• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MapMod for First World War Campaigns
05-29-2010, 03:03 AM,
MapMod for First World War Campaigns
A little something for all soon-to-be France '14 owners:
http://www.hist-sdc.com/MapMod/index.htm

( You may, or may not, have to click 'refresh' in your browser to see whats new. )

Jison
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2010, 03:07 AM,
RE: MapMod for First World War Campaigns
Fantastic! Thanks!
05-29-2010, 03:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-29-2010, 07:46 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Looks fantastic, here is a taste of what is on offer.....
[Image: 1d555625b4Unit%20Cards.JPG]

[Image: a9a27e0d62Counters.JPG]
05-29-2010, 08:08 AM,
(05-29-2010, 03:15 AM)Foul. Wrote: Looks fantastic, here is a taste of what is on offer.....
[Image: 1d555625b4Unit%20Cards.JPG]

[Image: a9a27e0d62Counters.JPG]

Ausgezeichnet (as always). :)

Also when I got the first screenshots - congrats Jison - well deserved addition to the art stable. I know how hard you word on stuff.

Steve
Bydand
Send this user an email
05-29-2010, 08:18 AM,
Awsome stuff!!!cheers
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
05-29-2010, 06:42 PM,
Thanks guys, your kindness is heartwarming. :)

This game is a true gem, designed by a true master. So many things done right. cheers

Steve, if you need any extra fingers crossed for blackhawks you can borrow some of mine! ;)

Jison
Send this user an email
05-31-2010, 09:41 PM,
(05-29-2010, 06:42 PM)Jison Wrote: Thanks guys, your kindness is heartwarming. :)

This game is a true gem, designed by a true master. So many things done right. cheers

Steve, if you need any extra fingers crossed for blackhawks you can borrow some of mine! ;)

Jison

There was one thing that I was wondering, Jison, that in looking at the screenshots for the game itself that it looks like your graphics are being used in 2d zoom out. Now while I read your site, and it is true that it looked like they went with an earlier style of hexgrid that you'd done ... does this mean that there is a 2d zoom out hexgrid in your style, along with maybe some other 2d zoom out level features? And if yes, do you have any thoughts to maybe adding a 2d zoom out level for your other mods?

If not-- it looks like there is enough material to work with; I know Modern Campaigns wasn't entirely something you'd said you were interested in.

As for the other thing ... it is bad luck for me to talk about hockey on the boards ... not that I, as a retired really low level hockey player was ever superstitious or anything ... I've said too much already. :eek1:
Bydand
Send this user an email
06-01-2010, 12:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2010, 12:47 AM by Jison.)
(05-31-2010, 09:41 PM)trauth116 Wrote: There was one thing that I was wondering, Jison, that in looking at the screenshots for the game itself that it looks like your graphics are being used in 2d zoom out. Now while I read your site, and it is true that it looked like they went with an earlier style of hexgrid that you'd done ... does this mean that there is a 2d zoom out hexgrid in your style, along with maybe some other 2d zoom out level features? And if yes, do you have any thoughts to maybe adding a 2d zoom out level for your other mods?

If not-- it looks like there is enough material to work with; I know Modern Campaigns wasn't entirely something you'd said you were interested in.

As for the other thing ... it is bad luck for me to talk about hockey on the boards ... not that I, as a retired really low level hockey player was ever superstitious or anything ... I've said too much already. :eek1:

Yes, the map in the game are largely based on an early version of MapMod, but it has also been further modified by HPS in different ways. As far as I can judge, the '2D Zoom Out' is pretty much a carbon copy of the '2D Zoom In' level resized to 50% - with some minor differences. There is less room for details in the zoom out level so it is a bit more bare out of necessity. ( No visible objective flags or scores for example. ) The hexgrid is of the same type as in all other HPS games - the one you can turn on or off via the menu. So no, it does not have MapMod's grid style.

Yeah, I have lots of ideas for a potential 2D Zoom Out level for MapMod, but I have never gotten around to actually start fiddling with it. I would, for example, love to make the counters a bit more informative in the zoom out level - as it is today it is impossible to see, at a glance, what side a unit belongs to if you have divisional colors turned on. The question is if it would be worth the trouble - do people really use this level?

You are right, Steve - Modern Campaigns and I don't really 'click'... I need that historical atmosphere in a wargame. For me a wargame is an extension, a continuation, of the books I read. Hard to explain so it makes any sence... :)

Hockey? Who's talking hockey? I am talking birds... ;)

Jison
Reading your post once more, Steve, and realizing I maybe missunderstod your question. If you are asking if there is a zoom out level included in MapMod for France '14 - then the answer is no.

Sorry for being a bit... well... me... Big Grin

Jison
Send this user an email
06-01-2010, 02:39 AM,
Looks really good.

As an owner of a dozen HPS games I always wonder how come that they can produce excellent war games but they are unable to find a proper graphics designer.

As for the Panzer Campaigns series, these games without Volcano's art are outright ugly. I dont know the other titles, but iam sure they posses the same visual quality (or the lack of it)

The "turn based war game -> no grapichs, but great historical depth" statement may have been acceptable in the mid 80s but cmon ppl it is 2010 now.

I truly respect all the effort of HPS but I would really like to see better looking games from them. Especially that I pay 50 bucks for each title....
For this money I could buy any newly released game.

Dont misunderstand me, Iam a fanatical wargamer, love history and have nearly all the pzc titles, but at the dawn of the 21st century I would expect more, even from such games.
06-01-2010, 04:31 AM,
I love these games.

Maseda.