• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Features you'd like to see with SB
06-06-2010, 10:03 AM,
RE: Features you'd like to see with SB
(06-06-2010, 09:56 AM)bwv Wrote: how about pre-registered mortars and artillery and bonuses for dug-in machine guns that do not move to reflect aiming stakes and other preparation

(unless I am missing something and they are already there)

I would really like something like that. Artillery is pretty flexible, but that is one thing I like in CM that SB doesn't have.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2010, 12:54 AM,
(06-06-2010, 09:56 AM)bwv Wrote: how about pre-registered mortars and artillery and bonuses for dug-in machine guns that do not move to reflect aiming stakes and other preparation

The pre-registered thing is interesting, but probably only has relevance in more modern conflicts. Vietnam forward, most likely.

The engine now has the feature to 'setup' a HMG and the like, which makes it more effective. Same with the 'hull down' feature for armor. Newer games that have been developed do utilize this feature frequently, but older scenarios, obviously, won't.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-07-2010, 04:49 AM,
They would pre-register artillery even in WW1 I think, once they had the tools to do accurate surveys of the area. The option to have different levels of accuracy for artillery would be interesting, since even in WW2, a skilled (and lucky) FOO would be putting it within yards of his own position.

06-07-2010, 05:02 AM,
I think this idea of pre-registered artillery might make a lot of sense in some Winter War sceanrios on the Karelian Isthmus where the fins had a fortified line.

Also it played a role in the Spanish Civil War in many of the set piece battles of that conflict.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
06-07-2010, 05:54 AM,
Pre-registered artillery is already there. You can assign rolling barrages during scenario making. Designer just has to narrow the impact area. Red Victory has lots of pre-registered artillery strikes.
06-07-2010, 06:55 AM,
I would like to see multiple floor buildings and a variable sighting because even if troops are in a open field they sometimes are not seen maybe fix this to the morale level of the spotting troop or if the are disrupted or pinned
06-07-2010, 02:38 PM,

In addition to the rolling barrage, you can also use a 'set up' radio, with a quality spotter. If there is support with a short delay time, you can reflect pre registered fire zones.
06-08-2010, 04:56 AM,
(06-07-2010, 04:49 AM)Mad_Dog Wrote: They would pre-register artillery even in WW1 I think, once they had the tools to do accurate surveys of the area. The option to have different levels of accuracy for artillery would be interesting, since even in WW2, a skilled (and lucky) FOO would be putting it within yards of his own position.

I'd say that was definitely more luck than skill!

Danger close, the cutoff to where an FOs typically would be willing to drop arty or naval gunfire, is ~500-600m, which in SB terms is 12-15 hexes. If you're dropping arty and you're closer than that, all bets are off. If you're about to be over-run, sure you can risk it, but if you're on the offensive, especially in WWII, you aren't going to want to call things in much closer than that before you begin your assault, unless you're in the Red Army and don't care about losses....

It all boils down to LOS and communication. If you've got eyes-on a target, you'll have a greater shot at putting a round where you want to. Having a setup like Mike mentioned is truly optimal and should give the best results. Given the advances in communication, targeting, weapon and GPS technology, one would expect that as the battlefield gets more and more modern, the more the results should improve. Even still, few guys are going to call for a strike that's 100m from their position unless they are in imminent danger of being over-run. Chances are good that you'll either take some shrapnel, or be seriously injured by the shock wave produced by the bigger bombs and shells.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-08-2010, 10:26 AM,
I've read about them dropping it pretty close in WW2, and accurately as well. There is an article here at the Blitz which describes a Canadian action during the Battle for the Scheldt, where it was very close. ( https://www.theblitz.club/articles/WW-II...show&id=78 ) Another action in this battle, the Canadians were dug in, under a German counter attack, so the Canadian FOO dropped it right on his own position and broke up the counterattack. Or Audie Murphy winning the Medal of Honor, the Germans were within 200 yards in the account I've read. Danger close didn't really have the same meaning in WW2 though... ;)

It would be nice to have the huge amount of artillery historically available in WW2 in SB as well, since it was the one area where Allied weapons were superior to the Germans.

06-09-2010, 01:48 AM,
I think the above actions were the exceptions that prove the rule though.

In general, the artillery bombardment would precede the attack and is better reflected by the scenario designer reducing the effectiveness/numbers of the defenders.

Alternatively, you could start with 6 turns where the attacker is fixed while artillery was called in to do the work. Not sure how much fun that would be though.

In DBP there is a scenario 'More Ban For Your Buck' covering the advance of Bruno's paras behind a rolling barrage. However, that was an unusual circumstance, especially in that war. I think even Windrow notes that it was more WW1 than Indochina. Personally, I am a fast player and I get impatient during bombardments of any stripe. Big ones bore me to tears.