• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Features you'd like to see with SB
04-18-2010, 11:58 PM,
Features you'd like to see with SB
There's been a good thread over on the wargamer about assaulting from multiple positions simultaneously. Clearly it's a restriction to the game, but one that I feel doesn't hamper the game play to any major effect. (see my post on that thread for my exact thoughts...)

This got me to thinking: What types of features would you, the player, like to see built into the SB game engine at some point in the future?

Let's keep in mind that major, major overhauls to this game engine probably won't happen. As HPS has done continuously, they've added features they have felt enhances the game-play incrementally over time. I feel they've done well in this regard, and have retroactively updated every game in their collection to boot, for free, something that I don't know if all players truly appreciate at times. These aren't patches, they are upgrades to the actual game engine.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2010, 01:18 AM,
RE: Features you'd like to see with SB
Be more like Squad Leader. Scale the towns better, be able to go up or downstairs etc etc.
04-19-2010, 04:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2010, 04:24 AM by Mad_Dog.)
Everything I would like I've been told will never be done. ;) What can you do?:smoke:

Something that's already in line with John Tillers other games would be a better campaign game. I've never played the ACW games, but I've been told it's much more dynamic, losses carry over from each battle, and other fun stuff. I would love to have that with SB.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

04-19-2010, 02:47 PM,
Wargamer discussion about multiple assault positions would actually be my main feature request
244 games with legend that is Richie61
04-19-2010, 07:21 PM,
I've always been quite keen to have points awarded for the immobilsation of enemy tanks - though only for battle damage.
04-20-2010, 04:45 AM,
As a novice to the SB games, but a grognard to the old ASL boardgames, I find the way weapons are handled to be.... well difficult to understand. Specifically, the idea that you have to drop all your gear for all units in a hex before you can pickup that one support weapon you really need. Disarming the units in the hex usually draws enemy fire as does picking up your gear again. I have tried many time to designate one unit to pick up the weapon, but in a stack this seems impossible.

I do not mind the penalty in MP for units to pick up gear dropped by their squad or another squad. This seems real enough. Just weird that everyone has to disarm to do it, even when there are sufficient portage points to pick up the support weapon in question on at least one unit in a stack or by itself.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
04-20-2010, 09:02 AM,
(04-20-2010, 04:45 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: As a novice to the SB games, but a grognard to the old ASL boardgames, I find the way weapons are handled to be.... well difficult to understand. Specifically, the idea that you have to drop all your gear for all units in a hex before you can pickup that one support weapon you really need. Disarming the units in the hex usually draws enemy fire as does picking up your gear again. I have tried many time to designate one unit to pick up the weapon, but in a stack this seems impossible.

I do not mind the penalty in MP for units to pick up gear dropped by their squad or another squad. This seems real enough. Just weird that everyone has to disarm to do it, even when there are sufficient portage points to pick up the support weapon in question on at least one unit in a stack or by itself.

Dog Soldier

Yeah, this is quite vexing.
04-20-2010, 05:38 PM,
(04-20-2010, 04:45 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: As a novice to the SB games, but a grognard to the old ASL boardgames, I find the way weapons are handled to be.... well difficult to understand. Specifically, the idea that you have to drop all your gear for all units in a hex before you can pickup that one support weapon you really need. Disarming the units in the hex usually draws enemy fire as does picking up your gear again. I have tried many time to designate one unit to pick up the weapon, but in a stack this seems impossible.

Dog Soldier

Good point. I had forgotten about this.

This occurs quite often - wanting to be able to drop just one weapon. The odd time I have dropped the whole lot and been left with nothing after running out of points.
04-20-2010, 09:18 PM,
I used to drop all of mine regularly, without wanting too, (very frustrating, especially since the drop button is right beside the ground mode button), but you can turn on an option in the Settings menu, Ask Before Dropping/Unloading, which gives you a prompt. It's saved me some turns since I turned it on. Not necessarily on topic, but hopefully it'll help someone out... ;)

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

04-21-2010, 02:02 AM,
I definitely use the 'confirm drop/unload' setting.

You can select individual types of weapons to drop.

Example: You have 10 men in a squad. They have 2xMAT 49, 1xBAR, 7xMAS-49. You want to pick up a M-60 Mortar (requiring 2 PP).

You can select the MAT-49's only. (Select the hex, DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK, click on the MAT 49 in the info area. It will be highlighted.) Now drop it. You can now pick up the M-60. You could also drop all the MAS49's and then pick the Mortar and the MAS49s (well 5) back up. You could drop the MAT49 and the BAR and then pick up the MAT49 (1), Mortar and the BAR.

Give it a try and let me know if it works.