• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Features you'd like to see with SB
05-06-2010, 10:44 PM,
RE: Features you'd like to see with SB
(05-06-2010, 04:45 AM)rahamy Wrote: R&R is in all titles now, after the last round of updates - but not all PDT files had values put in there...but you can do so yourself if you wish. We'll try to catch it for the next round on the ones that missed it, but that's likely to be a year or more away realistically, as we don't update after every game is released.

If one person changes the PDT files, would that affect PBEM at all?

Maybe a tutorial on how to do it, or specifially what to do for those not savvy with the SB mechanics

(namely me...)
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2010, 05:12 AM,
(05-06-2010, 10:44 PM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: If one person changes the PDT files, would that affect PBEM at all?

I would think this works the same as in PzC / MC titles. If one side plays with a different pdt file then they will have an unfair advantage in PBEM.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
05-07-2010, 05:26 AM,
That is correct, the PDT file only applies to the computer it is on - so it could lead to an unfair advantage, based on the settings used, or possibly even a corrupt game file. So both players should always use the same one.

The files are edited using the sqparam.exe program. If one is edited, "save as" with a new file name, then go to the scenario you want to use it for - make a copy of the file & give it a new name. Then open it with a Text editor (like Notepad) and change the 10th line to read the new PDT file name. Save & close.

If wanting to play with an altered PDT file do the above and then send the altered PDT & SCN file to your opponent so they can review.
05-07-2010, 11:17 PM,
(05-07-2010, 05:26 AM)rahamy Wrote: That is correct, the PDT file only applies to the computer it is on - so it could lead to an unfair advantage, based on the settings used, or possibly even a corrupt game file. So both players should always use the same one.

The files are edited using the sqparam.exe program. If one is edited, "save as" with a new file name, then go to the scenario you want to use it for - make a copy of the file & give it a new name. Then open it with a Text editor (like Notepad) and change the 10th line to read the new PDT file name. Save & close.

If wanting to play with an altered PDT file do the above and then send the altered PDT & SCN file to your opponent so they can review.

This must be the reason I lose so often. Clearly.

Big Grin
05-08-2010, 08:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2010, 08:58 AM by Rabbit.)
Another idea: a "mechanic/repair" squad unit that has a limited chance per turn of repairing immobolized vehicles. And I'd suggest basing that upon the armor value, such that low armor vehicles are much easier to repair than high armor vehicles. It might also be based on the unit's effectiveness or morale value so as to allow the scenario editor the ability to increase/decrease the unit's chances of repairing the vehicle(s) in a given scenario.
05-08-2010, 09:29 AM,
>"mechanic/repair" squad unit

That is something we have tossed about. I'd like to see crews being able to abandon vehicles first.
05-08-2010, 02:04 PM,
(05-08-2010, 08:55 AM)Rabbit Wrote: Another idea: a "mechanic/repair" squad unit that has a limited chance per turn of repairing immobolized vehicles.

Unlike medics, i can not see a mechanic / recovery team working under fire. There could be a small chance that some issues can be solved by the vehicle crew, like a jammed gun. From what little I know talking to those who saw combat in Vietnam - the Gulf Wars, an immobile vehicle attracts fire. Instincts say salvage what you need to survive, but get away from the thing. Best to link up with friendly forces or at least get into cover.

The SB battle time frame is too small for such activities as vehicle repair & recovery, from what I have seen.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
05-09-2010, 12:47 AM,
(05-08-2010, 02:04 PM)Dog Soldier Wrote:
(05-08-2010, 08:55 AM)Rabbit Wrote: Another idea: a "mechanic/repair" squad unit that has a limited chance per turn of repairing immobolized vehicles.

Unlike medics, i can not see a mechanic / recovery team working under fire. There could be a small chance that some issues can be solved by the vehicle crew, like a jammed gun. From what little I know talking to those who saw combat in Vietnam - the Gulf Wars, an immobile vehicle attracts fire. Instincts say salvage what you need to survive, but get away from the thing. Best to link up with friendly forces or at least get into cover.

The SB battle time frame is too small for such activities as vehicle repair & recovery, from what I have seen.

Dog Soldier

I would agree with this and second Mike's suggestion on a crew being able to abandon a vehicle. Keeps the 'easy' point total from being taken when someone takes out an immobile vehicle.
06-05-2010, 01:09 AM,
One feature I'd like to see is different sets of victory totals based on whether you are playing PBEM or against the AI. And in the latter case, have the victory totals change according to which side you are playing (i.e., have the victory totals favor the AI).
06-06-2010, 09:56 AM,
how about pre-registered mortars and artillery and bonuses for dug-in machine guns that do not move to reflect aiming stakes and other preparation

(unless I am missing something and they are already there)