• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Features you'd like to see with SB
12-10-2011, 11:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2011, 11:08 AM by Rabbit.)
RE: Features you'd like to see with SB
The ability in select scenarios to "dig in". That is, to dig trenches and/or set up obstacles. That might make for some interesting strategy decisions on defense. I'm guessing this shouldn't be too hard to do technically, at least for obstacles. Given that certain weapons can remove obstacles, I daresay you could create a class of weapons that could create them as well (with a low reliability factor to reflect the amount of time it might take to set up obstacles).
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2011, 06:06 PM,
I'd really like to see some possibility of repair for immobilized vehicles that have no LOS to enemy units with the minimum of having the ability to bail out. I can't imagine any crew not attempting to get their vehicle moving again as they watch their group move on without them.

The number of times I have had an AFV go breasts skywards moving along a secondary road or clear terrain with no LOS to enemy units has always puzzled me. I do see the reliability settings for each vehicle in the param tables but is the immobilization factor then the same or is it country specific?

AT guns. I understand they are small, very difficult to hit but if an HE round hits reasonably close it would seem that more of the crew should be knocked out than the way it is. How about by close air support? Is it even possible to kill one other than by direct assault?

Thanks,
Dog829

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.
12-18-2011, 01:40 AM,
The thing about digging in is we were given a time frame of 6-8 hours with two men, one digging, one on guard. I could see the possibility of being able to scratch out some ground to be less exposed, but not foxholes or trenches. Roadblock could be a possibility since one could be made by anything that could be thrown in a pile like a car, furniture, tires etc
12-19-2011, 02:49 PM,
Id like to see just because you are within visabilty range doesn't mean you automatically see them .I was in the Infantry and somtimes even in a field guys can walk past being as close as a few meters and not see you.
12-19-2011, 03:01 PM,
I am not sure this is a feature to be added.

I do wonder why squads in two separate hexes adjacent to the same enemy hex can not co-ordinate an assault. Hitting an enemy position simultaneously from more than one angle should be an advantage tactical officers tried to achieve.
Unless I missed something, assaults must launch from a single hex. Is there a design rational I missed in reading the designer noted for the series?

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-20-2011, 12:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2011, 12:08 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
(12-19-2011, 03:01 PM)Dog Soldier Wrote: I am not sure this is a feature to be added.

I do wonder why squads in two separate hexes adjacent to the same enemy hex can not co-ordinate an assault. Hitting an enemy position simultaneously from more than one angle should be an advantage tactical officers tried to achieve.
Unless I missed something, assaults must launch from a single hex. Is there a design rational I missed in reading the designer noted for the series?

Dog Soldier

I'm pretty sure that's a software limitation.

(12-19-2011, 02:49 PM)Landser34 Wrote: Id like to see just because you are within visabilty range doesn't mean you automatically see them .I was in the Infantry and somtimes even in a field guys can walk past being as close as a few meters and not see you.

I don't think that you can see everyone simply because they are in your LOS. If they move or fire, sure, but if someone is in a treeline they don't automatically become visible simply because the LOS is right.

Now if your in the middle of a field, that's a different story.

Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-20-2011, 01:33 PM,
I do remember reading something about gaining concealment during a game. It was only for infantry units. Infantry had to be in a hex with terrain at least one meter high and on ground without moving or firing. Vehicles can not gain concealment. Once in LOS of any enemy unit a vehicle is spotted for the player.

I am not sure if a gun can gain concealment. The rules spoke of infantry and vehicles. Silent about guns.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-20-2011, 11:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-21-2011, 12:02 AM by Wodin.)
Multi level buildings.

Co ordinated assualts from more than one hex as mentioned. Though I understand it's turn based and if you do one assault first then the other next it's supposed to have happened at the same time I'm sure the casualty figures don't represent that.

To be able to stand up from being prone when in a building without the possibilty of being spotted. Infact you should be able to move within a building without being spotted. O just to be able to satnd up from probne when say in a treeline (As I expect a soldier would stand up satnding behind a tree). Can't remember if this is already the case but if you are spotted and go prone say in bulding you should no longer be spotted.

Actual ammo levels (no longer abstract). The effectiveness drop to represent low ammo is a bugbear of mine, HMG42 fires at a squad 400 metres away who are on a road and gets no kills due to low effectiveness. With RoF settings and ammo levels I could have just fired of the last of the ammo and got some kills instead of the gun being pretty worthless.

Ability to choose RoF of gun\cannon etc (Goes hand in hand with ammo levels).

Ability for squad to crouch, be useful say when behind a wall to stay out of sight.

Improved tank data (I do understand thats for the new game series, however I prefer Infantry games and it would be nice if the armour was improved just a little bit).

Random AI setup start of scenario, or at least maybe three of four different set ups that are chosen randomly.

Be able to place pill boxes\wire\obstacles etc and troops at start of scenario.

Ammo dumps\carriers for longer scenarios. rememeber that Stalingrad scenario that needed an umpire. Love to be able to play that huge scenario if the changes to the game would allow it. This change is one thats needed. As well as a trickle of reinforcements to squads.

Crew to abandon vehicle.

Improved AI on attack.

Snipers or individual soldiers as mentioned to be able to move one hex at a time say across a wheatfield without the possibilty of being spotted even in LOS (though the nearer you get the more chance of being spotted, it should also be possible to sneak and plant demo charges etc without being seen on say a pillbox\bunker).

Ability to breakdown\reform a squad (again handy if you want to try and infiltrate under cover one soldier with say a stachel charge towards bunker\pillbox, think Normandy beach landings).

I remember playing a scenario in ES where tanks would just roll over my men and kill the lot of them, not sure if this has been changed yet. Hope it has as it was a slaughter and very frustrating. A tank entering a hex with Infantry should say maybe kill one or two but have a massive possibilty of being immobilsed if not destroyed by gung ho soldats.

A more dynamic campaign system (A great campaign system would bring in new players).

As mentioned ability to set range of hex for hold fire, great for ambush during Op's turn. At the mintue it's guess work when to click hold fire off. Hold fire for ambush when you time it right can be a huge success.

All the above I know are pipe dreams. Though if implimented I feel would add so much to the game.

Send this user an email
12-21-2011, 12:39 AM,
(12-20-2011, 01:33 PM)Dog Soldier Wrote: I do remember reading something about gaining concealment during a game. It was only for infantry units. Infantry had to be in a hex with terrain at least one meter high and on ground without moving or firing. Vehicles can not gain concealment. Once in LOS of any enemy unit a vehicle is spotted for the player.

I am not sure if a gun can gain concealment. The rules spoke of infantry and vehicles. Silent about guns.

Dog Soldier

Guns remain concealed as long as they dont fire or their crew stand up. This is not the case for vehicles though. They are always visible in LOS.