• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Changes you would like to see
01-09-2010, 06:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2010, 07:05 PM by P.Ako.)
RE: Changes you would like to see
tazaaron Wrote:1.Being able to flag a unit recon.

Could you explain this one please? I don't understand what are you meaning...

Another thing that i would like to see is specialized engineer battallions, this is it, engineers specialized in clearing rubble (making it faster to clean), assault engineers (this already exist, doesn't it?), mine laying engineers... etc

Oh! and the inclusion of helicopter moved (for MC, obviously) artillery, if you played Zeke's WWIII you'll find that it's impossible to make because the fallschirmjager's artillery must be in transport mode (flying) to be able to shoot!
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2010, 09:04 PM,
1) Bunker building (already mentioned) by engineers (only)

2) More settings in the PDT file. For example, company vs battalion fatigue etc. This is key for some of the later war Germans vs the hordes. Currently it is very difficult for a German company to go toe to toe with a battalion.

3) Hidden combat results (extreme FOW) - In many cases the player knows too much from ranged fire - currently you can fire your artillery until a unit disrupts then move to the next target unit etc, etc. Imagine having to fire your art / air with no idea whether it has been effective. The actual status of an enemy unit would only be obvious if it was assaulted / reconned (or possibly if a land unit moves/is adjacent).
01-09-2010, 09:10 PM,
bwv Wrote:...
- 2D "zoom-in" view (although this would likely be difficult to add to the engine)

Seconded.
01-09-2010, 09:24 PM,
Well, i like to see HPS games in general with download option because i expend 1/3 in the transport.

In the games PzC/MC...

1-Airfields, for air units the game need them because big campaigns you can destroy enemy airpower taking their airfields, important objetives in an ofensive, you prevent their use and can use then (move air units from main airfield to a secondary can limit their support)

2-some similar like in SSG games with air interdition, i want select where my planes cut enemy feets because sometimes is more interesting stop enemy movements than increase his casualties and of course, cut their supply lines.

3-Close combat, in static fronts all activity is reduced to arty combat, could be interesting send "patrols" to take prisoners or do infiltration in urban terrain, not assaults because PzC engine and urban warfare arent good friends at least for the attacker.

4-Change isolation rule, i never understand why an unit in a defensive position where automatic low ammo after isolation, units usually have reserves for these situations, i like the SSG system with the jerry can, you need force then expend their supplies (i am a fan of cut and destroy but this tactic do scenarios where attacker has even a small numeric advantage so psss) before have the unsupply bonus.

5-Surrender, when you cut off enemy units here they can have a % of surrender, units with low morale arent last stand fighters here commander can play an important role.

6-Coordinate arty and infantry assault, select the enemy unit where your units attack and use it like an melee bonus, is more destructive an arty barrage in heavy defensive positions.

7-Change attack AI in units, tired to see AT unit (AT canons) shooting infantry units when the AT is stacked with infantry, all here use the tactic of move infantry to the front forcing AT units expending it shoots, same for arty where it attack armor and leave infantry alone.

8-Change score system, i want see infantry casualties, prisoners, armor and vehicles, at least divide vehicles casualties in tanks and others.

9-limit the HQ regeneration, after destroy an HQ it cant appear in the next turn!!! and with the same quality??? add more random situations (well, i note that if a unit have combat units the HQ allways return, why not units with no HQ??? we can reasign then to another).

10-Create your own supply points.
01-09-2010, 10:40 PM,
Xaver Wrote:...
4-Change isolation rule, i never understand why an unit in a defensive position where automatic low ammo after isolation, units usually have reserves for these situations, i like the SSG system with the jerry can, you need force then expend their supplies (i am a fan of cut and destroy but this tactic do scenarios where attacker has even a small numeric advantage so psss) before have the unsupply bonus.
Good points Xaver. One thing on this point though. Units isolated don't automatically go low ammo, when using the basic or VST supply rules. The unit must have fired the turn it went isolated, or while isolated - otherwise it won't go low ammo. With these fairly basic supply rules there probably isn't any way around the fire- then low ammo even though. Now using explicit supply there is no relationship at all between isolation and low ammo, so I think that gives you exactly what you want here anyway - when a scenario has that option!

