• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Off topic Naval Games Chat...........
03-09-2010, 02:07 PM,
RE: HPS releases 2 titles March 5th
(03-09-2010, 06:01 AM)cavalry corps Wrote: Yes get AE

Cav

I own WITP. It's my understanding that there is some kind of discount for AE, but in your opinion, is it worth it?
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2010, 10:25 AM,
Does anybody know if the Midway game comes with the "Enhanced Submarine Rules"?
03-10-2010, 03:34 PM,
WRT WitP-AE, NOTHING stacks up against it. It is the most involved, complex game I've ever seen. It's not really a game, it's a commitment, possibly to an insane asylum.

Carriers at War is, by contrast, an evening of fun, but replayability was very low. Check the Matrix forum for this game, it is stone cold dead.

I'm intrigued by Midway--there is stuff there that you can't do in Carriers at War, like turn your ships into the wind to launch, and make sure their speed is correct. CaW abstracted too much of the detail like that I would have loved to see in a carrier game.
03-10-2010, 05:50 PM,
(03-09-2010, 02:07 PM)Bacillus98 Wrote:
(03-09-2010, 06:01 AM)cavalry corps Wrote: Yes get AE

Cav

I own WITP. It's my understanding that there is some kind of discount for AE, but in your opinion, is it worth it?

I consider this to be the best wargame I've ever played, believe the discount for WitP owners lasts for 6 months, as AE was released September 2009 it will end shortly.
From memory at the Matrix site AE forum you can get a discount code when you produce your WitP game CD key.
You then use the discount code to recieve the discount when you purchase/download AE from Digital River.
Now into it's third MEGA patch which also supports wide screen displays.

The campaign game at first is a daunting challenge with reports of some gamers taking a full week to move air, land and naval units ( three days for my forces ) but thereafter an hour or two should suffice.

This is the best wargaming investment I've ever made.
03-11-2010, 03:09 AM,
I second the praise for WitP Admiral's edition. It really cleans up the original and has completely revised many of the game's sub systems to provide an even more realistic play experience.
03-11-2010, 06:03 AM,
(03-11-2010, 03:09 AM)Vaevictis Wrote: I second the praise for WitP Admiral's edition. It really cleans up the original and has completely revised many of the game's sub systems to provide an even more realistic play experience.

I would just add a note of caution. AE is huge, and then some. It makes the 420 turn Moscow campaign look mediocre in comparison. It can last between 1000 and 1400 turns with a first turn taking upto 20 hours. After that things get faster and some of the guys can bang out turns every 15 minutes, though I can't get it less than two hours.
03-11-2010, 06:08 AM,
(03-11-2010, 03:09 AM)Vaevictis Wrote: I second the praise for WitP Admiral's edition. It really cleans up the original and has completely revised many of the game's sub systems to provide an even more realistic play experience.

I have ordered WitP AE along with Sealoin '40 from NWS. I have played Uncommon Valor and from everything I have read WitP AE expands that game in depth as well as breadth. My most long term gaming opponent has become addicted to it.
03-11-2010, 07:50 AM,
(03-10-2010, 10:25 AM)Custer61 Wrote: Does anybody know if the Midway game comes with the "Enhanced Submarine Rules"?

Yes, I believe it does -- if you mean enhanced over what was there before (which was basically nothing).
Send this user an email