• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Volcanic Fall out?
04-18-2010, 05:11 AM,
Off Topic  Volcanic Fall out?
So my European brethren, just what does the volcanic cloud look like that is screwing up the air corridors? Much ado about nothing, or something that really stands out when you look up in the skies? I even saw a report that the volcanoes are due to global warming.

Regards from sunny Arizona.

Jim vK
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2010, 05:37 AM,
RE: Volcanic Fall out?
Beautiful day here in southeast England, been soaking up the rays in the garden all day, bring on more volcano's if this is the effect they have.....Big Grin
04-18-2010, 05:45 AM,
Yep, just showed a news from Frankfurt where people were enjoying a sunny day at market square - with no noise pollution from aircraft! :)
Visit us at CSLegion.com
04-18-2010, 05:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2010, 10:27 AM by Otto von Blotto.)
Must admit, being within 30 miles of Gatwick Airport in the south east of England it's been nice without the constant background noise and all the con-trails in the sky. The sun sets have been nice but not spectacual, no ash setting here yet and we haven't seen any menicing clouds in the sky but a few freinds further north have had some ash settle on their cars.
04-18-2010, 05:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2010, 05:46 PM by Crossroads.)
Maybe this joke has not hit the US yet:

Britain: Iceland are you crazy?!? Why did you send us volcanic ash ? Our airspace has shut down!

Iceland: What ? That's what you asked for isn't it ?

Britain: NO! We said cash! Cash you dyslexic idiot. CASH!

Iceland: Oops...

The point being there is no letter "C" in the Icelandic alphabet... And the cash of course having to do with Icelandic bank crisis and the cash they owe especially to Brits...
Visit us at CSLegion.com
04-18-2010, 06:24 PM,
Just my luck, quit smoking this week, only to get buried in 10 feet of ash!
04-19-2010, 03:09 AM,
I don't believe the ash need be visible to the naked eye to potentially bring down aircraft. The clogging/pasting and abrasive properties will still chose the fan disks to pulp, particularly if a high concentration pocket happens to be flown through. I'm sure the airlines and most other air operators (governments and such) feel the risks and the accelerated maintenance needs even without a catastrophic failure simply aren't worth it.

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
04-19-2010, 04:15 AM,
Larry,

I lived on the edges of Mount St. Helens eruption, so it was an interesting force of nature for me. Volcanic ash is a very destructive force for mechanical equipment.

I just wonder what the threat is versus the perception. We know the effect is very bad, but is the threat all pervasive along all air corridors between Europe and North America. Or is it a case of better safe than sorry.

I see that it was somewhat of a perfect storm for the volcano. Jet stream was blowing just right and once the glaciers are gone/melted, my understanding is the threat will be gone.

News is saying this is bigger than 9/11 flight halt.

It is interesting to see just how vulnerable our civilization is to mother nature. I also found it quite humorous that global warming was thrown in by some so called expert even though this volcano has been spewing routinely for an extremely long time.

Regards,

Jim
04-19-2010, 05:48 AM,
Global warming bullshit Jim volcanoes have been erupting for millions of years sending all that ash and CO2 into the atmosphere caushing mini ice age's etc.Something we cant beat even with all the know how of the planets finest.PS this not a nasty message although my first part might look like that.Think it was Larry who stated the effects of volcanic ash for planes correct just watch air crash investigation on the Doc channel Sat TV.Anyway 5 billion years and the Earth is still active just as well all that ash is a bonus for life in the future full of the things plants need for growth and more plants meen more air for us.These thinga have been happening for millions of years trouble is us human's are more fragile to change than the other specious on the planet.:happy::happy::happy:Amazing what a few drinks does for you.:stir::stir::stir:
04-20-2010, 02:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2010, 04:07 AM by Larry Reese.)
Gents,

I believe they've flown sampling flights and determined the ash density prior to calling for the closures. However, in cases where the governments are not prohibiting air traffic, the airlines are probably erring on the side of caution and, with margins paper thin already, avoiding massive maintenance accelerations is probably a key factor.

Man, I would have loved to see St. Helens. If we ever have another major eruption in the US, I'm there. Of course, those plans might change if it was a Yellowstone super-eruption or the like. :-)

LR

EDIT: I see the Belgians already had a F-16 sustain serious engine damage and NATO has moved AWACS aircraft from Germany to Italy to operate outside the ash cloud. Interesting; and consistent. Wonder what the particulate density is where the Falcon was damaged.
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.