• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Extreme assault or not?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
YES
66.67%
14 66.67%
NO
33.33%
7 33.33%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Extreme assault or not
04-12-2010, 03:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-12-2010, 04:32 AM by Otto von Blotto.)
RE: Extreme assault or not
Quote:I don't think I'm saying that Otto?
The comment was made about old scenarios becoming unbalanced, if EA is used.
I was saying that, with the new units available, I prefer newly designed scenarios where EA can become a workable feature in them.

My apologies as the thread was about EA I assumed that’s what you were talking about is what is playable now and new scn can be made for either set of rules so any new scn's and units are not depended on the new rules. I would also would assume that the balanced for pbem scn’s that came stock with the game would be playable within the current rules.?
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2010, 03:40 AM,
Going by other's comments Otto, apparently many of the stock scns are not so balanced under the current rules, using EA.
Uh! - I am talking about EA?
04-12-2010, 03:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-12-2010, 04:34 AM by Otto von Blotto.)
(04-12-2010, 03:40 AM)glint Wrote: Going by other's comments Otto, apparently many of the stock scns are not so balanced under the current rules, using EA.
Uh! - I am talking about EA?

True I feel those and many of the 100's of custom made ones too, please send me some of your new scn's that are balanced for EA I will happily give them a try as I havn't seen many made for EA in the last year since it came out. If you want a match with one, send it thought I will be over the moon to play you.

PS I'll be the defender if you have one with lots of improved postions...;) (only joking with you, whatever you feel would be balanced to play is fine.)
04-12-2010, 04:42 AM,
My time is filled unfortunately and one I'm designing is for team gaming and undergoing playtesting, nowhere near ready to put out.
04-12-2010, 04:50 AM,
No worries another time perhaps, are you going to reasses your older pre EA scn's that are in the database and bring them up to date.?
04-12-2010, 04:57 AM,
They were put there to enable reporting of a game. Maybe a couple were ok, I'll have to sort/delete as appropriate.
Thanks for bringing that to my notice!
04-12-2010, 06:18 AM,
I've used EA from the get go and I've never run into an old scenario I didn't like with it... until now. I'm 48 turns through Earl's 64 turn monster Kursk scenario "Frustrations of the III Pz. Korps" Rob and I have been playing this for quite a while and I am enjoying it greatly. (Great scenario Earl :thumbs_up: ) but as the III Pz. Korp I can tell you an already difficult scenario is damn near impossible with EA :pullhair: I've lost hundreds of strenth points from Russain artillery because assault and multiple assaults just do not carry. Now this isn't sour grapes and I also compliment Rob on his play, we are having a gas with this one, but with line upon line of entrenchments, and probably 40 or 50 bunkers plus its just a shooting gallery for Russain artillery. I'll still keep playing with EA, as I do like it but with the caveat that some scenarios do become seriously unbalanced with it. Didn't vote but if I could it would be scenario dependent.

Just my .02
04-12-2010, 10:16 AM,
(04-12-2010, 06:18 AM)XLVIII Pz. Korp Wrote: I've used EA from the get go and I've never run into an old scenario I didn't like with it... until now. I'm 48 turns through Earl's 64 turn monster Kursk scenario "Frustrations of the III Pz. Korps" Rob and I have been playing this for quite a while and I am enjoying it greatly. (Great scenario Earl :thumbs_up: ) but as the III Pz. Korp I can tell you an already difficult scenario is damn near impossible with EA :pullhair: I've lost hundreds of strenth points from Russain artillery because assault and multiple assaults just do not carry. Now this isn't sour grapes and I also compliment Rob on his play, we are having a gas with this one, but with line upon line of entrenchments, and probably 40 or 50 bunkers plus its just a shooting gallery for Russain artillery. I'll still keep playing with EA, as I do like it but with the caveat that some scenarios do become seriously unbalanced with it. Didn't vote but if I could it would be scenario dependent.

Just my .02

Unfortunately I designed the scenario before EA rules but it was also designed to be very tough for the Germans ( hence the name).

As for EA I prefer it and am actaully totaly bored by the old rule. I figure the few flaws in EA rule far outwiegh ever using the old rule. I am playing one scenario without EA and when finished it will be my last. EA on or no game for me................I guess that's a vote for :-)

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
04-12-2010, 12:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-12-2010, 12:47 PM by Scud.)
Well, I voted "Yes", but I'm still on the fence. I use it when playing the AI, but virtually all of my present and most recent opponents either don't use it or the tournaments we're participating in aren't including it.

I love the game either way and find flaws either way, so pick your poison, but I ultimately feel it should be a designer's option more than a player's going foward. If the designer creates the scenario with it on, then that's how it should be played, especially after H2H testing.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
04-12-2010, 07:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-12-2010, 07:48 PM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
(04-12-2010, 02:06 AM)Otto von Blotto Wrote: I think a third option needs to be added to the poll, A middle way is what I would go for and what I and a some others wanted at the time the new rules were released.

While I agree the old non EA rules were flawed I find the EA rules are flawed also and make the game too much of a slogging match that does suck some of the fun out of it, it also make a few old favorite and well balanced scn not worth playing now. I do tend by choice to play with them off, but don't mind if my opponent picks them.

I totally agree. Except that I like to see what the opponent has chosen when they insist on EA.
I think that EA or non EA are polar opposites. Somewhere in the middle would have been nice. :chin:

cheers

HSL
(04-12-2010, 01:27 AM)Artur Wrote: I would like to play a bit with JTCS and I believe it is good to know whether to play with or without it as it makes a totally different game.

You have not reported any games in quite a while? JTCS is a totally different game from Steel Panthers.
Let us know when you join the CS Ladder? :chin:

cheers

HSL