• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

RS: Terror on Tarakan has been H2H Approved!
03-07-2010, 03:40 AM,
RE: RS: Terror on Tarakan has been H2H Approved!
Good job, Mike. ...and yes, Ed, my scens are open to anyone. Thanx Huib, always a good pal.

A plug...the original "The Fall of Tarakan" offers an interesting dichotomy to this new one. If properly played, by the Dutch, it is quite fun. A few testers on that one would, I am sure, agree.

Historically, the Dutch did not hold anything. However (regarding the original Tarakan), the Allies: (1) must flee; (2) must delay with minimal force and do not engage the Japanese head to head (H2H, I made a funny); (3) concentrate; (4) counterattack locally and (5) if done properly, with a few good breaks, fight the Japanese as hard as you can during the last few turns with your (finally) amalgamated force.

The early Dutch East Indies scens can be won by the Dutch...but not with Maginot Line tactics...their intent (historically), from the beginning, was to fight "guerilla" style, and properly played, by the Dutch, the scens offer a good chance to win against what appears to be overwhelming Japanese superiority. It seems that many players of the scens fail to recognize that and throw them into the dust bin.

I find scens that require guile to win very satisfying...and fun.

So, regarding the original Tarakan: delay, delay, delay, conserve, delay, delay and I repeat...delay.

Cheers
Curt
Town Drunk
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2010, 05:15 AM,
Curt thanks for stepping up the positive.
Let it be known to all that you do put extensive time into making the maps and putting historical units into historical situations. For that I applaud your efforts. It is a painstakingly tedious process I am sure.
Thanks also for allowing Mike the opportunity of using your maps and making a scenario that can be played as a "game" in a somewhat balanced fashion.
No one is dismissing what you have created and your philosophy of game design.

I fall back on the old saying that I heard long ago, "if it's good, they will play it." I hope that yours and Mikes get plenty of plays.

On a different note, I know that "some" want to guide the discussion "their way". I'm more for a free form posting kinda guy. "Let the thoughts go where they may." If H2H was the discussion "up front" let it be H2H. If others want to shut down the discussion then maybe they can bring something constructive to the table?

We all know who likes simulation over game. We know who likes game over simulation. It's all good for each? Heck, some of us like both and blends of each?

Shutting one down to promote another is really not going to get very far in the overall promotion of the game in a club that uses "gaming ladders"?

Just look at what Mike has done using H2H? He has rammed through two scenarios in record time compared to others that have languished for long periods of time? :conf:

We could have just congratulated him for his accomplishment with no negative attachments? Why some (not Curt) chose to do so is disappointing, in the least. :(
Just my opinion and probably not worth the two cents if the few continue along the same path? Whip

Like most "consumer goods", there are many flavors and styles because there are many different tastes?

Off the box. :soap:

cheers

HSL
03-07-2010, 06:04 AM,
Ed,
...but post #6 by Foul...is foul. It is goading at it's most obvious (...and then we have...for what reason?...and etc.).
Huib is a most trusted collaborator and friend.

Please look into that.

Thanx
Curt
Town Drunk
03-07-2010, 06:19 AM,
'' On a different note, I know that "some" want to guide the discussion "their way". I'm more for a free form posting kinda guy. "Let the thoughts go where they may." If H2H was the discussion "up front" let it be H2H. If others want to shut down the discussion then maybe they can bring something constructive to the table? ''

I tried to do the positive Ed in a previous thread but then the mods dived in and thought I was locking horns with you again, hence, in the thread, I removed myself from the debate. In no way was I trying to 'guide' the discussion my way. I started trying to give some constructive criticism to the initial post, Mike even welcomed my input in the original thread. However, I think the mods are still monitoring us/me so, guess I can only contribute in a controlled environment?
Perhaps that's why my comments are being construed as negative, because I feel restricted in expanding my comments.
I've had a few PM's regarding this thread, personally, I think we're all men enough to debate on an open forum but,the mods decide otherwise, so we're stuck with that I guess.
To anyone concerned, don't PM me, if you have something to say, say it here please, I hate censorship.
Regarding Mike, yeah congrats for the efforts, truly. The original H2H thread tho had to be addressed and as a member, I'm entitled to my opinion as a member, as well as everyone else. If it causes angst to some then that works two ways?
Anyway, I'm waiting for the hammer to fall once again so enough said!
regards
Peter
...but post #6 by Foul...is foul. It is goading at it's most obvious (...and then we have...for what reason?...and etc.).

Yeah, then they wonder why they get negative reaction?
03-07-2010, 06:36 AM,
...?...

for real...?...

cheers
Curt
Town Drunk
03-07-2010, 07:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2010, 07:44 AM by Kool Kat.)
(03-07-2010, 03:23 AM)Foul. Wrote: Well done, look forward to your next offering. Big Grin

Hi Darran: :smoke:

I'm looking to get my next scenario design uploaded into H2H in the next few weeks! :eek1:

I think I'm starting to get the "hang" of this designing stuff! ;)
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
03-07-2010, 08:46 AM,
Gentlemen.........
We are all gamers of a " different " community
Kind of like a goalie that does not have the puck or a winger that does not get passed too....
Great job for a new RS Scenario!
Cam
03-07-2010, 10:32 AM,
(03-07-2010, 07:44 AM)mwest Wrote:
(03-07-2010, 03:23 AM)Foul. Wrote: Well done, look forward to your next offering. Big Grin

Hi Darran: :smoke:

I'm looking to get my next scenario design uploaded into H2H in the next few weeks! :eek1:

I think I'm starting to get the "hang" of this designing stuff! ;)

Mike you should be proud of your accomplishment. Well done, Thaks for enriching the game . And by all means keep them coming.