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-10-2010, 12:12 AM,
IMHO, the VP system needs to be much more dynamic and real time. Awarding the same number of points for capturing an objective no matter when itfalls (turn 2 or 50) is too scripted.

1. Award diferent points depending on which move the objective falls.
2. Award points for each turn it is held - i.e. the Allied player gets 10 points/turn that Bastogne is held; the Axis gets "X" "Y" or "Z" points depending on when it is captured and a certain number of points/turn it is held; if the American retakes Bastogne then the Axis player does not lose his points; rather the Allied player starts to accumulate points/turn again.
3. Rethink the issue of VPs for destroyed units. I am hard pressed to think of a WW2 campaign where the sole objective was to simply and only to annhilate as many enemy units as possible. For example, a favorite Axis tactic in the Bulge is to try to surround and destroy as many American units as possible in the northern shoulder (99th ID, 1st ID, etc). The penanly for wasting all that time should be severe; the incentive should be to drive west asap - capture Stavelot, Seraing, Liege; bridge the Meuse (the bridges should be hotly contested VP spots) - and VPs awarded per 1./2. above. The overemphasis on unit VPs is most glaring in the East Front campaigns: if the Soviet wants to sacrifice units to slow the Axis advance then the price in terms of VPs is usuually too high for it too make too much sense in terms of the game.

Marquo[/u][/i][/b]
01-10-2010, 12:58 AM,
VP changes as above, engineer functions as above and make all functions size dependent I had a 2 man unit of engineers clearing mines at the same speed as a 500 man unit, air interdiction chance to choose X number of areas and the computer hits within a 5 hex radius for example. The air sector idea is a good one. The ability to recon is never that useful and all units could recon to an extent I would like to see the use of 1/2 MP and you get to knnow if there is a unit within 1 hex
01-10-2010, 01:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2010, 01:47 AM by SuperIke.)
For me, the engine itself is quite robust and realistic already and although adding complexity is good in some instances, it might be to the detriment of the overall balance of the game. But there is quite a few interesting suggestions made though, especially a more dynamic VP system to attribute points.

However, I certainly would like some interface improvements. The interface is really outdated not so much in terms of look which is not that important for wargaming grognards such as us (and Jison's MapMod feature has already made PzC games so much more pleasing to the eye) , but especially in terms of functionality, flexiblity and user-friendliness. For example, there should be a way to assign our own keyboard shortcuts to functions. As an example, one of the most used functions for me is the "Used Movement Points" highlighting. It's a must if you want to insure you haven't forgotten to move some units during your turn. Curiously, there is no keyboard shorcut for this very important one. Lots of mouse wandering around the screen could be saved by having the possibility to customize more shortcuts.

Regarding the replay feature, we should have the possibility to select to review only the assaults made by the enemy and skip all indirect or direct fire. Currently, you're forced to watch everything, including the endless number of indirect fire attempts. What is most interesting is to see where actually the enemy is assaulting. When you speed up things, you end up missing all of this because everything goes in a flash.

I also agree with Hank regarding resizable boxes.
01-10-2010, 01:54 AM,
I would very very very much like to see a find HQ command, Not a dialog box. Highlight a unit, press alt c, and a line appears ................ from the unit to its HQ. In large scn units get lost and many skip levels of command and us color blind people have a very hard time when we highlight a HQ and find all the units.

Second, to be able to declare a unit not on or using a road, call it tacical mode. Trying to move thru some tiny fixed position unit in the woods is impossible. Worse your army is retreating and 2 men are holding a plunger to blow a bridge and the entire rest of there unit is standing on the road and won't let any past.
01-10-2010, 03:34 AM,
Know this has been brought up before but I'd still like to see a hot key added for moving in & out of rail mode.