic over standard and mapmod one... I prefer to choose the graphics that i want for these games...
06-02-2010, 02:32 AM,
(06-02-2010, 01:48 AM)P.Ako Wrote:
(06-02-2010, 01:14 AM)Deturk Wrote:

I don't. I prefer some standard "ugly" graphics but having the option to replace them with any graphic mod out there. For example i prefer the volcanoman artwork over the mapmod guy, i prefer the BOOTB map graphic over standard and mapmod one... I prefer to choose the graphics that i want for these games...

I think these guys are talking about the look of the original games here, I don't think they are talking mods at all, or that some prefer mod A over mod B.
There will always be different mods for you to choose from - no matter how ugly, or beautiful, the original game is or becomes.

Jison
Send this user an email
06-02-2010, 03:12 AM,
Indeed you can "pick n mix" your graphics from different sources or just stick with the default ones.

No matter what you choose let us all be grateful to VM, Jison and others for their time and effort offering the community choice and making their work available free of charge! :soap:

Thanks guys, you are great..........:bow:
06-02-2010, 03:36 AM,
I will second what Foul says. If you do not like the original graphics or any of the mods for graphics, make your own and share them here with the community.

I would much rather the HPS guys spend their time on all the excellent research they do for these games.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
06-02-2010, 04:28 AM,
I got my order in with Duchet as soon as I saw your review on the forum. ;)I've also ordered 1914 by Lyn MacDonald which is supposed to be good. The cavalry charges look like they are going to be fun.

(06-01-2010, 10:43 PM)Foul. Wrote:
(06-01-2010, 04:57 PM)Ivan Wrote: Fantastic work. I can't wait to play France 14.
It is available for pre-order, so if you are desperate get your order in now and get at the front of the queue! Big Grin
06-02-2010, 06:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2010, 06:22 AM by Sch.)
(06-02-2010, 03:36 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: I will second what Foul says. If you do not like the original graphics or any of the mods for graphics, make your own and share them here with the community.

I would much rather the HPS guys spend their time on all the excellent research they do for these games.

Dog Soldier
This is the kind of attitude why these games are only available for only a very limited audience.

And this is the kind of attitude why these games -if they remain unable to evolve- will eventually extinct.

When the "oldschool wargamers" are gone noone will play with such programs anymore.
And why would they? Nowadays one can run the latest games in 1920x1080 with astonishing visuals. Why would anyone without the tabletop war games backround pay full price for such an obsolote looking software?

It must be because of my age (iam 22), but i simply cannot understand what keeps from HPS from hiring 3 or so capable men to create the modern visuals their otherwise excellent games deserve.

The start of a new series (the ww1 campaigns) would have been a good opportunity to release a product with a new look.
But naaah, lets just keep the engine we used in the past 20 years.
Why change?