• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Off topic Naval Games Chat...........
03-07-2010, 03:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-11-2010, 09:23 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Off topic Naval Games Chat...........
Anyone have any thoughts or reviews on the Naval Campaign series?

Midway is interesting me.
Bob
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2010, 04:38 AM,
RE: HPS releases 2 titles March 5th
Hmmm i really enjoyed Jutland and Tsuschima... well Midway may be interesting... I was counting on Fall Weiss for PzC
03-07-2010, 04:41 AM,
(03-07-2010, 03:01 AM)Rev Rico Wrote: Anyone have any thoughts or reviews on the Naval Campaign series?

Bob

I have Jutland (the 1st title in the series) & unfortunately, I have to say that, even with the mods available at the Naval Campaigns club, the game just doesn't do anything for me. The graphics are just too dated & simplistic. From the looks of the screen shots Midway seems to be very similar. I have the 2007 remake of Carriers At War by SSG and despite CAW's higher price tag I think that you would get more enjoyment out of that game. It's a nicer looking game & the AI is pretty sharp. It covers the same battles (the Midway scenario alone has several dozen variants) as the HPS title and there is a MegaMod (free of charge) available at Alternate Wars which adds extra scenarios (Indian Ocean Raid, etc.) & graphic enhancements.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
03-07-2010, 09:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2010, 10:31 AM by Volcano Man.)
Midway is a blast, I love it. I played the Battle of Coral Sea the other day, and I have to say that Naval Campaigns is a lot better with carriers and planes. ;)
Send this user an email
03-08-2010, 01:47 AM,
(03-07-2010, 04:41 AM)Gasbag Wrote:
(03-07-2010, 03:01 AM)Rev Rico Wrote: Anyone have any thoughts or reviews on the Naval Campaign series?

Bob

I have Jutland (the 1st title in the series) & unfortunately, I have to say that, even with the mods available at the Naval Campaigns club, the game just doesn't do anything for me. The graphics are just too dated & simplistic. From the looks of the screen shots Midway seems to be very similar. I have the 2007 remake of Carriers At War by SSG and despite CAW's higher price tag I think that you would get more enjoyment out of that game. It's a nicer looking game & the AI is pretty sharp. It covers the same battles (the Midway scenario alone has several dozen variants) as the HPS title and there is a MegaMod (free of charge) available at Alternate Wars which adds extra scenarios (Indian Ocean Raid, etc.) & graphic enhancements.

That's an interesting observation, I had considered buying Carriers At War some time ago.

I'm curious how Midway, and now Guadalcanal since that title has been upgraded to take advantage of the Aircraft rules incorporated in Midway, stack up against Uncommon Valor or War in the Pacific.
03-08-2010, 04:35 AM,
Well, I am not 100% sure since I do not own UV or WitP (so please, correct me if I am wrong), but Naval Campaigns simply covers the battles themselves where as the former covers everything from top to bottom such as logistics, and many other micro management tasks, so maybe it can be considered more of an operation level game? This can of course be too much for what some people might be looking for.
Send this user an email
03-08-2010, 05:47 AM,
(03-08-2010, 04:35 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: Well, I am not 100% sure since I do not own UV or WitP (so please, correct me if I am wrong), but Naval Campaigns simply covers the battles themselves where as the former covers everything from top to bottom such as logistics, and many other micro management tasks, so maybe it can be considered more of an operation level game? This can of course be too much for what some people might be looking for.

Yes UV is very complex. You need to spend a lot of time reading the manual before actually playing the game. Some people like this amount of complexity but it's just not for me. CAW is by no means perfect. There is no linked campaign; all the scenarios are stand alone. Surface combat is pretty abstract & ground combat is non-existent (secondary missions goals simply consist of bombarding, invading or supplying an objective). What I like about CAW is that you can get into the game quickly & as I said before, the AI is no slouch.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
03-09-2010, 05:34 AM,
Are we all aware of the latest 175MB patch for Guadalcanal which brings it up to speed with the latest Midway game.

Don't waste your time or money on UV or WitP the WitP/AE is the way forward.
03-09-2010, 06:01 AM,
Yes get AE

Cav
03-09-2010, 01:56 PM,
Thank you so much for this release!