• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Volcanic Fall out?
04-20-2010, 07:15 PM,
RE: Volcanic Fall out?
Apparently the ash is similar to a component of glass and melts when sucked into a jet engine - looks like better safe than sorry.

(04-20-2010, 02:07 AM)Larry Reese Wrote: Gents,

I believe they've flown sampling flights and determined the ash density prior to calling for the closures. However, in cases where the governments are not prohibiting air traffic, the airlines are probably erring on the side of caution and, with margins paper thin already, avoiding massive maintenance accelerations is probably a key factor.

Man, I would have loved to see St. Helens. If we ever have another major eruption in the US, I'm there. Of course, those plans might change if it was a Yellowstone super-eruption or the like. :-)

LR

EDIT: I see the Belgians already had a F-16 sustain serious engine damage and NATO has moved AWACS aircraft from Germany to Italy to operate outside the ash cloud. Interesting; and consistent. Wonder what the particulate density is where the Falcon was damaged.
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2010, 11:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2010, 11:29 PM by Crossroads.)
(04-20-2010, 07:15 PM)Wolfman Wrote: Apparently the ash is similar to a component of glass and melts when sucked into a jet engine - looks like better safe than sorry.

Indeed. The FAF reported "severe damage" to F-18 engines that flew at northern Finland at the time the northern airspace was still open.

They reported ash like material on many places inside engines, with some of it having melted in places where it should not. This was last friday IIRC...

I would rather not fly through the ash cloud without an ejector seat?

EDIT: It was last thursday. Here's some pictures of the F-18 engine, although the second pic is about a Hawk that did some tests today:

http://bit.ly/cLXgSX (in finnish).

The first pic is from the inside of an engine with melted residue, while the third and fourth pic are about plain dust particles inside air intake.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
04-27-2010, 01:34 PM,
I was wondering can propeller aircraft fly in these ash clouds?
04-28-2010, 11:42 AM,
I remember the damage to car finishes and engines as a result of Mt. St. Helens, so I have to believe that piston engines will suffer from ash ingestion as well...
04-29-2010, 06:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-30-2010, 03:40 AM by Crossroads.)
(04-27-2010, 01:34 PM)Pointman Wrote: I was wondering can propeller aircraft fly in these ash clouds?

Apparently not.. A related strip from Fingerpori comics:

[Image: ashcloud2.jpg]

Here's another recent one. A bit difficult to translate. EDIT: This works a bit better? *)

[Image: dogsofwar5.jpg]
*) Although you might ask: "That's a wolf, not a dog?" "Why is it in a friendly uniform?" ...

And while at it, a re-post from last December
[Image: 1939.gif]
Visit us at CSLegion.com
04-30-2010, 12:17 AM,
I really like that last one...
12-05-2010, 05:59 AM,
Just in time to celebrate our Independence Day, a new Winter War strip from Fingerpori comics:

[Image: fp20101204.gif]
Visit us at CSLegion.com