• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

IronX's World at War Released
03-31-2010, 02:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2010, 02:08 PM by Riley D. Smith.)
RE: IronX's World at War Released
(03-31-2010, 05:10 AM)Mad_Dog Wrote: Copy the pw.exe file, all the .dll files, and all the manifest files from your PW folder into your WaW folder, that worked for me.

That got 'er workin' mate. Thanks for the hand up. My first impressions are pretty favorable. Some real quality work in this mod...especially since it is just a standard game install. The sounds are spot on, the new graphics I like.

And quite a few really good scenarios. I am playing Battle of Norfolk and Seal Team 4 against the AI for a little look see than I'll let somebody whup me for a ladder win. Although I gotta say...I've been taking some pretty good pastings on a regular basis from the illustrious Mr. Harden and that dastardly Nik Butler. Great games though.

I better read through some documentation as there are a bunch of things that I have not seen before (night imaging sights etc).
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2010, 09:15 PM,
For me anyway, the NV sights were a little counter-intuitive. I expected them to work like illumination, but they are more like the binoculars. It's a good idea to play with them before trying in a ladder game, to avoid potential frustration. ;)

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

03-31-2010, 11:13 PM,
Great mod and lot of fun so far in iran/iraq war and chechnya

Only slight gripe I have is its hard to pick up russians units in urban fight in Chechnya

Kudos to Iron X for what I think is a great addition to sqb stable
244 games with legend that is Richie61
04-01-2010, 02:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2010, 02:30 AM by Riley D. Smith.)
(03-31-2010, 09:15 PM)Mad_Dog Wrote: For me anyway, the NV sights were a little counter-intuitive. I expected them to work like illumination, but they are more like the binoculars. It's a good idea to play with them before trying in a ladder game, to avoid potential frustration. ;)

Funny you should mention that mate. I learned very quickly the proper way to use the night sighting. I fired up a quick me vs AI scenario (Battle of Norfolk). Small historical scenario involving initially 2 Bradley AFV's and one M113 w/a radio. They stumble upon (a) dug in Iraqi infantry forces backed by BTR's and
(b) a couple of dug-in tanks. When I spotted the enemy it was too late. I had come in too close, flares popped, and I soon was fighting a hasty (and doomed) retreat from 3 burning armored vehicles.

<scrap scenario 1>

Fire up round #2. This time looking over the drop-down context menus, looking at ranges, range of night-sighting, etc. Much better results. Probing to the southern end of the trenches I spot not only Iraqi infantry and armored cars, but 2 more dug-in T-62 tanks. With my Brad's lighting up the targets, my M-113 calling in arty, and my M1A1 Abram's slinging shaped charges, things are going much better. All long before the enemy can even see me, let alone shoot at me.

I am really loving this mod. The updated unit art (including the "hulks" of scrap iron) is great. This one is an "outa da park" homer imo.
04-13-2010, 07:09 PM,
Arrghhh. Sorry for the stupid question but...I can't seem to find the install instructions. I have pac war patched and copied. Where do I head to from here?
04-13-2010, 11:22 PM,
(04-13-2010, 07:09 PM)Nikb Wrote: Arrghhh. Sorry for the stupid question but...I can't seem to find the install instructions. I have pac war patched and copied. Where do I head to from here?

It's an auto installer, Nik. You just need to run the program and all should be taken care of....
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
04-14-2010, 07:09 PM,
(04-13-2010, 11:22 PM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:
(04-13-2010, 07:09 PM)Nikb Wrote: Arrghhh. Sorry for the stupid question but...I can't seem to find the install instructions. I have pac war patched and copied. Where do I head to from here?

It's an auto installer, Nik. You just need to run the program and all should be taken care of....

Ah thanks Alan and Riley (via email). All up and running.

Boy those graphics are the best yet. Superb. I like how the counters have a picture of the full human instead of the standard shoulders up look.

I don't know what the game play is like but the visuals are impressive.
04-14-2010, 09:04 PM,
Tom and I have been beating the crap out of each other in South Ossetia for about 16 turns now and it's a lot of fun. Some great urban scenarios in this one.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

04-14-2010, 10:57 PM,
Amen

From Iran/Iraq war to Sierra Leone and fighting in Russian republics its been a real blast
244 games with legend that is Richie61
04-14-2010, 11:16 PM,
(04-14-2010, 10:57 PM)Laza Wrote: Amen

From Iran/Iraq war to Sierra Leone and fighting in Russian republics its been a real blast

I'm finding the affection for WAW versus RSoE quite interesting. Both are excellent games, but WAW seems to have much more of an immediate impact on players.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4