• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Saved game
05-15-2010, 08:06 AM,
Saved game
The 1.04 update provided us with a "save" count when it came to how many times your opponent "saved" the game before sending a final move.

We all know why this addition was created, but does it really address the issue :chin:

What it doesn't do is prevent a person from reloading the scenario as many times as they like until they are satisified with the result.

I experimented with the "reload" with a friend of mine. We didn't actually play a game, so I feel I am safe from sanctions via Blitz rules. Let's call it an off-Blitz contest with no results other than information.

I discovered that even the first round (Op fire and aircraft) might generate a different result given a number of attempts.

I found that one could obtain some recon information by sending units out to various locations and then simply reload the scenario and my opponent would have no idea I had done so. A sort of free look without potential penalty Fiery

Once you have overwritten your opponents file, you start from square one. Until or unless it is possible to determine how many times I've overwritten a file my opponent has sent me, then the "save" count means nothing!

If one is required in someway to go through the Blitz site before making a move, then I can see some value to "saves" otherwise I just trust my opponents, play the game and hope for the best result ;)

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2010, 08:25 AM,
RE: Saved game
Amen!

cheers

HSL
05-15-2010, 08:29 AM,
Pat is correct. The Save count is meaningless.
If the club wishes to persist with this topic...which I have long believed is poisoning club relationships...the parameter of value is "turn starts". That might really indicate something. I'm a compulsive saver...so should be anyone who has lost a two Army Corps level turn after it is about 85% complete after hours of work!!. What does a save count tell us...apart from how many times the turn is saved?
05-15-2010, 08:41 AM,
Quite frankly, this game is far too easy to cheat in if one has the mind set about doing it.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
05-15-2010, 09:36 AM,
Thank you Jason,

If you need to cheat to beat my pathetic ass, then I'll bend over for you (in a metaphoric manner) Whip

My 4 year experience has been that my opponents go out of their way to provide a fair and enjoyable experience :)

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

05-15-2010, 10:33 AM,
Gents:

In the 4 years since I have been a Blitz member... I've only had one "unfortunate" brush with a suspected cheating instance. IMO, not a bad track record.

I believe the Blitz attracts a higher caliber player so most folks don't have to worry about "Game Saves" or "Game Reloads." :smoke:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
05-15-2010, 04:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-15-2010, 04:31 PM by Crossroads.)
I am a compulsive saver due to numerous bad experiences in all things computer.

With JTCS I consciously try to avoid saving for the reason they are counted as to flag cheating.

A loss-loss situation, being afraid that the PC is about to do a trick on me again (perfectly aware that it quite seldomly actually does that), and having a guilty conscience for any saves I've made.

In a small-to-mediums size scenario I ('d like to, and often do if I believe I am with someone who knows me) save at least three times,
- first after having watched replay and my arty phase (so that I have a starting point should it crash),
- second time some half way through the scenario (and if it's a big scenario, one-two times more),
- and finally before the Next Turn button to have a file to put a side so that I am able to have a peek at my forces while the turn is played at my opponent.

That's a minimum of 3-5 saves right there staring at the face for any of my opponent when they open the file I've played. :conf:
Visit us at CSLegion.com
05-15-2010, 05:07 PM,
(05-15-2010, 04:28 PM)Cpl K. Kat Wrote: I am a compulsive saver due to numerous bad experiences in all things computer.

With JTCS I consciously try to avoid saving for the reason they are counted as to flag cheating.

A loss-loss situation, being afraid that the PC is about to do a trick on me again (perfectly aware that it quite seldomly actually does that), and having a guilty conscience for any saves I've made.

In a small-to-mediums size scenario I ('d like to, and often do if I believe I am with someone who knows me) save at least three times,
- first after having watched replay and my arty phase (so that I have a starting point should it crash),
- second time some half way through the scenario (and if it's a big scenario, one-two times more),
- and finally before the Next Turn button to have a file to put a side so that I am able to have a peek at my forces while the turn is played at my opponent.

That's a minimum of 3-5 saves right there staring at the face for any of my opponent when they open the file I've played. :conf:

Fair enough Corp...I for one have no problem with that. I might save 50 times in a big scen...that's my business. The problem is the belief...paranoia perhaps.... amongst some members that saving=cheating.
05-15-2010, 05:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-15-2010, 05:47 PM by Crossroads.)
(05-15-2010, 05:07 PM)K K Rossokolski Wrote: The problem is the belief...paranoia perhaps.... amongst some members that saving=cheating.

Thanks, Old Sailor :) That's the point right there. And in my case also my paranoia of believing people are paranoid on this save counter? :pullhair:.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
05-15-2010, 09:40 PM,
It all comes down to honor and trust? :chin:

In my eight years of play I can count on one hand the amount of "cheaters" I have come across (and have finger or two left).
When I was Ladder Commander I received a few complaints about cheating and only had a couple be "real". Most were from inexperienced players who were being overwhelmed by veteran players. Others were from veteran players who wanted to know why an inexperienced player (or one of lesser status) could play so well.
Kinda like a minnow not knowing what a shark was or a shark being bitten by the minnow? :smoke: Whip
It happens? Shark2:smg:

As Jason says, the game is easy to find ways in which to cheat. A player of honor would not cheat? Let's all not get consumed by it?

In the end the cheaters find they have less and less opponents. They often stop playing and "self-weed" our "garden".

Remember, though, cheating is serious, in that it can break down the morale of the members. If you suspect cheating report it to the Ladder Commanders. They can look into it, and do so privately.

Peace out!

cheers

HSL