• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

RS: Terror on Tarakan has been H2H Approved!
03-06-2010, 09:31 PM,
Thumbs_Up  RS: Terror on Tarakan has been H2H Approved!
Gents: :smoke:

I am pleased to announce that my Rising Sun scenario - Terror on Tarakan - has been approved... and is now the latest H2H scenario for you to enjoy and play! Big Grin

You may download the Terror on Tarakan game files HERE.

Many thanks to all the play testers! cheers

Taking scenario designs through the H2H process is a team effort and your test game reports and email comments helped me improve the scenario. And in the end... after multiple test games... and revisions... a better and balanced scenario emerges! :bow:

Enjoy! And thanks again! cheers
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2010, 10:37 PM,
RE: RS: Terror on Tarakan has been H2H Approved!
Mike,
Well done for another quality CS product!! :bow:

Mike has received his designer bonus and all of the testers have received their bonus testing points, thank you all for helping him out. cheers
03-06-2010, 11:20 PM,
Congrats m8Big Grin
03-07-2010, 12:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2010, 02:14 AM by Huib Versloot.)
Well I'm not going to write an open letter but you could have the courtesy to thank Curt Cabbage in the scn description for he made the map which is clearly most of the work in this scenario.

>>> edit: see HSL explanation below which makes my remark superfluous.
03-07-2010, 01:43 AM,
(03-07-2010, 12:30 AM)Huib Versloot Wrote: Well I'm not going to write an open letter but you could have the courtesy to thank Curt Cabbage in the scn description for he made the map which is clearly most of the work in this scenario.

(02-27-2010, 09:43 PM)mwest Wrote:
(02-27-2010, 03:00 PM)Mr. Guberman Wrote: The map was made from geodata and my own experiences...having been there in '73 for a lark.
Make it happen, the good scen...
...cheers and all the best...map and all...

...scens are easy to make, when you do not have to do the complete job...but that is OK...

Hi Curt:

Thanks for your contribution of an excellent map! :)

As you will note, Terror on Tarakan uses a modified map of yours.
:bow:

I also wish to thank the following play testers who contributed greatly to the creation of Terror on Tarakan: cheers

Ed
Scud
Relayer
billki
Cole
Cam
Antoni

(Hopefully I did not leave anyone out!) :bow:

Also want to thank Jason and other developers at both Talonsoft and Matrix for the Australian and Japanese detailed OOBs.

Finally, I wish to thank countless authors from (at least) a dozen different historical sources - narratives, diaries, histories, etc. that provided the source material for my research into the battle.

So... maybe all scenario design work is a form of teamwork and leverages the assets of the greater CS community? :chin:

And yes, I agree that having a ready-made map aids in scenario design... but IMHO "good" and balanced scenarios are difficult to create and involve teamwork between the designer, play testers, and the greater CS community.

For example, my RS scenario Terror on Tarakan, went through two months of research before the first OOB was compiled. It then went through several rounds against the AI... in which some of the basic game play mechanics were adjusted. I then play tested it with Ed and a few other regular opponents... about a total of a dozen play tests... again adjusting OOBs... adjusting start locations... air support was in the early designs and then removed... naval gunfire was suggested and rejected... etc.

All of the above was done PRIOR to Terror on Tarakan being uploaded into H2H for wider play testing with the CS community. It then went through another 9+ test rounds in H2H

I also work full time, have a family, and other real life stuff... so I don't have hours upon hours to work on new designs. I do this because I want to see "good" and balanced H2H CS scenarios for players. I believe that new additions and scenarios are the "life blood" that will keep CS players interested and the game platform moving forward for years.

So... yes Curtis, I agree with you that "scens are easy to make..." but "good" and well balanced ones are not.

Maybe, as Herr Huib tersely points out, "in the scenario description" would be best. But, you can't fault him for not pointing it out in forum posts?
I thought Curt also stated that his scenarios can be used and modified in any way? (But, my memory might be wrong on that.)

I'm sure the file can be updated with a new message and uploaded, if that is what Mike and Curt want? :chin:

Congrats Mike. :thumbs_up:

We need more balanced and diverse scenarios. Especially in RS. How they get there is part of the process and hopefully not an attack upon any one person?

cheers

HSL
03-07-2010, 02:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2010, 08:11 PM by Mr Grumpy.)
:bow:
03-07-2010, 02:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2010, 02:07 AM by Huib Versloot.)
HSL, thanks for clarifying, I missed that forum post. Congrats to Mike. :thumbs_up:
Huib
(03-07-2010, 02:02 AM)Foul. Wrote: .....and i am waiting for the inevitable "I don't know why Mike bothered to use the H2H system because I don't like it" post. :rolleyes:

Don't you wish that certain members who obviously despise the very existence of the H2H would put as much energy into positive actions at the club as they do running it down or nitpicking at it??

Then there would be a benefit to everyone.....;)

Well you can't mean me, I'm probably record holder submitting test reports...
03-07-2010, 02:57 AM,
Gents: :smoke:

It is sad that certain individuals seem to feed on negativity and trying to pull others down? :( Maybe it is best just to ignore those comments?

IMHO, we have a win-win "scenario" here? I get another design through H2H (in record time?)... and the CS community gets a fun, and balanced Rising Sun scenario? :chin:

I would think that all CS players would be happy to play a new scenario... one that went through multiple revisions... and over 15 play test games? :chin:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
03-07-2010, 03:23 AM,
(03-07-2010, 02:57 AM)mwest Wrote: Maybe it is best just to ignore those comments?

Indeed you are correct! ;)

Well done, look forward to your next offering. Big Grin
03-07-2010, 03:30 AM,
I'd agree it's probably best to ignore them if you don't like what you see?
Far better than sending pm's in my opinion.
I admire those who are into getting the h2h section moving but perhaps a better path to follow would be to encourage members into the group rather than put posts up attacking all and sundry because of a lack of support.
When people give their' views as to why there is a lack of support, in a constructive way I might add, all of a sudden they are 'negative-minded', 'bitch-battling' and the like? - Hardly a grown up way to promote the h2h section?

regards
Peter