• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Changes you would like to see
01-09-2010, 01:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2010, 01:39 AM by bwv.)
Changes you would like to see
just thinking about some modest, incremental improvements to the PzC engine people would like to see

Mine are:
(please tell me if any are there and I missed them)

- faster fire resolution, like the speed when fast AI is running - do not know why, when the sound effects are turned off that there has to be such a delay to flash the results when a unit fires

- ability to do AI fire with only artillery

- ability to have the AI concentrate all available artillery on a particular target selected by the player

- 2D "zoom-in" view (although this would likely be difficult to add to the engine)

- demos from HPS of new game series (like at least one demo for Pzc, one for ancient battles etc) with perhaps the complete intro/tutorial scenario and one turn of the main campaign

- ability to purchase HPS titles on direct download, CDs seem so archaic and add needless expense
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2010, 02:20 AM,
RE: Changes you would like to see
For fire resolution, if ou F7 during the replay at least, it will speed up and carry over into your turn for all fire. I like that but no way to switch it on during your turn, I think.

One thing I would like for PzC that many maybe wouldn't - Glenn and I have talked about it and both thought of it but it probably won't happen - is a variable movement each turn, based on quality, to represent better command and responsiveness in higher quality units. My thought is, as an optional rule, each movement command you gave would start out with full movement available, the same amount for EVERY unit with that type and speed. Then for each hex of movement it would be checked to see if it made the move or not based on the unit quality - A would almost always make the move and thus generally move near full possible movement, but still a bit variable and might fail at a critical time, while E quality would fail fairly often, and sometimes maybe fail to move at all, other times move better/farther than normal. The system would keep retrying a move until it worked or movement points ran out. But I see this making it harder to make the perfect moves, especially when attacking, and making players more cautious! Probably hard to implement but it is something I like as being realistic and adding a bit more C&C to the game.

See the French forces thread for why I like this!
Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-09-2010, 02:38 AM,
I'd like to see victory point hexes be able to change in value. This would reward a good delaying action or an extremey rapid advance.
Also VP hexes should be required to trace supply like a unit in order to count. If they are isolated then no points.
01-09-2010, 03:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2010, 04:35 AM by P.Ako.)
I would like to see....

More Modern Campaigns games Big Grin

Some engine change to make urban terrain more hard to fight

The inclusion of some type of new hexagon to represent airfields

The possibility oif create your own strategic decissions within the game, IE, if the enemy have fortified itself in the other side of a river, it's the 100th turn, you have no more "standard" strategical decisions and you have an "idle" (IE, resting or not in the combat line) airborne division that was deployed in the second turn, then you could stage a paratrooper launch with their subsequent cost in supplies and so on...
01-09-2010, 04:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2010, 04:52 AM by Hank.)
While I'm here I'll chime in too.
My comments are more directed at user interface.

Make all dialog boxes resizeable. Some are (I think) and some are not (I know). Such as the "Strength" box under Info menu. That would be a great dialog box if it was expandable, and persistent. (in other words when you resize it, and drill down to a unit, after you close the window and reopen it, its in the same state as you left it)

Same holds true for the "Organization" dialog box. Also, if you could have more than one dialog box open at one time you could use the "Find Unit" dialog along with the Organization box to find units more easily. At this time, you have to know exactly the name of unit to find it.

I know with small sce's this is not such a big deal but with larger sce's it can be very helpful.
All dialog boxes should be expandable and persistent. The more I look while typing this, I don't think any are expandable.

and to back up one of the OP's post. I too would like to see AI firing for Arty only. I play primarily against the computer and I like to occassionally have a mad minute and let the AI fire but more often I would rather have that mad minute with the artillery I have not moved.
01-09-2010, 07:07 AM,
1.Being able to flag a unit recon.

2.Porting over the air model or something similar from the Total War in Europe series.

3.It was brought up in another thread the ability of some ENG to build bunkers.

I could probably come up with more but would be happy with the first 2.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
01-09-2010, 08:49 AM,
This may received mixed reviews: a counter which reveals how many times a saved file was opened or attempts at a re-move; ACOW has this and it works fine.

Marquo
01-09-2010, 10:01 AM,
Marquo Wrote:This may received mixed reviews: a counter which reveals how many times a saved file was opened or attempts at a re-move; ACOW has this and it works fine.

Marquo
This feature exists on TOAW (i think) and causes some issues, as players who play parts of a large move and then like to save it (to come back to later) feel they cannot do this in case they are suspected of cheating.

It was also proved that other innocent activities (like creating a AAR) produced reports of multiple reloads.

So pros and cons......
01-09-2010, 10:01 AM,
Air game big time. I brought that up in a post some time ago. Especially in campaigns you are acting as the CinC, you would have more control over air than you do now. Interdiction is grossly over done, it suffers no aa even against an aa unit, never fatigues, suffers no losses. In Danube from I think turn 2, it is totally atrocious. Bases and ac units should be represented on the map, ranges implemented and whatever else needs to be done. I played an Alamein game where I counted over 80 interdiction hits in one turn all the way back to Alexandria. In Danube, I am suffereing alomst half that many attacks every turn very early in the game when one has to think how many thousands of ac would be in the air and with nobody having air superiority that that many strikes would be getting thru. I think an air game where you assign your squadrons to Ground Support, Intercept, Air Superiority and Interdiction roles makes sense. Have an air map split into sectors so if your squad doesn't have the range to reach the sector, it cannot be used there unless you relocate it to be within range. How much AS you have in a given sector affects how good or bad the enemy interdiction could be. Stuff like that.
01-09-2010, 01:56 PM,
All I would really like at the moment is a better replay feature. I am always watching the game play out while nothing is actually occurring on the screen. A way to speed up fire resolution would be nice too, like maybe if a unit fires three times instead of seeing the casualty total for each one maybe we can see the overall casualties and the number of times fired and the like.