• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Saved game
05-15-2010, 09:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-15-2010, 09:59 PM by Kool Kat.)
RE: Saved game
(05-15-2010, 05:07 PM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: The problem is the belief...paranoia perhaps.... amongst some members that saving=cheating.

IMO, the "problem" is that we have a "Turn Save" counter that tells us "nothing"...

(05-15-2010, 05:07 PM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: If the club wishes to persist with this topic...which I have long believed is poisoning club relationships...the parameter of value is "turn starts". That might really indicate something.

... and a purposed "Turn Starts" counter that "might" indicate something, but would have to be "interpreted" by ladder commanders and the involved players... leading to possible false accusations.

The real question we need to ask ourselves...

Do we as a gaming community need either a "Turn Save" counter or proposed "Turn Starts" counter? And why? :chin:

I agree with Rod that the "paranoia" created by just having a "Turn Save" counter is bad enough. My vote is to have this counter eliminated in the CS 1.05 update.

If we don't approach these games with mutual trust, integrity, and honesty among players... then why bother to play them? Where is the fun "factor" if you are constantly worrying about the number of "Turn Saves" you make or that your opponent makes?
(05-15-2010, 04:28 PM)Cpl K. Kat Wrote: I am a compulsive saver due to numerous bad experiences in all things computer.

That's a minimum of 3-5 saves right there staring at the face for any of my opponent when they open the file I've played. :conf:

IMO, it really is nobody's business (opponents, other folks, etc.) why a player saves a turn multiple times... and it is disheartening that we feel compelled to "explain and justify" our saves either to our opponents or in Blitz forum threads.

Again, having a "Turn Save" counter creates an environment that fosters such negativity.

Let's get rid of the "Turn Save" counter... and get back to our game play!
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2010, 11:46 PM,
What *may* help is at the start of the battle you tell your opponent you *may* be saving frequently.

To me this is courtesy and NOT a rule revision.
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
05-16-2010, 12:23 AM,
(05-15-2010, 11:46 PM)Antoni Chmielowski (FGM) Wrote: What *may* help is at the start of the battle you tell your opponent you *may* be saving frequently.

To me this is courtesy and NOT a rule revision.

As in: "I am doing something out of order here". That's the problem I've got with the counter. In other words, I will need to prove my innosence.

I do not wish for a rule revision as such, but should the save counter disappear I would not mind. Just my 0.02
Visit us at CSLegion.com
05-16-2010, 01:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2010, 08:15 AM by Scud.)
In all the turn saver discussions, I don't remember anyone being suspicious that their opponent was cheating after having seen the "saves exceeds 2" alert. The discussions always seem to start with "what does it mean?"

Just out of curiousity, does anyone here automatically become suspicious when they see this? I don't.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
05-16-2010, 02:59 AM,
I dont,

I just enjoy playing (and losing by my record !)
Antoni ChmielowskigGames Played : WiTP-AE, TOAW3,Gary Grigsbys War in The East/ War In The West
05-16-2010, 10:21 AM,
I almost always cycle through any "saved game" with no concern and proceed with the game.

However, the "saved" notification has and does cause me some some concern.

If I "save" more than twice in a small scenario, I feel compelled to explain the reason to my opponent.

I had one the other day where I had "saved" after Op fire because I knew I had something to do, but wanted to see the turn.

I get back to gaming and the wife has an emergency (I believe this one was getting her some hair dye), so I saved again.

Back to gaming and my daughter calls: Dropped her cell phone and it no longer works properly. Could I call Verizon and have her service changed to a different phone that she had (account is in my name only).

Now, I'm looking at three saves in a medium size scenario.

Try once again when son and granddaughter stop by. Granddaughter wants "Papa" to take her to the local park and push her in the swing :-)

Try once again at 9pm and get a call from an old friend that is planning a HS reunion and wants my help. He's been drinking (me too) and we talk for over an hour. I save once again and give up on the game until the next day.

Now I have 5 "saves" in a scenario that should maybe take me 15 minutes to complete :-(

I felt obligated to explain the reason for my "saves" to my opponent.

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

05-16-2010, 04:47 PM,
From where I sit Pat, I see NO reason why you should feel so obligated. I am saving this post....urgently!!

I'm back. Had to go away and take a cr*p. Now I very much doubt if there are more than a couple of Blitzers who really want that knowledge. Certainly noone NEEDS it.

I say...drop the save counter.
05-16-2010, 05:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2010, 05:42 PM by Crossroads.)
(05-16-2010, 04:47 PM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: Had to go away and take a cr*p.

Did you save the turn before you left? :smoke:
Visit us at CSLegion.com
05-19-2010, 11:33 AM,
I stopped and saved a turtle in the road today.
05-19-2010, 03:03 PM,
(05-19-2010, 11:33 AM)Big Dawg Wrote: I stopped and saved a turtle in the road today.

How many times though?
Big Grin