• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Midway questions
06-18-2010, 11:00 AM,
RE: Midway questions
US torpedoes were awful, up to about mid-1943. It's the worst ordnance scandal in US military history. Read about it in Clay Blair's Silent Victory. Basically, the defects were defective magnetic detonators and deep running. When the magnetic detonators were disabled, another defect in the impact pin was found. All of these problems were blamed on sub skippers not shooting right, etc.

Lot of men risked and gave lives--in subs and torpedo bombers and destroyers--while going into battle with defective weapons.
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2010, 09:53 PM,
Guys, how does multiplayer work in this game? What I mean is how long does it take to finish a multiplayer game?
07-12-2010, 10:01 PM,
That depends on the size of the scenario & what speed you to choose to play most of the game at. We played a 2-on-2 scenario at TillerCon in a little over 2 hours I believe.
08-16-2010, 07:41 PM,
Recently got Midway. Have found that torpedo bombers work sometimes, and other times they don't. I tend to watch them now, and when they get within torpedo range, you need to see whether they start to peel off and return to base, which means they launched correctly. Sometimes, however, they will continue on to the target vessel, and just fly over it continually, usually until shot down by AAA. You can manually have them fly away from the target until they are outside the minimum torp range, and then manually launch the torps. Not sure why this happens some times, not others.

I like the game, but there are some areas that I have a problem with. Reading Rich Hamilton's blog, the idea of the game is to be in the CinC's chair, and not to deal with the minutiae of sea battles. However, if you do this, enemy subs will rip you a new one. You have to be constantly aware of subs, and watching for the sonar bearing lines, and then start to micro-manage the TF orders to avoid getting creamed by torpedoes. I have also tried to execute a sub attack on the IJN transport fleet in the Midway scn's, only to find the computer is able, to have the TF zig-zag effectively, which would require my entire attention if I tried to have this done as a human. There should be some kind of automatic order (kind of like the "commander control" in the ACW games) that would allow you to give a zig-zag order to a TF maybe with timing and leg distances, to follow along the base course.

I have also found it nearly impossible to conduct an effective ASW attack. If I concentrate on having a destroyer circle and make passes over the sub contact location, dropping depth charges, I lose track of what is happening to my other ships and TF's. Maybe have the ability to assign the depth charges as active load, and then designate the spotted sub as target and have the ship attack on auto, until ordered otherwise?

Just some suggestions about areas that I feel distract from the main issue of carrier warfare.

Bill
08-18-2010, 07:58 AM,
"Just some suggestions about areas that I feel distract from the main issue of carrier warfare."

Good analysis. I gave up on the game for just the reasons you cite. It was fun at first, but dealing with the submarines is possible only for the computer, and the torp. bombers don't work, that's all there is to it. ASW and submarines should be entirely left to the computer. jonny cheers
08-28-2010, 09:39 PM,
b_Exclamation Mark  RE: Midway questions
Gentlemen,

actually this series is designed for multiplayer gaming.
I asked for multiplayer online gaming participants several times before,
but seems like nobody is really interested. Otherwise we could form a "Blitz team" to challenge the guys from the Naval Campaign Club.
You cannot play a battle like Jutland or Midway in single player mode and manage all the details simultaneously, but that´s quite different in
multiplayer mode. You can definetely sink submarines, in case one commander can leave all other aspects of the game to his team mates.

Cheers, Klaus :whis:
Sic transit Gloria Mundi !
08-28-2010, 11:00 PM,
(08-28-2010, 09:39 PM)Jolly Roger Wrote: Gentlemen,

but seems like nobody is really interested. Otherwise we could form a "Blitz team" to challenge the guys from the Naval Campaign Club.
You cannot play a battle like Jutland or Midway in single player mode and manage all the details simultaneously, but that´s quite different in
multiplayer mode. You can definetely sink submarines, in case one commander can leave all other aspects of the game to his team mates.

I have an interest - just no time - and I mean NO time. If that changes I'll try to link up, as I agree it is a blast in Multiplayer. The game we played at TillerCon was very enjoyable.
08-31-2010, 04:11 AM,
(08-28-2010, 09:39 PM)Jolly Roger Wrote: Gentlemen,

My copy of the game is still on it's way from Canada. The supplier does not ship directly to South Africa. Therefore I had to ask a relative in Canada to buy it on my behalf and send it to me. I just need to refund. After receiving it, I will be interested in what JR suggests here. Just give me time to get it, familiarize myself with the game and then it's all systems go. Will take a few weeks though.:(
09-03-2010, 02:54 AM,
Hi Ratel,

you are definetely welcome. Just drop me a mail when you are ready to go. Where in South Africa do you live ?

Rich, I know you are very busy. Hope you could enjoy this great game in multiplayer mode in the future. It´s far better, than you would believe !
:smoke:

Cheers, Klauscheers
Sic transit Gloria Mundi !
09-03-2010, 03:44 PM,
(09-03-2010, 02:54 AM)Jolly Roger Wrote: Hi Ratel,

you are definetely welcome. Just drop me a mail when you are ready to go. Where in South Africa do you live ?

Rich, I know you are very busy. Hope you could enjoy this great game in multiplayer mode in the future. It´s far better, than you would believe !
:smoke:

Cheers, Klauscheers

Hi JR,
I'm in Cape Town. Where are you from?
I got news that the game is on it's way. Should have it later this month.
Regards
Ratel