• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Midway questions
03-23-2010, 06:44 AM,
Midway questions
Will my ships fire torpedoes automatically? Will they fire with gunnery automatically? Thanks jonny :happy:
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2010, 09:22 PM,
RE: Midway questions
Yes, firing will happen automatically, but in most engagements in the game ship torpedos aren't too heavily used - unless its a sub attack.
03-25-2010, 04:47 AM,
"Yes, firing will happen automatically, but in most engagements in the game ship torpedos aren't too heavily used"
I managed to close the PH INJ striking force with my USN CAs and DDs. The INJ fired a lot of torpedoes with great effect. My ships didn't fire one. I can't recall but weren't American torpedoes in 1942 not very good. Did USN CAs have torpedoes? I can't remember. Jonny:smoke:
03-25-2010, 05:50 AM,
The US did have issues with torps in the early part of the war, but I can't comment on specifics. Not an area I have researched. Sounds like they must be fired manually though...sorry you had to discover that by trial of fire! ;-)
03-26-2010, 05:35 AM,
"Sounds like they must be fired manually though...sorry you had to discover that by trial of fire!"
I'm slowly learning this system. I also see that you've got to get pretty close to actually hit anything with torpedoes. Thanks!:smoke:
04-14-2010, 09:18 AM,
Japanese torps were called Long Lances...much greater range than US torps, I think .
04-14-2010, 09:49 AM,
When I'm on the receiving end of automatically fired yankee torpedoes they work very very well. jonny :hissy:Fiery
04-16-2010, 07:18 AM,
So to be clear, on the human side, ship torps must be fired manually. No way to turn that over to the AI. Fire a tight spread for best effect (and why it would be nice to see this ported back to Tsushima and Jutland).

Aircraft will fire torps automatically if you have given them a strike mission and they are at their target.
04-19-2010, 10:17 AM,
"Aircraft will fire torps automatically if you have given them a strike mission and they are at their target."
[/quote]
No they won't. j
04-20-2010, 02:28 AM,
USN CAs do not generally have torpedoes. They were removed from CA design sometime in the 20's or 30's. The Northhamptons were the last designed with torpedo tubes. Of the CLs, only the Atlantas had torps, I think.

In comparison, I think just about all the IJN cruiser (light and heavy) had torpedoes. Even the Kongos had torpedo tubes, and they were BC/BB designs.